Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-30-2022, 08:53 AM   #1

SUN #11951
SiaraTaomi is an unknown quantity at this point
1995 Sunline T1700 hose connectors

Hey all

I need some help….again! While recently replacing my water heater I twisted one of the connectors too tightly and broke it! Is this something I can replace or do I have to replace the entire hose? I’ve attached photos for reference.

To clarify, I broke the connector on the hose. Not the water heater.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:43 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi,

You came with really good pic's so we can see exactly what you are up against.

The gray piping you have is 1/2" polybutylene which has been discontinued. It is an older version of the newer PEX piping.

There are a few ways to replace the broken fitting, first off, a heads up to not get tricked by accident. The older polybutylene or PB and the new PEX piping have slightly different OD's and the fittings that go on each of those pipes, they look close, but are not. So you have to adapt between the PB and the PEX piping if you cannot find a direct PB fitting that will attach to the old PB pipe and then directly screw onto the 90 deg elbow on the back of the water heater.

There a a few ways to replace the cracked fitting. This depends on if you happen to have the correct crimping tools or not. In my case I have the crimping tools as I deal with PEX often, here is how I would make the fix, but again I have the tools so the fitting cost is lower.

I buy a 1/2" PB to PEX union with crimp rings. Cut the old PB pipe back a about 4 to 6 inches, put the union in place. This PB to PEX union. https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1...ing/1000182965

Then I get a short piece of 1/2" PEX tubing, clamp onto the union and then crimp on a 1/2" PEX swivel fitting that will crimp onto the PEX pipe and screw directly onto the 90 degree elbow on the back of the water heater
https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1...ing/1000182933

If you have a friend with the PEX crimping tools, that is a good way to go.

If you do not have the tools, here is another option. Sharkbite makes push to connect fittings to do what I called out above that does not require the crimping tools. These fittings cost more, but may be cheaper then buying the crimp tools and only use them once.

1/2" PB to 1/2" PEX union https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1...ing/1000182553

Then get a short piece of 1/2" PEX pipe. https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1...ipe/1000386513

Then get a 1/2" PEX Swivel push to connect fitting that will screw onto the 90 degree below on the end of the water heater. I cannot find this in the Sharkbite brand. But I have found it in the Flair-IT brand, you do not need a special tool for this. https://www.flairit.com/flair-it/ada...el-flairit.php Sunline used the Flair-It brand on the newer campers.

Amazon calls it out here.
https://www.amazon.com/Flair-16873-P...00BOBZCW&psc=1

Something I just noticed on the Amazon description is, they call out the Flair it fitting to fit on PEX or PB which I can't seem to find that info on the Flair it site. If that Amazon description is correct, you can just use the Flair-It fitting Flair-It 16873 Plastic Faucet Term, 0.5" Size,White, will be the easiest. Cut off the old PB cracked fitting and screw on the Flair and that's it. Just make sure the pipe cut is square and clean up the ends to be smooth and true. Water pump pliers work OK on these fittings to tighten the nut. It you need help on the fitting, ask.

Heads up, if you go with the Sharkbite push to connect fittings, the pipe has to be prepped correct or can will tear the O ring inside and it will leak. Here are some good videos on working with the push to connect fittings

Also, the gray elbow fitting on the back of the water heater requires the swivel fitting to have a tapered cone washer in it to create the water seal. Do not get a standard 1/2" NPT fitting thinking it will seal off. The gray fitting has straight running threads, not tapered.

Sharkbite I thought use to make a 1/2" PB to 1/2" Swivel PEX fitting but I cannot find it, they may have discontinued it. Maybe someone else knows of it and where to buy it.

Hope this helps and let us know how you make out. This topic comes up every now and then on the older gray PB piping.

John

JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 07:09 AM   #3

SUN #11951
SiaraTaomi is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you so much!! I appreciate the detail and all the info.