Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-19-2009, 05:43 AM   #1

SUN #187
precorguy
Storage Unit on Trailer Tongue

good day all:

on the RV.net forum someone has noted a modifiction where they installed a truck bed side box to the tongue of the trailer - where the batteries go (batteries were placed in side the box (vented) and they had room for other stuff as well).

this seems like an excellent idea - but i am concerned as to adding weight to the trailer tongue - the boxes weight a bit by themselves - plus cargo.

thoughts before i do this?

thanks

axle flip, back up lights, awning support, sewer hose carrier, 12V ouside plug, hinged top LP cover
Upcoming: ensclose underbelly, TV mount?
precorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:23 AM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Some of that is going to depend on which model you have, which WD system you are using (especially the rating of your spring bars), and what your tow vehicle you have. And, which cargo box you use.

I would be mostly concerned about the older Sunlines that have 5" C-channel for their A-frames. They can take some additional weight, but it would be difficult to guess when some becomes too much.

If your WD spring bars are already at their limit, it may be a factor. Worst case would be swapping up to the next size bars.

Your TV's rear axle rating may be a factor especially if you are already close to the max. before adding the cargo box.

Pat (emam) installed very long and heavy battery holders behind his propane tanks to accomodate 4 golf car batteries. And, he has a custom bicycle rack above the propane tanks. Keep in mind he has a newer 2499 with the much taller frame and A-frame material, a 3/4 ton TV, Air Ride leveling system, AND the weight on the A-frame is offset by the motorcycle they carry on an extension on the rear of the TT.

If you have followed his adventures, he found significant damage to the TT's framing where the axles are connected to the main frame. It was a straightforward repair, but not cheap. How much of that damage is attributable to the added weight of his unit is hard to say given the mileage and variety of on and off-road terrain that they have covered.

A great number of us have some additional weight on the A-frame. I have a second battery box full of steel parts for my FCP Lean-To. It weighs at least as much as a second battery which many, many folks have. I would not hesitate to add another hundred pounds or so to my A-frame.

One final thing to consider, if you have a 2499, there were a couple of years that had serious issues regarding the A-frame connection to the main frame.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Percoguy

I have not seen the box but do want to give a heads on the tongue weight. Your TT is made with the new redesigned 6” I beam frame and 4” channel iron tongue is it not?

Do you know your tongue weight now and did you ever add the fix to stiffen up the header?

Or do you happen to be one of the ones who had the last Sunline header fix like KathyH’s or Emans? If you do not know post a pic of the A frame and how it goes thru the header. While theirs is a T2499 that loads tongue heavy, any of the 7,000# GVWR rated Sunlines have the potential for header issues if the weights get up there.

I’m only giving a heads up to check it out. Eman has given us field tested data that if fixed correct, the new redesign frames tongue can survive heavily loaded. However if your does not have the last Sunline fix in it or unless you fixed it, then if you approach the heavier tongue weights, 1000# and up, issues may present them selves.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:25 AM   #4

SUN #128
Tweety
We explored this possibility last weekend after seeing that mod on RV.Net. It was determiined that the size box we could easily fit on the tongue was 1'x1'x1'. (could go a little bigger by moving batteries forward) Steve had not decided exactly how he was going to mount it because he didn't want to drill through the tongue, but was thinking U bolts. The only place we could find a box that size was online and it was $249. All the sudden our current plastic battery covers were looking pretty good But if you find a cheaper source of the box please provide us the link!
Pam
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote