Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #1

SUN #256
Bobo
Voyager Radio Aux.

Being a typical lazy American, I never fully read the whole white binder that everyone gets with their Sunline. My stereo had quit working so I pulled the unit out from it's mounting (an easy 4 screws). I found a pair of RCA input jacks on the back of the unit, labeled Aux. Since my TV is right above the stereo, I plan on running audio output from the TV to these inputs, thereby routing the TV sound into the overhead speakers. When payday arrives, I'll make a run to Wally's World to buy a cord.

Just a little mod that is cheap to do.

Bobo

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #2

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
You may want to take a closer look in the manual to check if they're actually auxillary RCA inputs or they're outputs .

While I'm not familiar with your particular stereo, I'd imagine it's an RCA stereo output used on a lot of car stereos to run a non impedence 'line out' to an amp that would power other speakers or a bass unit.

I replaced my trailer's stereo(AM/FM/cassette ) as soon as I bought it with a $100 JVC unit from wally world so I could play mp3 cds and have an 'in' jack for other components like a DVD player, TV, ipod, zune, or computer audio. I'd hoped the same for mine when I ran RCAs for the TV sound to the stereo unit but only found one set of RCA jacks in the back, an output.

With my new unit, the only input is an 1/8" stereo jack on the front of the unit.

They do make higher end stereo receiver's with rear RCA inputs, I just sorta doubt they'd have installed them as an OEM radio.

You can replace your stereo with a DVD car stereo player that I know has rear RCA ins. You can check out a few reasonable players at Walmart (they start around $199) I hope I'm wrong and your unit has the 'ins' and a $3 RCA stereo m-m cord does the trick for you!(... if your TV has RCA audio 'outs' hehe )

Take care,
Jason

Old 07-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lode
You may want to take a closer look in the manual to check if they're actually auxillary RCA inputs or they're outputs .
My '99 has two sets of auxillary inputs via RCA jacks on the back of the unit; one for AUX and one for an add-on CD player. There is also a pair of RCA jacks for an output line as well.

If memory serves, many of the AM/FM/Cassette or CD units made for the RV market do have extra inputs on them.

We use the AUX input for either the TV or our XM satellite radio system. Works great and we get the sound at both ends of the trailer.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:59 PM   #4

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins
My '99 has two sets of auxillary inputs via RCA jacks on the back of the unit; one for AUX and one for an add-on CD player. There is also a pair of RCA jacks for an output line as well.

If memory serves, many of the AM/FM/Cassette or CD units made for the RV market do have extra inputs on them.
Steve, thanks for the heads up, I guess I had my head in the sand about that line of specialty for stereo units. I've dealt with mostly car/truck/boat upgrades of audio and video, the RV specific components are a new branch for me. To be honest I never even looked at the OEM cassette deck(1992) for rear inputs before replacing it, I think because the only tape I still own is the 'Men At Work'-Business As Usual cassette.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 07-10-2008, 06:01 AM   #5

SUN #187
precorguy
i think that we have the same stereo - if so, they are input jacks for the AUX ---- i cut a small hold in the counter top above the stereo (as my unit is a small corner unit entertainment centre) added a cable gromet and ran a 1.4" jack to RCA up through it ---- also put the DVD play underneath so that it was not in the way all the time.

have a couple of sets of wire running through the gromet --- the AUX that i use of the ipod, plus the power and cable for the DVD play to hook to the TV and wall socket.

it was an easy mod and one that we use all the time.

i have been thinking of adding another shelf under the cabinet pull up raise the DVD player so that i can put a couple of small baskets on the shelf to use for shoes etc.

hope tha helps!

happy camping!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #6

SUN #549
frank
Our '02 has an aux input, both on the front panel and the rear. We use the rear for a Sirius Satellite Tuner.

- Frank
Old 07-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #7

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
A note on Sirius Tuners: I put a cradle in the camper so that I take the tuner module out of the truck and put it in the camper then tune the FM to the transmitted frequency. I have an older Sirius tuner which transmits for about 40' therefore eliminating the need to plug it in to the aux. Another advantage is that I can tune any portable FM radio to the freq anywhere on the campsite and listen to Sirius radio with the option of turning the units radio on or not. A couple of years ago, the FCC made Sirius cut down on the transmitting range of these tuners so the newer ones are limited to about 6 or 8'

2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote