Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-31-2018, 06:57 AM   #1

SUN #5786
Saturn1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
1986 Saturn - Seat Cushions

Hello all,

I have owned a 1986 Saturn for 4 years now. I bought it from the original owner. It is in pretty good shape and i have done my fair share of mods over the years.
- roof racks for kayaks
- receiver hitch weld to frame
- circulations fans for frig.
- installed new axle and flipped leaf springs.
- installed spare tire carrier under camper.

My new project is focused around making our sleeping experience more comfortable.

I would like to replace the cushions for the dinette. It takes about five minutes before my hip and shoulder are digging into the wood below. There must be some folks that have experience with what has worked best.

Any thought are appreciated, thanks!

Old 07-31-2018, 07:43 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I think I know what you are referring too, do you mean when you sit in the dinette and the seat back cushion collapses to the point you feel the wood shapes in the dinette frame digging into your back? If so I can relate just the camper is not as old as yours, ours a 2004 T2475 model.

I know the issue, the cushion foam density is not high enough to make it firmer. And the orignal foam is shot. We had this issue in our house sofa.

I have not done it on a camper (yet) but find an upholsterer who can provide new high density foam. You most likely cannot get it into your old cushion covers. But they may be able to help on how to do that if they are usable again. Or they can make you a new cover too. The cost however is most likely not cheap but end results of new covers with high density foam will outlast the camper.

We have had some club members make their own cushions. They are crafty that way. I can work wonders with steel and wood, but fabric is all new to me.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:27 AM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep, high density foam is what you need. Professional upholsterers will have a variety of densities to choose from, based on the firmness you want. For example, a car or boat will need a higher density to keep you cushioned from road bumps. A trailer can probably go a little softer since you don't sit in it while moving, and it'll make for a better bed.

To get it into your cushion covers, they may have a very thin plastic available to wrap the foam in, which makes it easier to stuff into the covers. Depending on the type, it's designed to stay in and not make noise when you move on it.

Personally I wouldn't recommend new cushion covers unless you really need them. You'll need to be sitting down when you find out the cost for the new foam alone.

A potentially cheaper option is to buy a high density foam mattress topper. The problem is, you really don't have anywhere to store it in the trailer if you unmake the bed.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:43 AM   #4

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
A potentially cheaper option is to buy a high density foam mattress topper. The problem is, you really don't have anywhere to store it in the trailer if you unmake the bed.
I am having the same issue. The dinette seats are so uncomfortable and cause me hip pain! The couch when sleeping on it as a bed was also uncomfortable. I bought a memory foam topper for it and the two issues I am having is 1) too soft but I couldn't go too firm or I would not be able to roll it up 2) no where to store it when using the back as a couch. The two weekends that I have spent in there, I did not get much sleep because it was uncomfortable, hip and back pain. The memory foam topper (3-inch thick) helped some but not much. I did find a mattress online that would fit but then that would mean the back would always be a bed and I would not be able to use it as a couch.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #5

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomascine View Post
I am having the same issue. The dinette seats are so uncomfortable and cause me hip pain! The couch when sleeping on it as a bed was also uncomfortable. I bought a memory foam topper for it and the two issues I am having is 1) too soft but I couldn't go too firm or I would not be able to roll it up 2) no where to store it when using the back as a couch. The two weekends that I have spent in there, I did not get much sleep because it was uncomfortable, hip and back pain. The memory foam topper (3-inch thick) helped some but not much. I did find a mattress online that would fit but then that would mean the back would always be a bed and I would not be able to use it as a couch.
I've found that same problem with stock Sunline bed mattresses too. I'm a side sleeper, and these mattresses just aren't good for that at all. I have a memory foam topper in my '97 and it definitely helps, but since it's a dedicated bed, I don't have to move it. It does make lifting up the bed for storage very difficult, but the previous owner left an old vacuum extension tube behind that works perfectly for propping up.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:00 PM   #6

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, at least Sunline cushions are better than a lot of campers. I’ve seen some that are a joke.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:58 PM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomascine View Post
Tommie,

I can relate to the problem. I'll pass this along as it may help

I have found memory foam toppers work well on stiff solid beds. The topper will not fix a bad underlying mattress but can make a hard unbearable mattress sleep well. You may sleep better on the memory foam without the mattress under it. I never tried that but using it on a bad mattress just plain does not work. We had that too along the way on our Sunline camping adventures. If you do not sleep well while camping it will wear you down to the point you may not want to go. There has to be a fix! So we tried several.

Something I learned from my tent camping days and something I still do if my lower back goes out and I'm camping. Therm a rest camping mattress. These guys https://www.thermarest.com/

They have a "lot" of choices now. Almost too many. During my back packing and canoe camping days I had a 2" Therm a rest mattress and I could sleep on a solid rock if I needed too. And it would roll up to fit in my backpack and weighed very little. As an option, in your small camper where things fold up all the time, then do sell 2 and 3" and extra wide mattress too. If you have a solid plywood surface, use a sheet on the wood then the therm - a rest and your bedding or sleeping bag on top. You can adjust the amount of air in the mattress. While they use air, this is not like a vinyl air mattress they use at a pool.

Another option. We use to use these in our Pop Up. The mattress in there where not sleepable either. This is a link to Target but other stores sell them
https://www.target.com/s/coleman+camping+air+beds

We had a king bed PU. We used 2 twin mattresses. I liked hard for my back, Cindy like mush... They worked great. We slept beautifully on them. Get the battery air pump runs on 2 D batteries. These just need a solid surface to sleep on. And they do not cost a lot. We had the $39 one. Still have them in the basement. Grandkids use them now for a sleepover.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:07 AM   #8

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post

Another option. We use to use these in our Pop Up. The mattress in there where not sleepable either. This is a link to Target but other stores sell them
https://www.target.com/s/coleman+camping+air+beds
Thanks JohnB. I started looking at air mattresses a couple days ago. Not sure if Saturn1986 is interested in that option but I am considering it. I am having a hard time finding a good one that will fit in that area. A twin is not wide enough and a full is too wide. I did find one on Amazon that will fit but it did not get good ratings, maybe three stars. My next camping trip is a week long and I need to find something before then.

I am interested to see what Saturn1986 does with the dinette seats. Those are causing comfort issues as well.

Thanks,
Tommie
Old 08-02-2018, 10:47 AM   #9

SUN #5786
Saturn1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
I’m back from vacation and work has consumed any thoughts of the dinette cushions!

I have tried the camping mattresses in the past and they do help. They also easily slip under bunk cushions to store them when not sleeping on them.

I may look into a thicker Therma-a-rest option for now to delay a big project.

I will give updates.....
Old 08-09-2018, 12:34 PM   #10

SUN #8126
Anthony Simo is an unknown quantity at this point
I think you should let "sleeping dogs" lye.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #11

SUN #1342
cnash1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
I measured and custom ordered foam for my 2251 from a website called the Foam Factory:

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/

You can select density of the foam and they tell you how to properly measure. Not cheap but well worth it.

TV: 2008 Chrysler Aspen
cnash1970 is offline   Reply With Quote