Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #1

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Under Couch Storage - T310SR

Fellow campers.

Had this mod done this summer and never made it to posting yet. Since we seem to be in the mod'ing or thinking time of year, see this one solution to the jumbled up mess that can happen under e couch.

Hopefully this might help some camper folks who have jackknife couches with storage under them that is in need of organization. I have an outside cargo hole that accesses a storage spot under the couch. This spot use to be a pain as to get anything out, it was all jumbled up and I had to dig and dig and dig to get stuff out.

So here is my solution

Here is the couch before I did anything.

Then off comes the bottom seat. You can see all the stuff on top of itself and this is the neat setting....not too bad until you want that one thing in the back

Then off with the entire couch

Then the couch storage area bare. Had to come up with something to help organize the “stuff”

Started with 1/4 in. pine venier board. I have about 6, 4 x 8 sheets of this left over from long ago when I was going to build kitchen cabinets and never did. Been around now some 25 years waiting to be used.

Then saw it up and screw and glue it together like this.

A top shot. It is “suppose” to fit in under the couch area.

Now to install the shelf. While I did a dry run test fit on the cut sheets that fit well, I never test fit the entire thing as one unit and now it had poly coat on it and all glued and screwed together. Oh boy , it won’t exactly rotate in on an angle to fit in there... . Well after some ponder and persuading, it went. What goes in may not exactly come out..

Now the couch parts again

Now I also needed a Dirt Devil garage. See here for my solution. The access hole. The couch flap covers this up.

Then the draw that goes in the garage. I have not wood finished the draw yet in this pic

Then the little Devils in storage.

Now the guides. I started out thinking roller guides but then the draw would have to be shallower and be up off the carpet eating up vertical space. So I put slider blocks on and it slides on the carpet. And cost a lot less then the roller guides. Works great.

And here is what it looks like again from the front with the shelf and garage behind the flap. Out of site totally.

Now the best part. Organized storage and no jumbling to get things out and I have even more room for more stuff... YEH

It is amazing how easy it is now to get hoses and buckets of fresh water fittings and tarps out without having to jumble everything all up to get just that 1 thing.

Hope this helps spark some ideas for others.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:15 AM   #2

SUN #19
Sunline1
John

Nice mod.

Although not as elaborate as your mod.

I had a piece of plywood hanging around, just the right size to fit in my under bed storage compartment (door), that is acessed for outside the camper. I put 2X4's legs on it, using the longer dimension (4) for the height. I slide my WT. Dist. Bars, sway control ext. cords under the shelf.

As you said, it sure makes it alot easier than pulling 6 items out in order to get to the 1 item you want.

2002 Sunline model T-2975 (large Bath)
Sunline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:50 AM   #3

SUN #128
Tweety
Really nice John. We have the same Dirt Devil and it wanders around the camper looking for a storage spot! Our sofa has the hot water heater under the end near the kitchen, but the front 2/3 is storage...messy storage. I'll have to show this to Steve the next time he needs a project. I don't see a dinette next to the sofa...did you remove it?
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Thanks folks for the kind words.

Tweety

Did I remove the dinette? nope never had one. See here. This “was” one of the “must haves” in this camper layout we wanted. It was part of the YES this is the one.

The roaming Dirt Devel….. and the HW heater under the couch. H’mm see here where the wandering Dirt Devil landed in the T2499. Will this work on Tweety?

If it will, show this to Steve, this is how I did it. Dirt Devil Garage on T2499 under couch

Happy Mod’ing

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:43 AM   #5

SUN #128
Tweety
That does look like an ideal spot for the Dirt Devil. Our Dust Buster hangs on the wall in the bedroom. (except when we're driving we lay it on the floor)
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote