Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-05-2020, 03:14 AM   #1

SUN #12117
MillerLife is an unknown quantity at this point
1998 Saturn T-22B Roof

Hello,

That storm came through here yesterday and we found water. Turns out there’s an approximate 3x3” hole in front of the AC unit. I’m not sure whether we should patch the hole or replace the roof.
Advice about either. Directions/YouTube videos. Product requirements and things to look out for would all be very helpful.
This is our first. Thank you!

Old 08-05-2020, 07:10 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
To help with replace or fix the hole, some things to think about.

Did a lot of water get into the roof system? Meaning water in the attic of the camper. And what water damage did it do? Fixing the hole by patching it outside will not correct or dry out water damage in the attic that will later cause long term damage to the attic area. How would you deal with fixing the water damage in the camper from the hole?

Did water go all over inside the camper at the floor level? That is separate and in addition to the roof.

On water leaks, if you can get to them soon after they happen, (days and not more then 2 weeks) to dry everything out, then fix the leak where it came in, it really helps lower the odds of dry rot and wet rot from damaging good wood in the camper. You can actually recover without a lot of rebuilding of bad wood if you get to it soon after it happens. You may not be able to complete the repair in the 2 weeks, but you can cover the camper with a tarp until you can complete the repair. The main thing, dry it out before rot starts.

Leaks not known about, those are the ones that do great damage as months and years go by with wet wood and then it rots structural member completely apart.

A 1998 campers rubber roof can be close to the point the rubber roof needs to be coated or replaced. It all depends on how well is was cared for all it's life and if stored inside or out. And is there other water damage from years back. If you really like the camper, it is in good shape and want to keep it a long time, replacing the roof, repairing any damage from this past storm is a very good decision.

This is a complete post on tear off, and installing a new rubber roof on a Sunline. In this case, a full walk on roof decking was added 3/8" plywood, but it does add weight and this camper had enough weight carrying ability to handle it. I have used 3/16" actual exterior glue floor underlayment sheets on other campers roofs to save weight.
https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...avy-16834.html

That post will show you what is involved and how to repair front and rear wall water damage if you find any. If you can do the work yourself as you have wood tools etc, the cost of a new roof is more tolerance. To hire this out, the labor cost will be high. Possibly more then the camper is worth in a depreciated status.

PS. odds are high your rubber roof is not a direct walk on roof, you will have to use small manageable size sheets of plywood on top of the rubber to hold your weight and span the rafters. Use a trap or other means to protect the rubber if you are keeping the original roof.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:24 AM   #3

SUN #12117
The hole has been there so I’m expecting other issues. I was already planning on replacing the ceiling and walls, so tearing out the ceiling will be happening just as soon as we get the newly received jacks under it.

I’ll go check out the post you linked. I saw a post yesterday where someone listed a rubber roof from rv pro dotcom. The link didn’t work but I did get to their website. I’m a little confused at the options. It seems like there’s a rubber option and a pvc option. By the foot and as a kit.

My original plan with this camper was to fix it, use it for a bit then flip it. Now I’m thinking I might just keep it and still get another one. 😁 Either way, I want to do it right. I don’t want to cut corners. I’m documenting everything that gets done.

Thanks so much!

Oh! Thanks regarding spanning the top with plywood to make it walkable while working on it. I was trying to figure out about that!
Old 08-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #4

SUN #89
Hi Miller,

RV roofing material, there are 3 main "currently common" types,

1. Dicor brand, Bright "Ply", EPDM rubber, 40 mils thick. This is what Sunline used on all their campers with a rubber roof.
https://dicorproducts.com/product/di...ber-roofing-3/

2. TPO, which is not EPDM it is an Olefin based product , one of the more popular brands of TPO, is by Alphas Systems. They trade name of their TPO is Superflex. It is 30 mils thick. https://www.alphallc.us/product/roofing/

3. PVC, this is a modified plastic materiel. There are a few manufacturers of it, one of the larger ones is Lasalle Bristol https://www.lasallebristol.com/xtrm-ply-pvc/. Their trade name is XTRM Ply. I cannot find it quickly, but I measured my one project camper that has it, and it is approx 27 mils thick.

All 3 of them state they are the best, longest lasting, and the list goes on.

Each has +/- to it.

I have used an amount of the Dicor EPDM and have no issues with it. It is tried and true since campers started having rubber roofs over all aluminum. The other 2 have not been around as long as the EPDM, and now have worked through many of the new products challenges when they first came out.

I can't say you will go wrong with any of the 3. There is a lot of TPO and PVC being used by the current manufactures. EPDM is not totally gone but may not be used as much.

Low cost in the RV industry is immense. Many new innovations are driven by a lower cost to install price for RV manufacturing, not that they last longer.

The topic of which roof materiel to use, is of great discussion if you want to drill into the details. Look over what I linked and see if you can figure out which may be better for you. Then report back and we can compare notes.

I have in the past bought 4, Dicor Brite ply EPDM rubber membranes from these folks. RecPro out of Elkhart. I get it by the foot as it is cheaper in many cases. https://www.recpro.com/rv-roofing/

I looked today for the EPDM to link it for you, could not find it. I just bought a camper roof of it in April this year from them. So I called them, they no longer offer EPDM. ???? They offer TPO and PVC.

Heads up on the wording they use, If it does not say EPDM it is not really a rubber roof membrane. They are using wording Superflex Rubber roofing which is really TPO. Then they call out RecPro PVC rubber roof kit. Which is PVC and not rubber at all. I think they are using the "rubber" word as a generic word for what flexible roofs used to be. If you read the detail, it does state TPO or PVC.

I asked why they discontinued the EPDM. The lady had to think, and then said they have a hard time getting it and now offer the PVC in place of it.

RecPro is a good company to buy from. Never had any issues and their prices are good. Fast turn around too. The pricing on rubber roofs in the past where all over the map. From $350 at RecPro for a 27 ft camper all the way to almost $1,000 for the same product at other places. But, research what you are buying before ordering. Also see what frieght costs.

Now that RecPro does not offer the EPDM, I myself may have to find another source to buy from or change roof types. I have 3 more project campers to buy roof membranes for in the semi distant future. So I too need to sort this out as it seems my tried and true go to may not be available as much anymore.

Hope this helps.

John

Good luck on your project. Consider creating a post on the repair with pics. We all learn from these discussions.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #5

SUN #12117
JohnB your are the ��! Thanks so much. I will definitely be taking lots of pictures and will do a post on the whole thing with pictures!
I’ll study all this information, get the ceiling pulled out, assess any further damage and then see where I stand. I’ll report back with all I find out.
Thanks again!
Old 08-05-2020, 04:55 PM   #6

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
John, I find it curious that the supplier you talked to said EPDM is hard to procure. It's quite readily available at all the roofing supply houses in my area.

Now that's for typical residential "flat roofs". Is there some different arcane formula for EPDM intended specifically for RVs?
Old 08-06-2020, 04:14 AM   #7

SUN #12117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
John, I find it curious that the supplier you talked to said EPDM is hard to procure. It's quite readily available at all the roofing supply houses in my area.

Now that's for typical residential "flat roofs". Is there some different arcane formula for EPDM intended specifically for RVs?
Excellent question. My husband said he might be able to get enough commercial EPDM for free to do the roof! I didn’t consider there could be a difference.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:19 PM   #8

SUN #89
There is a difference with commercial EPDM. It is many times better! and heavier. EPDM on buildings is still very available. I have to re-read up on the commercial white layer and it's differences from the RV shedding white layer.

I have looked into using the commercial 0.060" white EPDM before. It does cost more then RV, and it comes 10 ft wide and we only need 8 1/2' on a camper. We would cut off a 1 1/2 ft and not use it. The price can be about 2X but you are getting a warranty better then any RV roof. Cost creeps in big time in the RV world as a factor on what they will use and how long it will last.

In 2018 I bought 2 camper roofs worth out of 0.040" thick RV EPDM out of RecPro. A 27' length ($304) and a 21' length ($237). In March of this year, I bought .040" thick RV EPDM out of RecPro for 17' length ($221). The price went up but still not that bad. All costs are tax and delivered.

For 0.060" commercial white EPDM it sells today for $19/ft plus freight, and tax on 10 ft wide. A 27' length would be $513 plus tax and freight. But for 0.060" it has a lot better warranty. This is where I have this from https://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=15884

The weight and cost is something to think about as each camper may be in a different place if they can take on the more weight. Cost, comes in with, how long do I want it to last? The membrane that is. All the caulking and sealants need other attention to last as long as the RV membrane. And there are ways to do that too.

Commercial roofing is an option, if it works on your case.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:56 AM   #9

SUN #12117
In our case, we can possibly get the commercial EPDM for free. It might behoove people to search for a local roofer to purchase leftovers from. Might even get that free hookup!
I’ll try to figure out the weight per linear or sq foot of each to compare.
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #10

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerLife View Post
In our case, we can possibly get the commercial EPDM for free. It might behoove people to search for a local roofer to purchase leftovers from. Might even get that free hookup!
I’ll try to figure out the weight per linear or sq foot of each to compare.
Thanks for the info.

You can't beat free! Just make sure it is the white top color so it reflects the sun rather then attract the heat. They also sell all black, but I think that is more in very cold climates as they want the added heat from the roof. All the factory buildings I have seen (not that many) in Ohio with rubber roofs are white.

Also, they do make 75 & 90 mills thick commercial ribber roofing. They last longer, but the weight is also much more.

I have the weight of the normal RV 40 mill thick somewhere. I'll hunt and see if I can find it so you can compare.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #11

SUN #12117
I don’t know what this will be black or white but I was thinking if black we could put that white coating over top.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:55 PM   #12

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerLife View Post
I don’t know what this will be black or white but I was thinking if black we could put that white coating over top.
Yes, there are coatings made rubber camper roofs, and they are all white and they are made to bond to the rubber and withstand a RV roof environment. Need to compare costs though, as those rubber roof coatings do cost and are contending with being cheaper then an all new RV roof, but they are still costly.

See what you can find from your friend. If it needs to be coated, we can help with some options to help you sort out the costs.

Tags
1998 sunline, roof repair, t-22b