Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Que
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-12-2007, 06:13 PM   #1

SUN #119
rookie
QUE Tow Vehicle

Hi All,

Any thoughts on the minimum tow vehicle for a QUE?

I really want a Ford Sport Trac (2007), but not sure if it has enough gumption. Tried pulling it with my current '98 Explorer, but it was not comfortable. Class III hitch and all.

I just do not like driving a full-size truck

This Sunline model was supposed to be a comfortable tow for SUV's. My TV meets all the requirements, but it still feels "soft".....

Old 03-13-2007, 08:21 AM   #2

SUN #149
nasa42a
Rookie.....(aren't we all rookies with the Que models?)

We just finished a 2-week shakedown on our Que SE (PA to FL, then return). We left with a 2000 Ford F-150 TV..... a carryover from the 25' Sunline we downsized from.....which was complete overkill.

In Lake City, the Toyota dealer made us an offer we couldn't refuse, and we traded the F-150 for a Toyota Tacoma Prerunner 6 Doublecab (crew cab) 4x2 with a short bed and tow package. Towed home with it to PA (we continue to use our Reese equalizing hitch & friction sway control...even with the Que)... Not much more wind effect from passing tractor trailers than with the F-150. Plenty of power (V-6 is 236 hp on regular gas), and 31% better gas mileage towing than the F-150 got on the same route.

We're extremely happy with the Tacoma.

Frank & Sharon

nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:53 AM   #3

SUN #182
AprilWhine
We tow our Que with a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Works fine and more stable than a Class C motorhome we used to own.

AprilWhine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #4

SUN #196
tinybluetj
We are currently towing with our Grand Cherokee, but we have no swaybar and her tranny is starting to slip, so it is not all that comfortable. We will probably upgrade in a year or so. For now we are going to put new springs in her rear, and get an anti sway device, and see how it goes.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #5

SUN #128
Tweety
Using a Chevy TrailBlazer with a 4.2L I6 with extra tranny cooler. No weight distribution hitch so far. We only towed the 5 miles home from the dealer. She seemed powerful enough, and towed nice and smooth.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:38 PM   #6

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Rookie,

Here's the short answer:
The 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Track should be OK.
I would recommend getting the 4.6L V8 with 3.73 gears and the tow package. This will give you a Max Tow Rating of 6,800 lbs for 2wd or 6,640 lbs for 4wd.
The GVWR of your Que is 3,500 lbs. So it's well within the Sport Track's tow rating.
Also for additional safety and towing comfort, make sure you get a good WD hitch and have is setup correctly. That is just as important as getting the right tow vehicle.

The 4.0L V6 gives you 5,310 lbs 2wd & 5140 lbs 4wd which would also be ok. But it's always better to have more towing capability than you need.
I'll bet you'll never hear someone say in a campground "I wish I had a smaller tow vehicle".

We've had 3 Sunlines, and with each one we had to upgrade our tow vehicle. So it's also nice to have more towing capability just in case you upgrade your trailer in the future, you won't need to buy a new tow vehicle again.

Here's the long answer:
Use the GVWR of you Que (not it's dry weight) to help identify the tow rating you will need on your TV.

Take you're Que's GVWR than add the weight of passengers and cargo you plan to carry in your TV when towing.

The Max Tow Rating of your Tow Vehicle should be equal to or perferably more than this caluculated weight.

If the weight is a little over (e.g., few 100 lbs) of the Max Tow Rating of your TV, that's probably ok becuase this method has a built in fug factor for safety (i.e., I doubt if you'll ever have your Que loaded to its GVWR).

Another method is use the estimated loaded weight of your Que instead of the GVWR. This may be more realisted.

A third method would be use the GVWR of your Que to compare with the Max Tow Rating of the TV. GVWR of your Que should be less than or equal to the Max Tow Rating. This method assumes the sum of the weight of your loaded QUE + the weight of passagers and cargo in the TV will not exceed the GVWR of your Que.

Check out Trailer Life's Tow Rating guide at
http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175
There are listings of tow ratings for all vehicles, model years between 1999 - 2007.

But nothing replaces actually weighing your TV and Que when loaded for a trip. You can weight your TV and Que at any CAT scale.
I highly recommend that you get your setup weighed as some point. Just so you know your actual weights.

Other weights to look at are:
Make sure you don't exceed your TV's GVWR:
Curb weight of your TV + weight of passengers and cargo + tonque weight of your Que. This weight should be less than the GVWR of your TV.

Make sure you don't exceed your TV's GCWR:
Curb weight of TV + weight of passengers and cargo + est. weight of your Que loaded for a trip (note this weight includes both tonque & axel weight). This weight should be less than the GCWR of your TV.

If all these are meet, your within the TV's manufacturers specifications for towing and you'll be safe and the TV should have no problem towing your Que.

Hope this helps
Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:10 AM   #7

SUN #119
rookie
THANK YOU....

Thanks to all for your very helpful input regarding the TV for my QUE. A special thanks to Hutch for the detailed info.

I am going to try to beef up my current Explorer to see if that helps enough until I find my new TV.

Would a WD hitch like an Equalizer be recommended?
Thanks again to a great group!
Old 03-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #8

SUN #149
nasa42a
Rookie.....

Even though we've downsized the TT to the Que....and the downsized TV (07' Tacoma) has a 6700 lb. rating, we continue to use our Reese equalizer hitch (and bars) and friction sway control.

The issue isn't really whether or not virtually all Que owners could get by without it (we certainly could). Rather, the point is that the equalizer hitch & sway control make for a smoother ride - and less suction effect from passing tractor trailers.

The less irritation/uncertainty on the road, the more enjoyable the voyage!

Frank
Old 03-17-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Nasa42a,

You are SO CORRECT about using WD & sway control. MY theory: "better to have it and never need it, than to need it and NOT have it" I never tow without using it.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:08 AM   #10

SUN #182
AprilWhine
Hi rookie, here's a recap: You'll see a lot of opinions on what you need for towing, but the ones that matter are the ones really towing a Que.
AprilWhine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #11

SUN #98
Rookie,

My opinion: anything that helps and improves safety of towing should strongly be considered.

As other's have mentioned a WD hitch will improve safety, by helping to reduce push-pull of semi's and minmiize trailer sway. Plus a WD hitch will improve the ride comfort (an added bonus).

So I would recommend you consider a WD hitch, even if it's not needed.

Hutch
Old 03-19-2007, 08:28 AM   #12

SUN #217
Jim Ray
Good morning. New member, not new to travel trailers at all. I bought my first travel trailer in 1969, and have been involved in RV life ever since. I have been an RV repair technician since 1975.

I own a Que. Lots of good advice given above, some of it generic. The blanket statement "Better to use an equalizer hitch even if you don't neet it" can be dangerous to your Que.

The Que is a lightweight trailer, with a total GVWR of 3500 lbs. Tongue weight of 350 lbs, with a dry weight of around 2900 lbs.

The axle used on the Que is rated at 3500 lbs. The frame modulous of the Que is quite small compared to other length trailers.

I searched for an equalizer hitch for the Que. There is not generally available an equalizer hitch that is light duty enough to use with impunity on the Que.

Not only does the equalizer hitch transfer weight to the front of the vehicle to level the tow vehicle and improve the ride, it transfers the same amount of weight back to the trailer axle.

With camping supples loaded in my Que, there is not enough excess load rating of the trailer axle to support the portion of the weight of a tow vehicle, especially during travel through drive way ramps and such. I have seen and repaired trailer frames that have been bent by arbitrary use of equalizer hitches.

"I have this hitch left over from my old 32 foot trailer, I will just use it on the new one, can't hurt". It can hurt your cute little trailer a lot!

Que owners do what you want. I will not continue this discussion, I just wanted to let those of you who have the lightweight trailers know what to consider when deciding on hitches. There is a single bar equalizer hitch available that is still too heavy for the Que however it is the best available. Google will bring up those items for you.

Most two bar hitches are rated at 1000 lbs tongue weight. 1000 lb equalizer bars used with a Que and a medium sized tow SUV or truck will do damage to your trailer. Run the correct tire pressure in your tow vehicle, watch your loading, keep the tongue weight at the correct amount, and it will perform as designed. A cheap bathroom scale and a plank and pivot will allow you to easily keep track of your tongue weight.

Happy camping, hope to meet all of you guys on the road soon.
Jim
Old 03-19-2007, 10:24 AM   #13

SUN #98
Jim,

Welcome to the Forum and the Sunline Family.

It's great having someone of your professional expertise and experience here to provide insight and help.

Thanks for your insight, it was very informative (and I stand corrected - thanks!)

Happy camping.
Hutch
Old 03-19-2007, 11:56 AM   #14

SUN #196
tinybluetj
Thanks for the info, Jim! I was actuatly looking into an Equalizer. It this true with all WDHs? In your opinion, would you reccomend just anti sway, then?

(I know you said you did not want to contiune the discussion, but I just had to ask, as our Que is a bit "squirrley" !)

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:38 PM   #15

SUN #97
Woodstock
WD & light TT

Just to expand on Jim Ray's excellent commentary, I once owned a used 1985 Sunline 1750 that had considerable damage done to the frame by a former owner using a WD system that overpowered the tongue of the 1750. As a result the tongue had to be straightened and then strengthened by welding support pieces to each side of the tongue. The smallest Equal-i-zer is rated 600/6000 and has 1 1/4 inch bars....too much for the Que I would think.

David
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:59 PM   #16

SUN #149
nasa42a
Folks.....

I fully understand the points in the position outlined above....but I must tell you that I've been using WD hitches for over 35 years....including on some "small" TTs.... and have had no experience with frame or tongue damage (even with the Aerolites!!!). I'd be more inclined to attribute such damage to overtightening on the bars (too many links).
However....I'm going to take the issue (and the posts) to my long-time Sunline dealer (who set up the hitch & bar adjustments) for comment....and I'll get back to you.

Frank
Old 03-19-2007, 03:19 PM   #17

SUN #97
Woodstock
WD & light TT

Frank..good point. I do believe that improper tensioning of the chains or 'L' bracket in the case of Equal-i-zer to be the cause of the 1750 getting its tongue bent. I would guess then that the question as far as the smallest Equal-i-zer hitch is concerned would be the adjustability of the 'L' bracket. IOW, could it be lowered enough so as not to put undo pressure on the TT while still offering the benefits of the hitch design. I believe that one of the forum Que owners here stated that the Que's tongue height is 16". If so, this would put the Equal-i-zer system and others I would imagine, very close to the ground. Perhaps making ground clearence a problem. Can't say for sure....just thinking out loud.

David
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:14 AM   #18

SUN #149
nasa42a
Folks....

My final post on the WD hitch issue re: use on Sunline Que......
==>As previously promised, I went to my long-time Sunline dealer this AM, along with printouts of all posts on the issue. His technicians had transferred my WD hitch brackets to the Que, adjusted the hitch ball height, and selected the correct tension for the bars. I asked him to review and comment.
==>He noted that I had an older Reese 750-lb set of bars (I've used them on my last 4 trailers...26 to 17.7' in length). He stated that he usually uses such a hitch on his "medium sized" Sunlines. However...,
==>As installed on my TV & Que, the tightening tension on the bars is much less than the maximum possible (He used the phrase, "used common sense"). His technicians marked the correct chain links to use in the brackets mounted on the TT tongue. Just enough to smoothen the ride. There is no undue strain on TT frame or tongue.

By the way.... David's comment re: the trunnion bar tips being close to the ground is quite accurate. The tips of my Reese bars ride about 5 1/2" off the highway when in use. When removing the bars for storage, I have to raise the tongue and hitch several inches (by cranking up the jack) in order to get them out of the hitch. That's nothing new.....it's been the case with my last 4 TTs.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Frank
Old 03-20-2007, 08:19 AM   #19

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Frank,

I have a set of Draw Tite 750 lb bars with my WD hitch. My grandpa got a set a few years after we did, and he also got the 750 lb., but his bars were a lot smaller. The newer 1000 lb. bars seem to be the size of the older 750.

FYI, Reese and Draw Tite are made my the same company (just like dog food ). At least WD hitches haven't been recalled yet. I can't believe they fed the food to test dogs and 7 died-- What were they thinking???

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #20

SUN #119
rookie
I'm Baaaaack!

Whew... what a hot button topic.

Once again I am very appreciative of all the responses to the specific issue of towing our new QUE, which happens to be our FIRST and only travel coach. (hence the name Rookie)

We purchased it after researching the trailer's weight and my Ford Explorer's tow capacity. We got more than we were looking for, but it was disappointing to find, that in reality it is tough to pull even with my SUV. And we're talking dry weight / no gear.

I was told by more than one source my vehicle was adequate. And it is, but not comfortably.

My fiance has an '06 F-150 that will pull it with no problem. He has a class III DrawTite hitch with an adjustable height ballmount that I also used on my Explorer's class III u-Haul hitch. These hitches boast 7500 - 8000 lbs of weight distribution. We also have a friction sway control which has yet to be installed.

Because the QUE is so light, I was told that a WD like an Equalizer will not do as much for my problem as spring supports on the Explorer. The SUV sags with the trailer attached and I don't think the engine has enough torque to pull comfortably. But I am the one who wanted the QUE not only for camping (which is the best part) but for my work also.

I will probably end up buying a new Sport Trac '07 or newer as I like the everyday handling of that size vehicle over a full-size pickup.

I hope to meet up with some of you folks once we get our rig on the road.