Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-09-2010, 05:57 AM   #21

SUN #1030
paulr
Thanks johnB, I hope the tile works out, today I am going to attempt repainting my gas stove top to match the rest of the kitchen with epoxy paint, it will either look good or I will have a lot of sanding to do.

Honda03842, To be honest the weight feels about the same but the steel rims are a lot thinner and might even weigh a little less but I didnt weigh them, here is the ebay seller I bought them from.
http://stores.ebay.com/sturdybuilttrailerparts
The center caps were damaged in shipping and they sent out new ones the same day I called them, so in my book thats a good seller.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #22

SUN #10
wagonman76
Looks great so far! Great deal on the tires and rims too. I just paid more than that for 2 new tires alone, and that was the best deal I could find around here. On my Haulmark trailer, I had my trailer tires mounted on some really heavy Pontiac alloy wheels which match that of my van and my wagon I used to pull it with. I have taken the trailer right up to the 3000 lb GVWR (maybe a little more on the back road) hauling wood and never had any problems.

Also one thing I have noticed (at least iwith my vehicles) is nothing is lighter than the cheapie stock stamped steel wheels.

Edit: One thing I must add is since these are not trailer wheels, I checked offsets and machined 1 inch thick wheel adapters to keep the tire centerline on the bearing centerline.

1989 Sunline Saturn T-1661
wagonman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #23

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Since I'm so paranoid about weight, I've been weighing each part as I disaasmble the trailer, a tire, 13 inch Goodyear Marathons, with a steel rim weighs 32 pounds on my trailer, less than I imagined. I assumed aluminum rims would weigh less, wrong again.
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #24

SUN #10
wagonman76
Good to know I am not the only one. When we loaded up the Sunline for the first trip out, I weighed everyhing as it went in. Turned out we were about 2700 lbs which was cool. GVWR is 3000 lbs. So is the listed towing capacity of the van with 2 passengers.

My first time hauling wood, I also bought an analog bathroom scale at the resale (tested it by weighing myself) and set every log on it before putting it in the trailer. The more experienced cutters looked at me funny but I did not want to find out the hard way if I was overloaded. After that I got a good feel for how much wood weighs depending on size and dampness.

1989 Sunline Saturn T-1661
wagonman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #25

SUN #1030
paulr
Started on the bathroom

Hello everyone, finally got a chance to work on my camper some more and decided to work on the very small bathroom. The wallpaper that was in the shower was bad, very bad, so I thought I would replace it and in the process I went ahead and redone everything.

still not sure what I am going to do to that yellow shower pan but I may paint it with epoxy paint.

The fish at the bottom were cut out of the wallpaper that is on the shower walls and then I cutout the exact shape in the wallpaper that is around the bottom of the shower pan, I still need to paint the vanity and replace the vanity top with laminate.

This in my opinion is the most important upgrade of the whole camper and I know some would disagree but it marked an import milestone in the rebuild, I am exactly half done with the list so with any luck I will get to go camping next month.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking good at the half way mark!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #27

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Paul, it just keeps getting better. Cool! Thanks for sharing

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #28

SUN #292
Paul,

How does wallpaper work out as a shower covering? It's a very nice looking and inexpensive solution over white plastic.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #29

SUN #128
Tweety
I would think it would depend on the wall paper. We had some one time that was vinyl and so thick that when I took it down I could have reused it. It came off in whole sheets. A type like that might work. Then there have been some over the years that were in the bathroom and just the humidity of showering daily made the seams peal.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #30

SUN #1030
paulr
Tweety is right, it depends on the wallpaper and how you do the seams and how you apply it, the wallpaper I used is thick and made of vinyl and cost 25.00 for a single roll, which is very expensive for wallpaper but for a shower application you can't skimp on quality, also the paper I used was unpasted, I have found the prepasted paper has weak glue and I am not sure it would hold up, all the seams need to be sealed and in my case I used white caulk, the main reason I used the wallpaper was to save weight because I knew I was putting in hardwood floors ( not done them yet ) and tile in the bathroom so I have to save weight where I can. Years ago we had a cabin on the lake and my wife remodeled the bathroom and used wallpaper in the shower and I thought she had gone mad but after years of showers it looked like it did the day she put it in, and I had to hear I told you so every time I used it.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #31

SUN #292
Thanks Paul. I'm going to do it.

What kind of paste do you use? Do you caulk the vertical seams? What do you use for caulking?

Thank you
Old 05-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #32

SUN #1030
paulr
Hi Honda03842, sorry for the slow response, I decided today I have to many irons in the fire and I wish I would stop taking on extra work but I am afraid not to because who know what the economy will do.
Now on to the questions.

I used Zinsser heavy duty wall covering adhesive and I used it full strength.

I did caulk the vertical seams in the corners.

and I used DYNAFLEX 230 from dap for caulk.

I bought my epoxy paint today for the shower pan and sink so I will post a before and after on the results. the name of the product is called tough as tiles paint. White Epoxy Tub Tile Paint by Homax Group Inc - More Epoxy paints at doitbest.com
Old 06-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #33

SUN #1030
paulr
A few more updates

Hello everyone, got the time to finish a few projects two important one not so much but was fun.

I found the time to finish the hardwood floor today and I really like the way it looks, the whole in the floor is for one of the metal inserts that hold the table.

I agonized over the doors from the day I started planing the remodel, they were in bad shape and were delaminating but the doors were built to be light and I wasn't sure I could reproduce all those doors and not come in way over weight so I thought I would try to save them using wood epoxy and some elbow grease, I am glad I did because they came out really good, the paint is polar white and it an automotive paint and is the same paint I will be using on the outside of the camper when it comes time to paint the tin.

This last little project was the most fun because not only did I solve a problem I was having with space but I learned something new that I otherwise would have never learned to do. I needed someplace to mount my xbox 360 and the cabinet that is beside the LCD is to shallow for it so after some pondering I decided to mount it beside the cabinet. There is a product that will allow you to mount the xbox behind an LCD that is mounted to a wall but I didn't want to buy one because if I bought everything I needed I would never learn anything , so after spending three times the amount on all the stuff I needed to build one, I can now use my new found skill of bending acrylic to use in the art world. I will post some pics and specs of the rig I built to do it when I get a chance with a separate wright up because I think it might be important for others who need to work acrylic.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #34

SUN #549
frank
Paul,

The paintwork looks great. Who's paint did you use and did you spray it?

I may have to paint some siding in the near future and am thinking I may paint it in pieces off the coach so that I don't have any lines showing up later from expansion and contraction.

- Frank
Old 06-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #35

SUN #292
The cabinet fronts are beautiful.

Please comment on the 'border wallpaper' (?) on the cabinet fronts. Did you spray over it with a clear coat?

Thank you,
Old 06-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #36

SUN #1130
Campit is an unknown quantity at this point
Great job. I'm really impressed not only with your work but your enthusiasm to take on such a challenge A few years back I attempted to repair a 20" travel trailer that had been jack knifed and water damage I too removed the front interior I saw the damage, the corner wall studs were rotted away from the floor one was snapped in half were the wiring ran thru I stood back and shook my head and said no way I sold it as is for $300, oh and I cant wait to see the stained glass
Old 06-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #37

SUN #1030
paulr
Hello Frank, I used ppg and I sprayed with an hvlp gun.

And thanks Honda03842, my wife decorated the doors after I painted them and then I cleared them with a water based clear, time will tell how well they hold up but I think they will last a life time, I know the clear sure makes them easier to clean I guess that is way in the high end buss's everything looks like it's been dipped in plastic.

Thanks campit, I can't wait to see the stained glass either but my wife jaime is apparently in no hurry to show it to us, in all fairness though she has a big job shes working on that actually pays money, I say the camper is more important but unfortunately ( or fortunately if I need to pay the bills ) I'm not in charge, not yet anyway but I'm planning a hostel takeover soon, well as soon as I get the spare room finished so I have somewhere to sleep when it don't work.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:26 AM   #38

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulr View Post

I say the camper is more important but unfortunately ( or fortunately if I need to pay the bills ) I'm not in charge, not yet anyway but I'm planning a hostel takeover soon, well as soon as I get the spare room finished so I have somewhere to sleep when it don't work.

Leo thought the same thing and he lost he does have has a spare room however - its called the trailer in the summer and "his" garage in the winter!!!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #39

SUN #292
Paul,

Did you ever spray your plastic shower pan with epoxy paint?

I purchased a white shower pan for our trailer but am considering epoxy for the little sink in the bathroom. If you tried it please mention the brand.

Thank you,

Norm