Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-02-2007, 06:56 AM   #1

SUN #328
bugbite
Sunline butts universal for bike carrier?

Are all Sunline Rear end panels and bumpers universal so we can start looking for possibilities for a bike rack on the rear of our Sunline

What brand have you 1050s have for your bike rack

Weight of the bike rack empty

Cool Runnings Silent and Swift
bugbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:27 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
BB

Carrying bikes on the back of a TT has a number of issues to work thru. Many have done it successfully and others have had disastrous results. In my case the end result was not favorable and I had to chane to an alternative method. So In my case I had to go with a front mounted receiver on the Suburban. Which it too is not 100% problem free.

Some of the don’ts:

- Do NOT mount a bike rack directly rear bumper of a newer Sunline. The bumper is only 1/8” thick and soft metal. It will twist and it can crack off the mounting tabs. Sunline use to have a rating of only 100# on the rear bumper and the spare tire took of about ½ of it.

If you do decide to go rear TT mounted rack.

- If you do go rear bike rack, have totally separate receiver added directly to the TT frame with nothing attaching to the bumper.
- Use a bike rack that holds the bikes by the tires, not a top hanging rack. The top hangers create high forces due to the leverage from the heavy bouncing going down the road.
- Check that the bike rack you buy does not have a warranty that is voided if you use it on the back of a TT (RV)
- Bikes take a real bouncing on the back of a TT. No schocks on the trailer and they are real far behind the last axles which creats a large teetor tootter effect bouncing the bikes and rack.

Carrying bikes is a real issue for some of us on how to do this. If you rig can accept it hear are the common ones I have found.

- Front mounted TV receiver
- TV roof mounted
- Rear TT mounted
- Inside the TT
- In a PU truck bed
- Using the Toprails system and mount it on the TT tongue.

All these have a level of issues. Investigate all and choose which one for your setup has the fewest evils.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:54 AM   #3

SUN #328
bugbite
As always you are helpful JohnB

How do those of you that bring bikes haul yours?

I see from your pictures you haul bikes, JohnB

How?

We figure we can put them in the front of the TT wrapped up going and coming. Wouldn't be without them. So much fun to go for spin to snoop and see everyone else's campsite and rigs.

Great for Topsail Hill for a spin around the campground and riding to the beach.

This is a must for us.

I think I know the racks you are talking about. They come out the receiver on a pole.

Strange hanging one on the back of the TT not a good choice.
Cool Runnings Silent and Swift
bugbite is offline   Reply With Quote