Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-27-2017, 09:11 PM   #1

SUN #9409
wmoyer650 is an unknown quantity at this point
1988 Satellite T-2642 parts question

Good evening,

I've done some searching but I will be doing some more tomorrow. Especially while I have some time to breathe while working. Mostly because I'm sure these have been answered. My new acquisition is an '88 Satellite T2642. I think I have that model right. I couldn't find the sticker but I am going off the documentation. That's the one with the couch/sleeper up front and the double single beds plus cabinet bed in the back. Quite an odd layout but not bad for my family as we are now.

So as it is the Satellite has a few needs. It is going to be getting inspected this month. I am completely new to camping and have been leaning really heavily on my friends for help. Since these are parts questions I thought I'd ask in here.
So the previous owners said it would need a water heater. This seems like it might be an opportunity to do an upgrade to a thirty year old part. Where can I find one of these and is there a more modern/efficient to put in there?
Next the awning is completely off the camper with only a couple of the hangers still there. When I looked through the threads the mostly talked about the cloth. So I need to rebuild it, or have it rebuilt, from scratch. What am I looking at cost wise or where can I do this? Is it worth it? Well what's the point of a camper without an awning of course.
Next question is about the air conditioner. I haven't tested it yet but the previous owner said it worked fine. When I asked if it was R12 or R134 he said he wasn't sure. I think the switch over was about this point or a bit later. There are a lot of windows in this unit that would help this out if I have to go without an AC unit but what are my options here?
The refrigerator has a really nasty smell to it. The previous owner had the camper for 14 years and bought it from a family member who had it since new. I wouldn't be surprised if this was original equipment like a lot in the trailer. I know a lot of things for RV/trailers are pricey but what are my options here as well? Also if I wanted to keep this period looking and replace that and even maybe the stove is that possible?
I know this is a lot of questions and I apologize but I just want to get started with going out and enjoying with my family.
I posted this link of the pictures in my introductory thread but I am going to repost it here since it shows pictures that go along with what I asked above.
https://goo.gl/photos/UjqJYYgRQi4mi9Sa9
Again I really thank you for your time. Oh and I will use the search function on the forums. I've been on the internet and using forums long before the current was a thing. I know better but it's late and I did this anyway.

Wayne Moyer

Old 06-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Wayne,

Congrats on your Sunny! Fun times ahead.

On the appliances and parts. Will take these 1 at a time.

1. The hot water heater, if the tank is shot, then yes it is time for a new one. The latest is to have a LP gas with electronic ignition and 120 Volt AC combo unit. Yours was most likely all gas being an 88 unit unless someone changed it. They still do make an all gas unit brand new, so that is an option if you do not want to pay for the electric upgrade. Can you post the brand and model number of the heater you have now?

I'm assuming you have an Atwood 6 gallon unit. Prices can be all over pending where you buy them and then there is freight.

Here is what some may cost. You are being redirected...

Scroll down to the 6 gallon ones. The all gas one is cheaper then the combo gas/120 volt electric ones. This is just one place I knew had all the prices. You need to sort through what options you want/need.

2. The awning, yes the older ones where cloth. The new ones are either vinyl or a cloth acrylic material. Odds are high you will not find the same material as the one you have. They do not make them that good any more....

You can buy replacement material, it comes down to personnel choice to get the vinyl or acrylic cloth. They both have pro's and con's. Do you know what brand awning you have? Is there a name tag on it somewhere? Parts may be an issue for the frame pending the brand. But, like anything RV... they do sell and entire all new awning. Material and hardware.

Here is one option for just new awning material https://www.rvawningsmart.com/

Here is a thread on replacing the awning material http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ics-14771.html

Here is a complete Carefree Brand awning. Not knowing your size, this is a 20 footer which may be too long but you can get a handle on the cost
https://www.amazon.com/Carefree-EA20...wning+complete

The 2 popular current day brands are Dometic and Carefree. Sunline mainly used Dometic on many of the campers, but not all. There was an older brand they used but I do not know what model years. CareFree which is also a good awning, was not used by Sunline that I am aware. Again you need to sort out what brand you have and what you want in options/materials.

3. The roof AC unit. If this still works, great!!! As far as the Freon inside, most any model is not practical to repair the compressor unit unless you have an AC repair buddy who can do it for a 6 pack or free. If a control board, fan or something is bad, those parts are not so bad in cost. But when it comes to the compressor, that may end up not being a practical repair item. If it is something other then the compressor, then it may be practical to fix it. If it is totally dies, there are new replacement roof AC units. Cost ranges sort of all over pending size. Your looks like one of the older 11,000btu units. I can't find a full size 11,000btu unit quickly but a 13,500btu unit is around and $500. Dometic B57915 Brisk II RV Air Conditioner 13,500 BTU White

More digging into this is needed as the link above is just the roof unit and not the inside air box and control unit. They can be extra or you may be able to reuse the one you have now.

If cost is an issue, and an AC unit is not in the cards now, they do make fan units to go in the roof vents which are really good options. For those of us camping off the grid, roof fans are what we use as we do not have the power for the roof AC unit. Fantastic Fan and Maxx Air are 2 good and popular brands. We have the Maxx Air brand.

4. The stove, pending what is wrong with it, parts are available in many cases. Atwood bought out the Wedgewood brand long ago and are still building them, just newer models. If you want to replace the stove, yes they do sell all new stoves. Here is one. They have many options. Atwood RV-1735 BB 52458 17 Inch 3 Burner Wedgewood Vision Range Oven Black Top Black Door Trailer Camper RV

Most of today's ranges are 3 burner. Yours is 4 burner and I have not seen a new one of them in a travel trailer other then the older campers. I do not know if they sell the 4 burner RV ranges any more.

5. The fridge. I do not know what can clean out the smell. What does it smell like? If they get closed up without drying them out they can get moldy. If the fridge actually cools, then getting the stink out may be worth it. And as long as the cooling coil has not failed, getting the controls to work may be possible. A failed cooling coil is about half the cost of a new fridge. I do not know the size of the fridge in your camper if it is the bigger ones or the older smaller ones. A larger one in a mid 90's and up camper can run over $1,000 all new.

Options. Many cannot afford a new fridge and often go with a dorm style 120 VAC fridge for a fraction of the price. They loose the ability to have the 12 volt LP gas option, and they always need the 120VAC to power it, but pending how you camp, it is an option that saves a lot of cost.

Searching the forum since you mentioned it. See this link. This is a Google Custom Search of our forum. Our Admin made it for us. It works better in many cases then the embedded forum search feature. Book mark it for future use. https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=0...95:95x3m3w6lto

Scroll down to the Google Custom Search box, enter a few words and hit the blue go button.

Hope this helps as you sort out what to do.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:52 AM   #3

SUN #9409
I didn't expect an answer that thorough. Ok let's break that down.

1. It is an atwood. I found the sticker with the model number on it. I took the picture with all the info. Mines a 6G-A3.
2.The trailer is 24' long and the original hangers are still there. So I can measure them to see if they are 20' long. That twenty foot option on Amazon may actually work out well since it just gives you everything you need at once.
3. A friend and I are going to do some testing of the AC unit this weekend or next. I'll let you know what we find. If it still works then I will leave it be.
4. As for the stove I was kind of thinking about replacing it but you are right about it being 4 burner and that you dont see that on newer models. I might just leave it because of that alone.
5. The fridge is a Dometic that was swapped in '95. I found the label in it. So at some point in its life it was replaced. There is no ammonia smell in the fridge. It even has the nice "Gas" button on it for use with LP or on AC only. So I'll see how well it works on the trial run. Maybe I should have been a bit more relaxed when I posted this the first time
Old 06-29-2017, 07:17 PM   #4

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoyer650 View Post

1. It is an atwood. I found the sticker with the model number on it. I took the picture with all the info. Mines a 6G-A3.
H'mm, maybe the numbers are flipped. Is it a G6-A3? the G and 6 flipped.

The G means Gas, the 6 = 6 gallon. the A3. I'm not sure on the real old ones. They are normally like - 3P. Meaning 3 is the rev number and P means pilot relight. Not sure what the A is.

Quote:
2.The trailer is 24' long and the original hangers are still there. So I can measure them to see if they are 20' long. That twenty foot option on Amazon may actually work out well since it just gives you everything you need at once.
Cool, a good working awning is always a good usable thing.

Quote:
3. A friend and I are going to do some testing of the AC unit this weekend or next. I'll let you know what we find. If it still works then I will leave it be.
Good. Hopefully it still works, at least the compressor part.

Quote:
4. As for the stove I was kind of thinking about replacing it but you are right about it being 4 burner and that you dont see that on newer models. I might just leave it because of that alone.
Good thoughts. Maybe just a real good cleaning can help bring it back to usable life.

Quote:
5. The fridge is a Dometic that was swapped in '95. I found the label in it. So at some point in its life it was replaced. There is no ammonia smell in the fridge. It even has the nice "Gas" button on it for use with LP or on AC only. So I'll see how well it works on the trial run. Maybe I should have been a bit more relaxed when I posted this the first time
A 95 unit, OK this is a good find. If it is gas and electric, that is a great start. It is a newer one.

If the cooling coil has breached and leaked out the ammonia, you might not smell it in the fridge box. Look at the back of the unit near the boiler tube area for some yellow reside. See this post with pics and more on a cooling unit failure http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...tml#post137218

You may want to take the cover off the boiler area down at the gas valve area. Mud daubers and bees seem to like the LP smell in this area and can make nests in there. My sons popup when he bought it used had a mud dauber nest packed solid in the burner tube. Cleaned it up and it works good.

At the bottom of the boiler tube area, there is a gas valve and a small cover there. See here. Take the screw out and it will work it's way out of there. It is tight but comes out. Be careful to not flex the spark electrode as the porcelain can crack.

with the cover off looks like this

You can see the white porcelain insulator here. The red cable cover is over the electrode wire

Be careful to not get any dirt into the end of the brass jet on the end of the gas valve.

The mud daubers usually are in the burner tube area. Any yellow residue in this area are signs of an ammonia leak. This area should be cleaned out at the start of the season every year as rust and dirt fall down from the chimney tube area.

It will take a good 8 hours plus to feel anything getting cold in the fridge. The pipes on the back of the fridge will be getting hot if it is starting to do something. But, heads up they get hot too on a leaking cooling coil but more localized at the burner and not all over. Put a small dish or cup of water in the freezer and see if it freezes or starts to freeze, that is a good way to tell short of a thermometer in the fridge.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

John

Old 06-29-2017, 07:47 PM   #5

SUN #9409
OK here is the tag for the water heater with the model information.
https://goo.gl/photos/r9yftvNicjysMwe97

Here is what the back of the refrigerator looks like matching up with the pictures you have.
https://goo.gl/photos/4efaqrBX1fzXUev18
Old 06-29-2017, 09:30 PM   #6

SUN #89
Quote:
OK here is the tag for the water heater with the model information.
https://goo.gl/photos/r9yftvNicjysMwe97

Here is what the back of the refrigerator looks like matching up with the pictures you have.
https://goo.gl/photos/4efaqrBX1fzXUev18
Ah, the HW water heater is a G6A-3

Which side of the dash means something different.

G= Gas
6= 6 gallons
A= bolt on heating element
-3 = Rev 3 of the heater

By chance, is there are 120 volt electric on the back side of the heater? A piece of romex cable would be going to a little box. There is no C in the part number which stands for combo unit but I'm not understanding the bolt on heating element A code. Odds are high there is no romex behind the heater and it is all LP gas.

On the back of the fridge, if you take that piece of sheet metal off with the wiring diagram on it, you will see the whole gas valve and the boiler area and the cover over the burner area on the bottom.

Thanks, pic's really help

John