Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #1

SUN #503
sdsferraro
Send a message via Yahoo to sdsferraro
Stabilizing jacks

Our TT came with 6 of the old aluminum screw jacks and it is definitely time to upggrade to the scissor jacks. My question is, Is there a difference from the 3k lb trailer jacks that run $40-50 each compared to buying the 3k lb GM scissor jacks that store sell? There does not seem to be anything different in appearance I can really see other than $30 extra dollars and both seem real sturdy.

Thanks,
Danny

Old 06-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Stabilizing jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsferraro
Our TT came with 6 of the old aluminum screw jacks and it is definitely time to upggrade to the scissor jacks. My question is, Is there a difference from the 3k lb trailer jacks that run $40-50 each compared to buying the 3k lb GM scissor jacks that store sell? There does not seem to be anything different in appearance I can really see other than $30 extra dollars and both seem real sturdy.
That would be literally personal preference.

The trailer jacks are actually fastened to the frame and you just crank them down to stabilize the trailer. A lot of folks carry a cordless heavy duty drill driver with the right socket attached and just power crank them up and down. Saves a lot of arm effort.

The scissors jacks from the auto store will work fine. Some of them have a hex head where the handle connects to the jack, and you can do the same trick with the drill driver. The downside is having to carry them from where ever you store them to where you need them and back.

One plus to the scissors jacks is that they can actually be used to lift a corner or side of the trailer. The crank down stabilizer jacks are not intended for that purpose where the scissors jacks are. The auto store scissors jacks should be sturdier than the stabilizers.

If I was making that purchase, I'd go with the auto store jacks, but get 5K or better jacks.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #3

SUN #503
sdsferraro
Send a message via Yahoo to sdsferraro
Thanks Steve! Carrying the jacks couldn't be as much of a pain as the stackable aluminum srew jacks are(I loveputtinig them in or taking them out if it's muddy). Might have to buy a couple and see if there is a way to clamp them to the frame, or might call a freind and get him to weld them.

So what do most people have 4 or 6 jacks? Thought about possibly adding 2 jacks towards the middle of the TT to help with stability.
Thanks again for your help!

Danny
Old 06-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #4

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Thanks Steve! Carrying the jacks couldn't be as much of a pain as the stackable aluminum srew jacks are(I loveputtinig them in or taking them out if it's muddy). Might have to buy a couple and see if there is a way to clamp them to the frame, or might call a freind and get him to weld them.
It's worth a try. I still use the aluminum screw jacks, but I have a bunch of cribbing boards that I place under the jacks that pretty much defeat the mud.

Quote:
So what do most people have 4 or 6 jacks? Thought about possibly adding 2 jacks towards the middle of the TT to help with stability.
Some of the folks with the bigger rigs are putting a set of stabilizers in the center for a total of six. For any size TT, stabilizing the wheels is critical. There are a couple of threads here about the various methods of chocking the wheels so that there is no rocking. My favorite is JohnB's homemade wooden ones. I made myself a set, and they are perfect.

I think with the smaller rigs like yours and mine, if you adequately chock up the wheels, four stabilizers plus the tongue jack is all that is necessary.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the frame mounted crank down stabaiizers, well, before Sunny was lifted, one got mangled so I had to replace it. I got a new 5K bolt on stabilizer from Northern Tool for like 25 bucks. The best thing I did was buy a GOOD set of between the wheel chocks. I purchased the BAL between the wheel chocks, as I don't have the means to make a set like JohnB did. I always cranked my jacks down really snug, but Sunny is really solid now with the BAL wheel chocks.

YIPPEE 8 day 'til the RALLY
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #6

SUN #1632
WandaLust is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty

YIPPEE 8 day 'til the RALLY
I already have "Stinky" all cleaned and almost all packed and ready to go. I plan to wear a name tag so people know who I am. I can't wait to get on the road.