Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-26-2007, 08:29 AM   #1

SUN #115
emam
Upgrading Shocks on Tow Vehicle

Has anyone upgraded their shocks on the tow vehicle?

We currently have the stock shocks on our F-250 and have noticed the rear end is starting to sag (Please hold all personal comments about my rear end, I'm talking about the truck )

I've read a few good comments on the Gabriel Heavy Duty on the RV Net forums, but I'd love to hear from someone towing a 2499 or similar model as most were using them on Dually's and towing 5er's.

I think were going to have a set of air bags installed to level the rear end a bit like Sunline Fan and a few others have talked about. But I thought with almost 25,000 miles and the last 5,000 fully loaded, the stock shocks might be ready for the garbage can?

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:15 AM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Emam,

As you already said, go with the air bags. Let me know if/when you do, because I know of a company in Florida which had a great price on them, but didn't send the all of the product until we called many, many times. I can't remember the name off the top of my head; I'll have to look up the receipt. They actually sent the front kit and controller/pump, but not the rear kit. They just didn't understand the box they were sent it wouldn't fit everything in the first place.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:29 PM   #3

SUN #115
emam
Hey Jon, does the company do installs too?

I just think I'd like to have them installed before we go too much farther because I hate the way the truck looks with the rear end sagging.

We were in a Camping World last week and they had multiple brands and all of them in stock, that was the only reason I said we'd get it done there, but if you know of a company that can install them and has them in stock, I'd go tomorrow.

Thanks for all the info

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:10 PM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Pat,

I wouldn't recommend that company at all. They had terrible customer service and probably would do a terrible install job if they offer that. I just looked it up and its called 4wheelonline. Here is the site: http://www.4wheelonline.com/Categori...tegoryId=28902. They say they have new customer service hours now, but I don't know if they got a whole new customer service department. The system we have is called Air Lift. They are from right up here in Lansing. The customer service department at Air Lift is excellent. I would recommend you just go to Camping World, they have quite a selection and probably could give you a better price (assuming you're a club member) than someone else.

FYI, we have the Air Lift Super Duty air springs (2000-2005 Excursion 4WD), front and rear, with the SureSet controller and compressor. Here's the company website: http://www.airliftcompany.com. We initially thought the controller wasn't necessary, but every time we went to tow, I always needed an air compressor around to fill them. Also, I heard from many sources that the front bags were also unnecessary. Maybe so, but I sure think they help a lot. I'd say its a must with a diesel, since its so heavy in the front. When towing the Toy Hauler, I have about 70 PSI in the rear and 10-15 in the front. When solo, I have about 25 both front and rear (with the V10 though).

I do have a couple tips for the install. First, my dad made a bracket out of diamond plate that uses the same holes we already had for the brake controller to mount the air bag control. The brake controller is on the top, since its smaller than the other control. Second, there are two (or 4 with the front kit) air valves, actually tire valves, attached to an air line which goes to the individual bags. The instructions said to drill a hole in the bumper to mount these. I didn't want to drill any holes in the bumper, so I used the existing holes on the bottom of the rear bumper on each end. These holes are too big to mount it to, but a couple big washers and rubber came in handy here. For the front, I used the holes from the front license plate bracket. Whereever you have the kit installed, you may want to watch as close as you can to make sure no unnecessary holes are drilled.

Good luck in your decision,
Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote