Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-25-2007, 07:23 PM   #1

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
T310SR Gutter Down Spouts

Fellow Campers

The Black Streaks are really playing havoc on our new camper. And they really buggggg me . The weather cooperated this weekend, was off from work, so I took advantage of it. It was 50F here and no wind on Saturday. Unbelievable… .

Part of the black streak fix is to direct the water away from the side of the camper. I was already doing the clothes pins trick, but it was not cutting it. I also have the shore power cord door right under one of these gutter ends, not great.

So the down spouts fix on the T310SR was born. I had previously did thess on our T2499 and now doing them a 2nd time, they even come out better then the first. And all 4 can stay on full time. Those wanting to see these on a T2499, try here T2499 Gutter down spouts

Here is the front.

And here is the back. (See note below)

NOTE: One word of caution if you do something similar, the clearance lights have regulations about what angle they must be seen at and from which directions. The 2 pic’s above do not meet the FMVSS 108 lighting standards because the down spout blocks it from the back side. There is a full rear 45 degree viewing requirement from the back towards the front and the spout was blocking about 20 degrees of the view. So I had to reposition the clearance marker to allow the down spout to stay. On the T2499, I had removable rear spouts so this was never an issue.

Here is the latest with the clearance marker fix.

The next time I wash the camper that dirty back block one will get a wash job.

While this does take a little time to do, these 4 areas of the camper are free of the heavy black stuff off the roof. Plus when it is raining it does not blow in the rear camper door so much trying to get in and out. This was an issue before with the door so close to the drip edge spout up high. And I have now shieled the shore power cord door from the heavy water running down the side of the camper. I can tell the prior owner had a little issue here.

Hope this sparks some ideas for others.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi John,

Nice little christmas present you gave to the 310. I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

1. How are the gutters attached?

2. Did you use standard house type guttering?

3. Did you ever consider using white pvc tubing so the guttering could be smaller?

Sorry, just a few girlie questions

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:31 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty
Hi John,

Nice little christmas present you gave to the 310. I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.
Questions, ask your heart out. Never a problem for a fellow Sunliner, or camper friend.

1. How are the gutters attached?

A few different ways. This is going to me a mix of T2499 and T310 pic's so bear with me on which camper is which.

Up top, I needed 1 real good screw that goes into the frame. See it here. The head is buried under caulking as is the hole before the screw went in.

Then on the long down spouts I used brackets. The bracket attached to the TT and the spout to the bracket. You will also notice a lot of caulk there on the penetration to the camper. A must.

You can see I have 3 brackets per spout plus the top fitting anchored to the camper. You need 1 real good one to up top and 1 good one into the frame along the tube, ideally at the bottom. The other 2 are only into the siding. Just like the cargo door door latches. The get puttied, then screwed into the siding.

2. Did you use standard house type guttering?
Yes, right out of Home Depot.

3. Did you ever consider using white pvc tubing so the guttering could be smaller?

Sorry, just a few girlie questions

Kitty

Yes, there are other options. I showed these to a buddy in VA who added them to his Regal. He used PVC conduit. He is a master electrician so it was natural for him to go that route…. The only caution on smaller is not go too small. The fitting up top needs to be big and deep to catch the water splash. They sell conduit fittings that are large and rectangular with a hole in the bottom. On the down spout pipe, try to stick with ¾” at least. 1/2" "might" be too small. One leaf or a dead bug in it and it will clog.

Round will work in place of my rectangular. Just again watch the top fitting and make sure the pipe is large enough to not get clogged up to easy. The reason I went house gutter spout was the size of the upper fittings to get it in there like this and at the time rectangular seemed easier to mount. And the type of gutter plastic seems to hold up to the sun on a house. I have had PVC pipe exposed to the Sun ended up real brittle in other applications. that But round will work too, just 303 UV protectent it. Actually I never thought of round until my buddy just went and did it....

On the T310, that little plastic spout that Sunline added was not even screwed in except one of them. I wiggled it and it came right off. As I took it off, I slid the spout fitting right up in its place. If you yank off that drip edge fitting, It come off hard, but it come off, then the opening in the top area does not have to be so big. Oh and also make sure the new fitting is up high enough over the top of the TT drip edge other wise the water will splash out there too.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote