Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Que
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-01-2009, 07:21 AM   #1

SUN #773
rduswalt
Overnight stays at campgrounds

Members: I had mentioned in an earlier post that I plan to make the maiden voyage of my Que from Lake George, NY to the OBX, NC, and since I plan to make this trip in two days with a stop over along the way, I wonder if anyone knows what the policy of KOA campgrounds (or others) are for one night stays? Some of the CGS I've been able to contact have at least a two or three day minimum. Many years ago I made the same trip and stayed in rest areas along the way, but unfortunatley, in these times, I do not feel secure doing that. An overnighter, even if only in a holding area of a CG, would be just fine, any suggestions? Thanks

Old 02-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Re: Overnight stays at campgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rduswalt

I wonder if anyone knows what the policy of KOA campgrounds (or others) are for one night stays? Some of the CGS I've been able to contact have at least a two or three day minimum.
Hi Rduswalt

Each area may be different but this is what I have found. On weekends, Friday and Saturday night, that fall on a holiday, those have some level of reservations restrictions to have 2 nights. And some CG’s even have a 2 night reservation minimum requirement dealing with the weekend regardless of the holiday. Reason is people will reserve to just hold that site, then cancel and the CG is stuck not being able to sell the site

On Sunday thru Thursday, 1 night reservations are generally no problem, again as long as you and not bumping into a holiday time frame.

And then there are walk in’s. Meaning you just show up, take your chances and ask if they have any spots open for the night. If they do, even on a holiday, they generally will sell it on the spot. Again the reservations is the problem and canceling.

Here is a cut and paste from our State Parks page

Please review all messages and information provided below. It is important that you read and understand this information prior to completing your reservation.
Campsites can be rented for a minimum of :
• 1 night during weekdays - Sunday through Thursday.
• 2 nights for weekends - Thursday/Friday, Friday/Saturday, or Saturday/Sunday.
• 3 nights holiday (Memorial and Labor Day) - Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Once you have read all the Campsites information, select your desired arrival date using the appropriate drop down lists. Click on the ACCEPT RESTRICTIONS, CHECK AVAILABILITY button to continue.

Check out State Parks along your route and even private CG’s. Most are “weekend” camps. Odds are in your favor Sunday thru Thursday you can drive in at will and get a site, no reservations. It is like a mass exodus come Sunday noon time here in Ohio. I know traveling far away and not having a reservation for the night seems like a risk, and it is, but most likely a small one unless you are in holiday time or the CG has some big really or event going on.

Here is a possibity as this is what we do. Scope out 2 or 3 in the area you want to stay over in and get phone numbers. Call ahead and make sure they have no big event during that time. Then when traveling , that day, call and see how full they are, then drive in the one that is has enough space open to not fill up in 2 hours from when you get there. The age of cell phones means your passanger is make a call while still on the road. Yes I know this some extra effort over a reservation, but if you can’t get them, odds are not that bad during off times to just walk in and get a stay for the night.

Interested in what others have found as this is what we have.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #3

SUN #517
luvrque
rduswalt,
I think you said you were going in May if so you should Not have a problem at all. I never had to stay more than 1 night in the off season in any campground. We go from NY to FL every year from 2001 and do NOT make reservations, never had a problem(off season). I am NOT talking about STATE PARKS though. We Just pick a campground from the book, call to make sure the are open but do not make a reservation.
In the Summer the rules change, many campgrounds want a 2 or more night minimum stay. Hoilday weekends example,(end of May) might be a problem.

2007 Que RE
2011 Tahoe LTZ.
https://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...orums/Qsig.jpg
luvrque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #4

SUN #128
Tweety
Delaware State Parks will take a one night stay in May and there are a couple not too far off the major routes. We're staying 2 nights at Trap Pond on our way down to VA Beach, although that's in July.

http://www.destateparks.com/activities/camping/maps.asp

Click no the reservations link to see the locations. Most KOA that I know of require that you take 2 nights on a weekend, but if you want a specific KOA just give them a call. I'm more comfortable having a reservation than just winging it.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you know what routes you'll be traveling, that might help get more information.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #6

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
KOA's and overnight

In 8 years of RVing we've only stayed at two KOA's and never have been asked to pay for a weekend. On our trip down the coast we usually take the CHesepeake Bay Bridge and stay at Asseteague National Park in Maryland (with the wild horses) and/or the Viginia State park just before the bridge. The only time I have seen this requirement is when there's a special event in the area.

In general we find KOAs a lot more expensive than private campgrounds. We are also members of Passport.com. We're staying in Austin TX for a couple of days, normally $40, $20 with Passport.

WE also have stayed in a number of Maryland State parks. They are very nice.

As to safety, in 8 years we have never been bothered and we frequently camp alone.

Safe Travels,

Norm Milliard

P.S. The Bay Bridge is definitely a minimum traffic route though they have recently raised the bridge tolls. To me it's worth it to avoid Baltimore and or Washington, plus we love camping with the horses in the Spring and Fall when the park is empty and the bugs are minimum.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #7

SUN #517
luvrque
I agree with Norm,
#1 The Bay Bridge & Tunnel is the way to go especially to NC Outer Banks. We always go that way even to FL.
#2 KOAs are always more expensive.
We usually stay the first night in Cherrystone campground in Cheriton, VA right on the Chesapeake Bay, its not bad $31. last year.

Norm,
How is the VA state park before the bridge ? We always wanted to stay there but never did, maybe this spring.

2007 Que RE
2011 Tahoe LTZ.
https://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...orums/Qsig.jpg
luvrque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #8

SUN #773
rduswalt
Overnight stays at campgrounds

Thanks to John, Joe & Donna, Kitty, and Norm for their information on the overnighters, it's great to hear the voices of experience. I will consider all options of CGs and Routes. One final question, I seem to remember when I took this trip in the mid-sixties, that there was a problem with transporting propane across the Bay-Bridge Tunnel, are there still any restrictions with the camper tanks? Thanks again.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #9

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
One final question, I seem to remember when I took this trip in the mid-sixties, that there was a problem with transporting propane across the Bay-Bridge Tunnel, are there still any restrictions with the camper tanks?
From the Bridge Tunnel Website:

COMPRESSED GAS REGULATIONS
For Non-Commercial Vehicles

Maximum capacity: (a) Not more than two non-permanently mounted containers having maximum individual capacity of 105 pounds water capacity or 45 pounds LP-Gas each, or one container having maximum capacity of 60 pounds LP-Gas, or (b) not more than two permanently mounted containers having maximum total capacity of 200 gallons water capacity LP-Gas when used as a motor fuel. Tanks must meet the approved standards of the Department of Transportation and are subject to inspection at toll plaza. They must be properly secured and valves closed while crossing the facility.

I'm curious as to how you comply with section (b), if your using LP as a motor fuel, how do cross the facility with the valves closed????

Can be transported with the Following restrictions (commercial):

2.1 FLAMMABLE GAS - not to exceed 120 gals in 6 gal containers or less except for LPG, which is restricted to two 60 pound cylinders LPG capacity (approx. 141 pounds w.c. each), or any combination of cylinders less than 60 pounds LPG capacity with a total of 120 gals

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #10

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Propane

I just stop before the toll booths and turn the valves off. They ask and you go forward.

Norm