Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-28-2007, 10:43 PM   #1

SUN #494
LarryF
1996 Solaris T1700 roof leak

My ceiling over closet in bathroom feels damp and wall near corner was wet . I looked at roof and found material [rubber?] had sagged and puddled.
Does anyone know what that material is? And can it be patched?
It is pliable and puddled in several places HELP !!
Larry

Old 12-29-2007, 12:01 AM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1996 Solaris T1700 roof leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryF
My ceiling over closet in bathroom feels damp and wall near corner was wet . I looked at roof and found material [rubber?] had sagged and puddled.
Does anyone know what that material is? And can it be patched?
It is pliable and puddled in several places HELP !!
Larry
Larry,

As I said in the other topic, your material is rubber. It is actually a rubber material with a cardboard like material called bud board underneath. If you have a true roof leak, the ceiling luan panel should be rippled from the water getting it wet. Unless you see true tears in your roof, there should be no need to patch/replace it. Most likely, you need to just seal your seams at all edges and at roof accessories like roof vents and vent caps. If this was never done by previous owner(s), it should be done ASAP. The product I've used for sealing seams is Dyco Seam Seal. It simply brushes on the seams like thick paint:

It should be available at your local RV store.

I wouldn't worry about any minor puddling on the roof unless there is a tear in the area where it has puddled or it is near a seam. My roof is sagged right now between the rafters because it had been snowed on and once I cleaned it off, it hasn't gotten warm enough for the rubber to take back its normal shape. If it were raining at the moment (which it did earlier this evening), it would be puddled between the rafters.

If you don't have time to get to it soon, I would suggest covering it with a RV cover, or at last resort, an ordinary tarp. Tarps aren't good because they can trap moisture underneath on the roof, but in your case, it would prevent more moisture from getting in than it would trap.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:32 AM   #3

SUN #494
LarryF
Thanks Jon

Many thanks for info
Previos owner used duct tape over small area . I have not taken tape off yet as I don't think there is an actual hole
I can make a cover for it with cordura temporarily. We are expecting more snow

Do you know if the rubberized coating is effective??

Just replaced luan underlayment under couch/bed with 3/8 ply - much better support
Also do you know where I can get owners manual.? I can pretty much figure out everything myself, but it's nice to know design info
Great support here -Thanks Larry