Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #1

SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
tankless water heater?

the 4gal atwood water heater in my 1350, 1983 just bit the dust, and i'm in the market for a replacement.

i'm considering a 6gal atwood, or a tankless water heater. thoughts or suggestions? i know a tankless will fill up my grey tank quickly, but if i were to install an outside shower that would eliminate a lot of the problem there...

someone in another thread mentioned that they thought all new campers/rvs will soon come with tankless WH which makes me think that that's the way to go. other thoughts on this?

thanks as always for your time and thoughts!

Old 04-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
They work, need to be vented (portable type can't be used inside) built in one's are way expensive. In a small camper the tank type does give you 4-6 more gals. of water storage. If your parked hooked up to water and a drain then a tankless will give you endless hot water.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
As far as new camper maybe but I don't think it will be some thing you would see unless it was pretty big. Lots of dirty kids etc. in a big camper parked at a camp ground it maybe the way to go then there would be no loss of hot water after a shower or two. The price of a built in tankless seems to be about 75% more right now then a 6 gallon one.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #4

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
A couple of thoughts. Not sure why a tankless would fill the grey tank any quicker. You have an existing hole in the side of the camper that is the size of a 6 gallon Atwood. (the recent 4 gallon and 6 gallon are the same size, I presume the '83 was the same but I have been known to be wrong ) A new Atwood 6 gallon would fit that hole exactly I think. How would you mount / install a tankless? Are you able to custom fabricate something to fit the existing hole? Is there a real advantage to a tankless heater? Price difference?

My inclination would be to put in a 6 gallon Atwood. .... but that is just me, if we were all the same we would all own the same model camper.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote