Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Que
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #1

SUN #371
dennisb
High mounted stop lamp

I have noticed that when the 7 pin umbilical cable is connected from the tow vehicle to the Que, the high mounted stop lamp blinks about every 5-10 seconds. I have determined (I think) that the lamp blinks because the Prodigy brake controller I use is constantly testing the electric brakes to be sure they are still connected. This has been the same with two different trucks, one Ford and one Toyota. I also know that when we drive down the road the high mounted light is blinking at the same rate, night or day. A friend happened to follow us down the road the other day and noticed the blinking light, but also noted that he never saw the high mounted light come on steady when I braked the trailer.

I did an experiment with the brakes, and found that manually applying the trailer brakes with the controller lever did actuate the high mounted stop light. However, just pressing the brake pedal DID NOT actuate the high mounted light unless I used the "boost" function of the prodigy controller. I believe that when actually stopping, the light probably does come on if there is enough braking voltage applied to the trailer brakes, although I still have to experiment with this.

Has anyone noticed or experimented with this issue? I kind of like the blinking stop light at night, since it is easy to find the Que in the dark amongst all of the RV's in a park!

dennisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:01 PM   #2

SUN #145
coopersnest
I made a trip up to the factory just before they closed and since mine was # 13 off the line they updated everything for me. Even added some things
like phone lines and satellite for inside and out. (or by the door). The problem with the lights you are speaking about they said only happens with Prodigy Brake Controller. Prodigy claims it is not true so I recieved no help. I travel alone and do a lt of boondocking in the National Forests as I love to flyfish for trout. Have been teased about my red light burning at night. I did not know whether to laugh or cry. May have to put my little Que on the market as at 68 years old it is getting harder for me too handle everything alone. But she sure is sweet traveling down the road. Only brings my 4-runner down 4 miles and sometimes less on flat land to the gallon.
Barbara on the East coast

Old 06-11-2008, 07:38 AM   #3

SUN #196
tinybluetj
HOW INTERESTING!!!!

I always thought that the blinking light was a saftey feature!!!!!! You know to get the other driver's attention. I sort of liked it, now I am not so sure!!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #4

SUN #145
coopersnest
Kathryn......I feel the way you do. I am sure it helps with safety on the highway. When boondocking though I do not think it helps the battery power. Good to hear from you.
Barbara in NC.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #5

SUN #198
ELPilotto
We had the same problem. The dealer confirmed it. The fix, whether Tekonsha believes it or not, use the Primus controller instead of the Prodigy! Works just fine and only take about 30 seconds to set up!

Kathryn, Congrats on that little "What!" You have our email, details details..... I'll let the others know too.
ELPilotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:00 PM   #6

SUN #219
What6308
Send a message via AIM to What6308 Send a message via Yahoo to What6308
When the brakes were applied the third light lit up as a third stop lamp on ours.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #7

SUN #226
Eclipse
Pulse preventer

i'm not sure if this product would do the trick, but it may stop the pulsing brake light.

Pulse Preventor, part # FCPP
sold by Brophy products
www.crbrophy.com

hope it helps!

Carl Kern

Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote