Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Que
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-28-2010, 05:16 AM   #1

SUN #119
rookie
Full-Timing QUE?

Anyone out there traveled for long periods with a Que?

Old 12-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #2

SUN #128
Tweety
We went for 2 weeks once. I'd say one person could comfortably fullime but not two. Just be aware of the low CCC.

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:45 AM   #3

SUN #517
luvrque
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post
I am not sure what you mean by long periods ?
We would not want to spend 6 months or more in ANY TT.

Most of our trips are 4 to 5 weeks long and 4,000 to 4,500 miles each.(for the last 4 years)
We would NOT want a larger TT... ......We had that before.
The QUE is all we want and need ! (for 2 people of course & no pets)..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0082.jpg (50.8 KB, 12 views)

2007 Que RE
2011 Tahoe LTZ.
https://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...orums/Qsig.jpg
luvrque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #4

SUN #149
nasa42a
Lightbulb

Rookie......

When we had our Que (late 2006-2008, and a SE, by the way), we took a number of trips of 4 + weeks maximum duration. To us, the layout of the Que SE is not as conducive to long-trip comfort as would be the RE, in which the front dinette allows for upright posture for 2 persons at one time, and more comfortable meals and card games (etc.).

After 25,000 miles, we decided we had to find a bit more comfort, and moved on to another trailer.

Although Sharon and I don't mind the close quarters typified by the Que, in the end we do need comfortable seating for both of us...as well as the decent shower area which the Que had. And I think that for us....even in a RE model... 6-8 weeks could well be our Que "max".

Frank
nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #5

SUN #597
henryj
Small Trailers

I'm going to add my 2¢ because I think your question pertains more to any small trailer than the Que specifically. We towed a popup for years--60,000+ mi. The longest was 7 wk to AK, with several other 4 wk trips to TX, AZ, maritimes etc. A small trailer tows easily, parks and sets up easily and you can buy gas almost anywhere. It's perfect for long cross country trips with 1-3 day stays. A small trailer is best suited for camping; it is very poorly suited for living in. We carried far more stuff in our pickup--basically a full bed--than in the popup.

We still travel with our larger 2499, but are now also very comfortable sitting in one spot for two weeks or more. We have a bed that doesn't need to be transformed every morning, comfortable seating, cupboards, fridge, plumbing, heating etc. The bed in our truck carries only lawn chairs and sometimes bikes. A large awning greatly extends our outdoor living space. We don't need to "camp" unless we choose to.

So it all depends on what you want to do. I wouldn't hesitate to take a Que out for weeks and thousands of miles at a time--it beats a popup hands down. But I would plan very carefully if I intended to sit in one spot for a week or more--the outdoors will be your living space. Get a large dining shelter or at least a tarp, outdoor cooking and dish washing items, and the best lawn chairs you can buy.

Take the Que out on a new shake down cruise for your new lifestyle. The extra stuff you might need to buy will be a fraction of the cost of upgrading or even buying the extra gas a larger trailer will need on a longer trip.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:26 AM   #6

SUN #119
rookie
Thanks Everyone!

Thank you all for your responses.

A little background to my question. My fiance and I just returned from a three month trip to Australia, where we worked our way around selling his product at outdoor markets, such as farmers markets. We bought a 1985 long wheelbase Toyota van to "live" in. He built a platform for our double air mattress and we had a 8' x 8' canopy he used for markets as our outdoor shelter. We used the storage space under the bed. Drawers were made from milk crates. Our kitchen was a two-burner Coleman. As you can imagine, if we survived THAT, the QUE will be like the Taj. The people we met at campgrounds there were amazing. Many are "Grey Nomads" - retired folk touring their vast country full-time.

My fiance and I wish to work markets around the US but in the comfort of the Que. Its already outfitted with a separate outdoor grill and a Honda generator. Somewhere in the instruction materials or a tag on the wall states that long term living in the Que is not advised. I was more concerned about the effects of the air conditioning and heating having a negative effect on the QUE's interior. I cannot imagine what else could be a problem, save normal maintenance?

We plan to return to our home base in Florida every couple of months, so it will not be true full time.

BTW Tweety, what does "CCC" stand for? My TT lingo is not up to speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0393.jpg (51.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-29-2010, 06:16 AM   #7

SUN #128
Tweety
ccc is cargo carrying capacity...very low on the que due to one axel.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #8

SUN #119
rookie
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
ccc is cargo carrying capacity...very low on the que due to one axel.
Doh! CCC of our TT. Got it!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #9

SUN #517
luvrque
Quote:
Thank you all for your responses.

A little background to my question. My fiance and I just returned from a three month trip to Australia, where we worked our way around selling his product at outdoor markets, such as farmers markets. We bought a 1985 long wheelbase Toyota van to "live" in. He built a platform for our double air mattress and we had a 8' x 8' canopy he used for markets as our outdoor shelter. We used the storage space under the bed. Drawers were made from milk crates. Our kitchen was a two-burner Coleman. As you can imagine, if we survived THAT, the QUE will be like the Taj. The people we met at campgrounds there were amazing. Many are "Grey Nomads" - retired folk touring their vast country full-time.

My fiance and I wish to work markets around the US but in the comfort of the Que. Its already outfitted with a separate outdoor grill and a Honda generator. Somewhere in the instruction materials or a tag on the wall states that long term living in the Que is not advised. I was more concerned about the effects of the air conditioning and heating having a negative effect on the QUE's interior. I cannot imagine what else could be a problem, save normal maintenance?

We plan to return to our home base in Florida every couple of months, so it will not be true full time.

BTW Tweety, what does "CCC" stand for? My TT lingo is not up to speed.
As for the effects of the AC & heat...They will NOT be ANY different than any other TT.. So that is NOT a problem...

You have the RE which like was said before is a better layout than the SE.....IMO also
Also you had the QUE RE for years so you know all the good things about it, like it has more counterspace than most larger TT do.
As far as CCC I have a Tahoe to carry anything the QUE RE can not..
You also (with just 2 people) should have extra room in your TV.
You could also add a roof top carrier on the TV if need be.
I think if you just keep the trips under 3 months each you should be fine...IMO
Like I said before to me 6 months in ANY TT is too long...

2007 Que RE
2011 Tahoe LTZ.
https://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...orums/Qsig.jpg
luvrque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:43 AM   #10

SUN #119
rookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvrque View Post
Also you had the QUE RE for years so you know all the good things about it, like it has more counterspace than most larger TT do.
Sadly, my QUE has been stored most of that time. I did tow it about 1000 miles solo to a friend's RV resort, but rarely after that. So, like my handle, I am still a rookie.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #11

SUN #149
nasa42a
Lightbulb

Rookie....

Being just that only means your best RVing days are yet to come!

Although your Que has been in storage, it has been due for maintenance by this point. I suggest you go to the SOC "FAQ" forum, and inside that to the "How to...(etc.). I especially encourage you to:

==> (a) go to the "How to #12..." (roof maintenance & caulking), as this is a critical area that may result in much damage if unattended.

==> (b) consider replacing the tires.... even though they've scarcely been used. The original equipment tires (usually Mission) had a history of casing failure without warning....and they're already 5 years old, which is the age at which even virtually unused trailer tires should be replaced due to (often hidden) dry rot or cracking.

==> (c) Have the wheel bearings repacked. The axle provider does the original pack for the RV builder...and often skimps. After all, that's something best done every year and the Que is......years old. From experience, I can tell you that you don't want to lose a wheel bearing on the road....

Best....

Frank
nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:34 AM   #12

SUN #119
rookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa42a View Post
Rookie....

Being just that only means your best RVing days are yet to come!

Best....

Frank
Thank you, Frank! Happy New Year.
We really value your advice and will follow. We look forward to taking the QUE out where it belongs: on the road!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:13 AM   #13

SUN #540
cvik
Smile Living in the Que for extended periods

Quote:
Hi Rookie,

We have a QueRE also here in FL. In 2009 we took an extended vacation for almost 3 months & had no problems living in our Que. Guess the wife & I are compatable. Really the only time you stay inside is to sleep & maybe eat if it's raining or I want to watch some TV. We make the bed into a double & leave it that way. Still have a bench available to set on. I did buy a Que BarBQ & installed a gas valve outside on the gas line provided. We also have a 2 burner Coleman stove that we use outside when we want to fry bacon or sauage. Don't fry anything inside so as not to have grease spattering around. As for the shower, we use that area mainly for storage. We camp mostly in the State Parks around the country. Only stay in the higher priced RV parks when traveling to spend the night.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #14

SUN #119
rookie
Thank you, cvik. Sounds like a nice setup. We have a separate gas grill for outdoor cooking as well. It is self contained, but never thought to plumb it directly to the Que. Glad to hear it is comfortable for that long a time on the road.