Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #1

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Tornado users-Happy?

I installed a Tornado tank rinse at the end of the black tank furthest from the drain and am disapointed with the results. Thinking that maybe I am doing something wrong, can anyone who has done this installation tell me if it has helped to flush out their black tank? With mine running, the water runs out the drain like a lazy river-not the rush of water I had hoped for.
Anyone have any input on this?
Thanks,
Rich

vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:27 AM   #2

SUN #62
rich2500
Rich your not alone,for years I used a flushking but it's a little time consuming so I installed the tornando,first time I used it I left it run for about ten min. thought okay that should be plenty good(running clear water),next trip out I notice my tank gauges are not reading correctly,so I ran the tornado again,gauges still reading incorrectly,so I hook up the flushking and backfill a few times and my gauges read correctly again,needless to say I have switched back to the flushking and have not used the tornado since.

01 F-250 V-10 4x4 Lariat supercab SB auto 4:30 LS
draw-tite 1200# trunnion wd,friction sway control,prodigy
happy camping Rich,Maryellen,Josh and Jake
https://www.campingpa.com/
rich2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Rich,

I have the factory installed tank rinser, and find the same thing. Now, I don't know what brand tank rinser I have. I did have a thought about the water flow though, the power of the flow is probably only gonna be as powerful as the flow of water going into it, or even restricted a little? So, I guess it's possible that my in-going water supply is not strong enuff to get that "WOOSH" of water I was hoping for.
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:25 AM   #4

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
We also have the factory installed black tank rinser and what I have found is if I close the dump valve (I know, the directions say it has to be open) for about 2-3 minutes then reopen the valve, it seems to flush out more "stuff".

Repeat once or twice and it seems to be keeping the tank clean, no issues with gauges, odors, or blockages.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:33 AM   #5

SUN #37
OK, thanks for the replies, it seems I have a normal situation. The water pressure at the dump station this weekend was about what I'd expect from any campground, so I don't think that was an issue. Maybe in the spring I'll try the Flush King.
Thanks,
Rich
Old 10-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #6

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Try closing the tank valve while the flusher is running before you buy the Flush King, it accomplishes the same thing...running water into the tank to partially fill it, then opening the valve to let the volume carry out the stuff. The only difference is where your putting the water in.

Seems like partially filling the tank allows the stuff to float, instead of stick, and the extra volume of water carries it out easier.

Here's what I do: I open the drain valve, dump the initial contents, turn on flusher and let run for a minute or two (usually until it runs clear), then close the dump valve for about two to three minutes, then open the dump valve, I repeat until the water from a partial tank fill runs clear. Usually the second fill runs clear.

CAUTION: Stay with the valves while the dump valve is closed, if you get busy with something else, you can overfill the tank and back up into the toilet.

BTW: Nothing but good thoughts about the Flush King, if you don't have an installed flusher, it's an inexpensive, but very effective and easy to use alternative.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:31 AM   #7

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I also am a firm believer in letting it fill up the tank. I've done it on the motorhome a few times (my coach doesn't have the flusher) and I've let it fill up to 3/4. I shut the water off and drain it, and after that, the water coming out from then on it pretty clear. If doing it by yourself, and you know it's getting close, shut the water off and then go in to check it.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #8

SUN #37
Thanks for the tips Mack and Jon.
Rich
Old 11-03-2008, 05:30 AM   #9

SUN #187
precorguy
fyi - i am with mack and jon -- i also turn the rinser on, let it run for a bit, then close the value and let the tank partly fill up - then open the value - i have a clear elbow so it is amazing at how much "stuff" comes out after the valve is closed and opened while the rinser is running.

did i mention that i have the factor install rinser - no i didn't - well i do.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #10

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
I have had the Sunline Factory sprayer sold to me as a kit. It looks like this. I installed this in my T2499 opposite the tank outlet. That tank was a long tank and the outlet at the end of it down hill on a lower sump.

It is a different brand then the Camco Quickie flush but essentially the same thing. A closed pipe with holes drilled in it on angles.

On the new T310SR I installed 2, Tornando’s in the black tank. This black tank due to the extended season enclosed compartment tanks is more flat and square. The dump pipe is in the middle and the tank not so deep. This now delivers 2 times the water as the T2499 with the Sunline version.

I also use the RV hydroflush. It’s the flush king without the slider valve. The hydro flush had a clear fitting so I can see what it is I am doing.

The end results of both are about the same. This is what I have to do to get “it” all out and the paper is the worst. But I get it out.

Slowly open drain valve until the hose is flowing.
Then open drain valve all the way.
Turn on flusher, dump some more.
Turn off flusher, wait until it drains. Stuff then comes.
Turn flusher back on, Let it flush until clear, then Turn off flusher, wait until it drains. Stuff then comes.
Do this a few times and then close the dump valve and let it fill for about 1 to 2 minutes.
Dump as there is now about 10 to 15 gallons of water in there. More stuff comes.
Then do the sprayers on and off until it finally it runs clear and clean. May do 1 more partial fill and dump. It all depends how many days we have gone for.

I also used some washing soda (Arm and Hammer brand) to soften the water in the black tank. It does help as I can tell stuff slides out easier verses when I do not use it.

The holes in any of these sprayers are not that big and do not deliver much more then about 3 maybe 5 GPM if that.

Before the sprayers in the tank, I used the rotary hand wand, And it has some serious flying around water, but it too does not put out a ton of water. That is until it fly’s apart in the bathroom like my shut off valve did…..then you cannot shut it off fast enough….

I’m still more happy with the tank sprayers and even having 2 of them in 1 tank, still takes time but it is more convenient then pulling the hose up in the bathroom window.

It seems that if I do not stop the flushing and let it drain then restart the flush that the water just flows over the stuff and it stays in. By letting it drain, it moves to the outlet faster.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote