Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #1

SUN #3026
bastage is an unknown quantity at this point
1994 Sunline Saturn t-1550

Hi everyone,

I'm about to purchase a 1994 T-1550 -- but there is one small thing I need clairification on... I don't quite get how the cabinet bed works... my wife has stated that she wants a small trailer where she can have a bed always setup... and I believe that the T-1550 seems to fit the bill here... I'd be able to leave the dinette setup, and 'hopefully' leave the cabinet bed setup...

Is this possible? I realize that this is a tiny, baby travel trailer... and that space will always be at a preimum... just looking for some suggestions from current owners that can shed some light on this for me before I pull the trigger and buy this trailer.

If at all possible, can someone upload some photos that would illustrate this for me?

Best regards, and hoping to be on team Sunline soon
Joe

Old 10-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #2

SUN #481
clueless campers is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Joe,

Here is the brochure for the 1994 Sunlines. The floor plan for the T-1550 is on page 4.

There is a strap that holds the front edge of the cabinet bed up to the ceiling. Undo the strap and the bed drops down to rest on the top of the cornice board over the windows. I believe the mattress is just a couple inch thick pad.

I think the cabinet bed has a weigh limit of 100 lbs and is meant to be used by children. It probably isn't very comfortable either since the mattress is just a thin pad that folds and stores in the cabinet.

If you have the vehicle to tow a larger trailer, the 19 ft or larger ones have an actual bedroom and full bath instead of a wetbath. The T-1950 and T-2363 are very popular. I towed our T-2363 with a 6-cyl Explorer for short distances until we got the F-150. We do use a weigh distribution hitch and antisway. You will also need an electronic brake control system.

Best of luck in finding a Sunline to fit your needs and offer you many years of happy camping.

clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless campers View Post
Hi Joe,

Here is the brochure for the 1994 Sunlines. The floor plan for the T-1550 is on page 4.

There is a strap that holds the front edge of the cabinet bed up to the ceiling. Undo the strap and the bed drops down to rest on the top of the cornice board over the windows. I believe the mattress is just a couple inch thick pad.

I think the cabinet bed has a weigh limit of 100 lbs and is meant to be used by children. It probably isn't very comfortable either since the mattress is just a thin pad that folds and stores in the cabinet.

If you have the vehicle to tow a larger trailer, the 19 ft or larger ones have an actual bedroom and full bath instead of a wetbath. The T-1950 and T-2363 are very popular. I towed our T-2363 with a 6-cyl Explorer for short distances until we got the F-150. We do use a weigh distribution hitch and antisway. You will also need an electronic brake control system.

Best of luck in finding a Sunline to fit your needs and offer you many years of happy camping.
Dona & Joe,

With a '94, the cabinet bunk is probably not held up with a strap; there would be two pins that hold it into the wall on each side. Simply grab the metal loop, turn it up to unlock it from the safety, push up on the cabinet bed some, and then side the pin toward the center of the trailer. Do that on the other side and then let the bed down onto window valances.

As Dona said, the cabinet bunks are only rated for 100# total per cabinet bunk, so you probably can't use it the way you want. I suppose you could do some major modifications to use it for that purpose, but it wouldn't be easy. I think the major weak point would be the window valance supports, and then the hinges themselves. So you'd basically have to build an elevated platform in place of the existing cabinet setup to use it like you want.

Historically, I see many 1550 owners who just devote the entire rear lounge to a permanent bed, and then just use the dinette and outside for sitting space. The advantage is you can un-make the bed and put it back into the lounge setup if the weather is bad.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #4

SUN #3026
bastage is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank-you, both... for your replies... I didn't realize that there was a 100# weight rating on the front bed... thank goodness I found this web fourm and you guys were able to provide this fantastic information. I will have to think about this, and if I do decide on the T1550 -- I will end up modifying the front bed into something permanent by beefing up the supporting sturcture.

We currently have a pop-up now... and only use it 2 or 3 times a summer... I really like the space in the pop-up, but I would also really like to be able to just pull in to the campground and unhitch and be set to go... or to pull over on the highway and have lunch inside a travel trailer.

Anyway, thanks again for your contributions.

Best regards,
Joe
Old 10-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #5

SUN #3079
dwinch53 is an unknown quantity at this point
We have a very nice T1550 with front dinett, and rear couch that we made into a full time bed...we do more rustic or boondocking than camping with electric hook ups...it is small enough to get into great spots with great views...we enjoy our trailer...I'm sure you will enjoy it also.