Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-06-2015, 03:31 PM   #21

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Probably not. The most likely cause of locking in reverse is the truck backup light wire hooked up to the trailer brake wire.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #22

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The brake controller connection is #2 both in the TV (all factory wired sockets) and the camper hooked to any thing else the brakes will not work correctly controller or not. If you connect it to pin 4 you would not be able to move it either direction.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:46 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tego View Post
Almost forgot to ask, and this was my original question: Would adding the controller make them *not* lock when in reverse?

I still don't think you are "Getting" what everyone has been saying.

For the brakes to work, they need electricity from the brake controller. By being mis-wired to pin #7, they are getting electricity from the same wire that powers the backup lights on the truck. In reverse, is the ONLY time the brakes are working. That's because the backup light wire is getting electricity from the truck and the mis-wired plug is routing it to the brakes. the trailer wire on pin 7, is supposed to go to a set of backup/reverse lights. Yours does not. Since your trailer does not have backup/reverse lights, the wire in pin 7 of your plug should be unhooked, period.

To fix your problem is very easy. On your plug, is a small slotted screw. See in picture:

Remove that screw and push the black wire into the plug. That will push the end shown in the left of the above picture out. *Note* There may also be screws up by the ears, that you may have to loosen. They clamp onto the wire.

Once you have the end pushed-out, look at the center pin. It will probably have a blue wire hooked to it. If it does, remove that ONE wire from the center pin.

The screw terminal in the center (Purple wire in the picture) should be empty. Take the blue wire you just removed from the center terminal and put it on the one marked (2) in the above picture. Put the plug back together and replace/re-tighten the screw(s) You are now done!

Doing what I just laid out, will prepare you for a brake controller AND operational brakes. Also the brakes will NOT be applied, when you put the truck in reverse.

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tego View Post
Almost forgot to ask, and this was my original question: Would adding the controller make them *not* lock when in reverse?

To answer your original question..

No, adding a controller, with your plug mis-wired, will NOT make the brakes work in reverse. The plug HAS to be re-wired, before a brake controller would even work.

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:30 AM   #25

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
Tego,

Congrats on your "new to you" trailer. I was going to say you slipped under the wire not announcing your purchase, esp. after earlier in the season conversations on the T-1550.

Some of us had a New England Meet & Greet this summer, which was very nice. Please consider joining us this next one in 2015. Looking forward to meeting you.

Please post some pictures when you can of your trailer.

Welcome also to the world of trailer perplexity.
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #26

SUN #5897
Tego is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjin View Post
Tego,

Congrats on your "new to you" trailer. I was going to say you slipped under the wire not announcing your purchase, esp. after earlier in the season conversations on the T-1550.

Some of us had a New England Meet & Greet this summer, which was very nice. Please consider joining us this next one in 2015. Looking forward to meeting you.

Please post some pictures when you can of your trailer.

Welcome also to the world of trailer perplexity.
Thanks. We were still looking for a 1550 when we got the chance at the 1750 and couldn't pass it up. It's a little bigger, as you know, and it has tandem axles. Now is not the best time for pictures but I'll post some in the spring.
We bought it in late October and for some reason I didn't mention it until this thread. We have lots of plans for the camper both work on it and camping in it. It's hard to be able to do so little with it since buying it.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #27

SUN #2097
The dual axle makes a big difference in towing even with a smaller trailer. Last year in the dead of a Maine winter out of boredom more than anything else I decided to upgrade the interior in my T1700 I think the lowest temps during this task were about -15 used a lot of propane but did manage to make some improvements. It is a disease many people are affected there is no known cure. Where in VT are you? I will be in Fairfax mid-May taking a course at the VT school of wood working if you are nearby I would be glad to help you sort out with your wiring. I actually will be camping at the school they are kind enough to let me stay there.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:22 AM   #28

SUN #5897
Tego is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
The dual axle makes a big difference in towing even with a smaller trailer. Last year in the dead of a Maine winter out of boredom more than anything else I decided to upgrade the interior in my T1700 I think the lowest temps during this task were about -15 used a lot of propane but did manage to make some improvements. It is a disease many people are affected there is no known cure. Where in VT are you? I will be in Fairfax mid-May taking a course at the VT school of wood working if you are nearby I would be glad to help you sort out with your wiring. I actually will be camping at the school they are kind enough to let me stay there.
I'm tempted to move my car and truck out of the garage and have a winter-long go at mine.
I think you might be the guy with the fancy backsplash? If so I saw your pics and found them to be an inspiration and so did my wife when I showed her. There is, however, a few more "meat and potatoes" issues to deal with first such as two soft spots in the front corners of the floor which leads to obvious roof issues. I put a tarp over it for the winter to avoid adding to this issue. The people we bought it from used it as-is for the last few years, but there's no way I'm not fixing the floor/roof situation.
I'm in what's known as the Northeast Kingdom of VT, close to Littleton, NH. I've never been to Fairfax but if I don't have my light issue fixed by mid-May I'll hook the #@$%#@ thing up and head there with it.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:20 AM   #29

SUN #2097
Yes I know Littleton it's about an hour or so from me through Crawford notch. Fairfax is near Cambridge north of Burlington I have relatives in Huntington. I'm retired and all ways up for an adventure let me know how you make out.