Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-07-2015, 11:20 AM   #1

SUN #7530
ivriemen is an unknown quantity at this point
Sunline T-1661 Bench Seat Replacement

Hello Everyone!

I am a now a proud owner of a 1984 Sunline T-1661 that is in great original condition but I am looking to do a few modifications to better fit our needs. We will be living in it for the next year and need to change around some thing to add storage and improve efficiency. The first thing we are looking to do is rebuild the bench seat to a slightly higher position.

In order to start I have a few questions for some of the more experienced remodelers out there;
First very newbie question-- wondering how to reattach things to the wall after they are pulled apart. Once we take out the original bench framing and rebuild it to our own specifications what is the best way to secure it to the frame? I do not want to get into taking down the walls so how do I find the wood framing behind? Or is it best to secure it to the metal framing and if so how do I figure out where that is?

Has anyone here rebuilt there bench seat? I would love to see some pictures if you have them, everyone on this forum is so creative!

Thank you for welcoming a fellow Sunline- owner to the group!

Old 07-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #2

SUN #246
Janalee
Are you talking about the dinette seat or lounge area?
First you have to be aware that all the cabinets and seats that are attached to the wall,are actually screwed into place from the outside before the siding goes on...so getting them de-tached is a problem.If its the sofa,then can't you just take the cushions off and reconfigure it from there? If its the dinette,I would just add a layer of foam under/over the seats.!The unit has wood studs -not hard to find-just find the staples in the paneling. As for metal framing in the wall, there is none that I am aware of.How about a twin mattress on the sofa in place of the existing cushions and decorate with lots of colorful pillows for a daybed effect..I certainly wouldnt get rid of that overhead bunk..always need storage! Maybe this helped some?!Janalee

'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:46 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a T1700 and had no use what so ever for the over head bunk so I removed the center section flipped up the front part and fixed it in place that gave me a great deal of storage space and made the gatcho couch a lot more user friendly.