Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #1

SUN #164
marywhotoo
Should I flip axels or not???

Hi, Here's the situation. I have a new Sunline T2363. I plan on towing the trailer on an ocean beach this summer. The trailer appears to be low.
It has 25" tires on it and the waste line slants downward. Has anyone towed this trailer on the beach without flipping the axels. Thanks

Old 03-18-2007, 10:13 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,

Do you actually plan to take the trailer on the beach? I didn't think many places allowed that anymore. I wouldn't worry too much about the ride height. I took my 2363 into some deep woods (on a hunting trip) and traversed through some pretty rough truck trails. There were many areas where the road was washed out and other areas where the ruts from big lifted 4x4's caused the trailer axles to ride on the sand in the center of the trail. It never got stuck though. With my 2251, I actually took it to another campsite (after traveling the same roads) and had to cross a corner bank for an ORV trail and it still didn't get stuck. The only issue was the WD bars dug into the sand bank once the TV went over, and then one of the rear scissor jacks dug in, but nothing caused me to get stuck.

If you really want to install the Over-Under kit, I see no problem with having it on, other than you have to worry about the extra height for clearing bridges and possibly inside storage.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:30 PM   #3

SUN #115
emam
The wife and I were kayaking all day and had to get to the water down some serious two-track in Southern Alabama, and we probably said 4 times "Were soooo glad we had our axles flipped and a 4" lift kit installed!"

These were some serious trials and if it wasnt for our lift kit, we would have never made it.

Are you going to be on trials like this often? That is more of the question. For us it was mandatory, but if it's just a once a year thing, then you might want to save the money. Then again, replacing your scissor jacks a few times will get pricey also.

This obviosly wasnt too crazy of a trail, but if you have a stock height coach, you'd know that you would almost be scraping on this type of two-track and run the risk of tearing something off.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote