Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #1

SUN #108
40_Acre_Mule
Water Pump Reservoir Tank Questions

I've tried searching this forum, but no luck.

I was thinking of adding a pressurized reservoir tank to the water pump.
I was thinking this would reduce the amount of cycling on the water pump.
It might also reduce the noise, yes?

Am I calling it the right thing?

Would this create a smoother water flow?

Would this be unnecessary with a variable speed pump?

How are the prices at marine supply stores compared to RV supply?
Here on the coast, we have plenty of boat stores.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #2

SUN #680
dkasten39828 is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe they are called accumulator tanks.

If you have a well at home, it's a smaller version of that pressure tank.
The one my friend has on his camper is about 1 gallon in size.

It's supposed to reduce the water "hammer" and frequent cycling of the water pump when in use. Makes it more like water delivery in your home.

He also changed the mount for his ShurFlo water pump. It was screwed directly to the wood framing under his couch. He added a rubber mouse pad (!) under it and he says that change plus the accumulator tank makes water delivery from his on-board tanks almost silent.

I have not yet used the water pump in our coach, so I don't know if I'll need to do something similar.

5.3 liter V8, 3.73LS, Prodigy, Hensley Arrow
2004 Sunline Solaris SE T-2499 #5527
dkasten39828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #3

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
I installed a two gallon tank (1 gallon of water) in our motorhome. I bought it at HomeDepot, less expensive then Marine or RV supply houses I would imagine. It was easy to install. I simply broke into the cold water line under the sink, easy because I could jump in at the faucet connection and there was dead space under the sink area.

The best aspect is that when someone gets up at night no pump usually comes on.

As to pump noise, without changing your pump, there are two things you can do to quiet it. Mount it on rubber and use flexible connections from the pump to the pipes, like the braided kind sometimes used to connect to sinks.
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #4

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Ditto what Norm said. Home Depot, Lowes or similar. The tank you want is actually a hot water system pressure tank. (Don't ask a sales associate for the RV stuff as they'll vapor lock.... )

All standard plumbing parts are available there, too. No need to pay higher prices at the RV store.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #5

SUN #989
Ted-Thompson
I on the otherhand would NOT want pressure in the system unless I was using it. Don't trust the plumbing that much... Even when I'm right next to a "shore" hookup for water, I fill the tank and use the pump. I also open a faucet and "let off" the pressure when I'm done and have switched the pump off...

1985 T-1750 #2342
Ted-Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #6

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ted,

I've met a number of Rvers who've felt that way. Usually not fearing water pump pressure which is relatively low, but rather street pressure which can be variable particularly in some campgrounds.

We protect against high street pressure with a water pressure regulator permanently mounted in series with a water filter. In our many years we have never had a problem.

Now we typically don't leave the pump on when we're away from the RV and if the night is going to be really cold (we camp a lot in the winter) we disconnect our city water. We feel there are two reasons to do this. First we don't want our hose to freeze. Second, if the pipes are not under pressure and it's cold there's that little extra expansion space in case of a freeze up.

Our two water systems have a total of 39 years and knock on wood, no failures. We have had two fereeze ups on the motorhome where the pipes run thru underneath compartments without damage, with one freeze up a two day event.

As well if we plan to be gone for the day we turn off the streeet water, particularly after seeing a neighbor's fifth wheel dipping water out the corner of the trailer.

His wife had left the water on in the bathroom sink and filled the grey tank (valve obviously closed). It eventually overflowed via trhe shower, poured out on to the floor and was running out the corner. I noticed his fifth wheel 'leaking' and I shut off his water.

When he returned he was even upset. He whipped out his baby dry vac and went to work. I was shocked and asked him about the dry vac. "I bought it the last time this happened".

RVers are really nice people. YIKES!
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #7

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm this way a little bit. I find for just washing my hands, I turn the pump on, let it pressurize, then turn it off. I then go to wash my hands and don't turn the faucet on much. I'm usually able to completely wash my hands and not run out of water. I find I use less that way.

The lines do sit de-pressurized after that, but that's not really my concern. When hooked up to city water, they're pressurized all the time anyway, and I don't worry too much.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #8

SUN #597
henryj
Shurflo Accumulator

Shurflo lists several goodies on this page you might consider as part of an upgrade. Search for Shurflo on Camping World to also see these items. Shurflo also makes a small accumulator for those who can't find space for a bigger unit. I have the small one, but haven't gotten around to install it yet--got too cold last fall and now it's a late summer project. My brother also has this one so I do know how it works. First of all, it won't really quieten a noisy pump--it just reduces the on/off cycling and therefore appears quieter. In my 2499 the pump sits on a piece of carpet--not much of a cushion--and has only a short woven hose on the inlet. A short hose is still rigid enough to transfer some vibes to the hard PEX--and the outlet is all PEX--and if that touches anything solid, it will really hammer. Obviously this is a problem as Shurflo sells a "Silencing Kit".

The variable speed is really the way to go if the amount of dry camping you do justifies the price. JohnB replaced his a while back http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...light=variable.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #9

SUN #108
40_Acre_Mule
Okay, I'm thinking the variable speed...

So...

Shurflo, Flojet, or Aquatec
Old 06-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #10

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
I went FloJet twice. (2 campers)

The pump has worked well from day 1. It purrs on low water usage and well it does pudrrr more when it running wide open like filling the camper from the fresh tank.

The VSR pump to me is sort of like the power tongue jack. Once you have one going back to the wake the dead banger is hard to do.

The early days of Shurflo VSR's had some issues but I think they got over them and are now OK.

The Aquatec don't know but will find out in late July as one of my camping buddies added one in his Jayco and we will be camping with them.

The accumulator and what Ted stated about prolonged pressure, h'mm never thought of that. If one get's a 1 gallon or 2 gallon tank that is something to think about. The larger tank makes it work better but has more stored energy too.

Good luck and let us know which way you go and how it works.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #11

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
ditto above. The tank works great and here's one more thing. I mostly dry camp, run on batteries. Any electric motor draws peak amperage at the time it starts up. Without the tank the pump cycles on and off as long as the water is flowing. With the tank the pump comes on and stays on until the tank is full then stays off until the tank is empty. Much less starts, much less battery draw.

2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote