Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #1

SUN #772
daveandsabrina
shoes for Hayes 10 x 1 5/8 brakes?

Can anyone tell me where to buy brake shoes for a 1990 T1550 with Hayes Axle with 10 x 1 5/8 brakes? I can't find them through local dealers in my area.
If the shoes are no longer available does anyone have a recommendation to replace the brakes? Should I replace them with a wider brake system and brake drum? Can I bolt them to the old axle? Will the studs be long enough to allow the wheels to bolt up to the wider drum?
We love our little 1550 TT as it is a good size for our TV (Uplander van with 3.9L). Thanks for any recommendations!

Dave and Sabrina

Old 01-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #2

SUN #597
henryj
Brake Parts

Hi Dave and Sabrina,

Welcome to the Sunline Owners Club and the forum. I hope I can be the first person to provide you with useful info. and that you'll become a regular participant.

I don't know your exact location, but this company is in Milton.
http://www.cerka.ca/brakes.html

I have never dealt with them, but have found their web site to be a useful resource. If you live close enough, I think you'll find trailer specialty companies like this to be a better source than RV dealers. Check your own local area for a similar company.

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #3

SUN #772
daveandsabrina
Cerka no 10 x 1 5/8 shoes

Thanks for the info on Cerka we are in London, ON so not too far from Milton, ON. I checked Cerka's web site and did not find the size that I need however they seemed to have good prices for larger brake assemblies in case I do need to change them to larger brakes.

Dave and Sabrina
Old 01-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #4

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Kelsey-Hayes was absorbed by LucasVariety in the '90's. In turn, LucasVariety was purchased by TRW in 1999, and continues to produce all kinds of vehicle braking systems and parts. So you may be looking for TRW parts at this point.

But, I found a complete parts list for the Hayes 1 x 1 5/8 brakes in the Bargman catalog. Here is the link for the complete catalog: http://www.bargman.com/Brakes/index.html - look on page 21 at the bottom for your brakes. The catalog says the brake shoe kits are no longer available, but a good trailer dealer (not an RV dealer) may well be able to find an equivalent part or recommend the correct replacement brakes for your TT.

Let us know how it goes.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:18 AM   #5

SUN #10
wagonman76
Sorry so late to the thread, haven't checked this forum in awhile.

It sounds like you have the same brakes as I had. I too found that shoes were discontinued. One thing about shoes is that you might be able to find a good auto parts store that can re-line the shoes. That would be your best bet.

The brakes are similar to a Dexter 10 x 1 1/2 which is also discontinued. The axle is a Hayes 2500# which is an in-between size. These days all they use is a 2000# or 3500#. And trying to change the brakes to something else isn't so easy. The backing plates, pivots, and stops are welded to the axle. And not only that, the bearings are an odd combination. You would pretty much have to just get a 3500# axle and swap it out.

So here's what I did. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...topic.php?t=55

1989 Sunline Saturn T-1661
wagonman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #6

SUN #772
daveandsabrina
relining solution

Thanks for your reply. Your solution is very impressive! As you mentioned I was unable to locate shoes anywhere. Someone at work had provided the same idea to have the existing shoes relined. I didn't even know this was possible. It cost about $150 for the pair and I received them last week. Thanks for your suggestion!