Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-17-2017, 06:49 PM   #1

SUN #9338
RV4three is an unknown quantity at this point
🐝Removing valances and blinds

It took a few minutes and some effort but I figured out how to remove the valance and blind over the window by the sofa. We took all the curtains off and washed them. A few have a very brown water stain on them that didn't come out. I'll treat with some peroxide tomorrow to see if I can get them out. I'm not sure what I'm doing for the windows but I definitly won't put valances back up. Too dated for my taste. If anyone wants them please let me know quickly because I won't be able to store them. They are the "Confetti Blue" fabric. A few of the metal blinds are in excellent shape. I won't be putting those back up either. Let me know if you need these things. I hate them to go to waste if someone else can use.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:54 AM   #2

SUN #9338
What have any of you used to mount curtain rods where valances used to be? I am wondering is I can use the previously drilled holes at the top of the windows where the valances were mounted. If I use those plastic "plugs" that have the serrated edges, will they hold or should I drill new holes?

Old 06-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #3

SUN #9333
JohnByrum is an unknown quantity at this point
We are recovering the valances and I've thought about how to do curtain rods but I'm know I'm going to use stainless pop rivets for the blind hold downs. They would probably work on the rod too if there is no stud in that location

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #4

SUN #9333
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnByrum View Post
We are recovering the valances and I've thought about how to do curtain rods but I'm know I'm going to use stainless pop rivets for the blind hold downs. They would probably work on the rod too if there is no stud in that location

Old 06-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
We too redid our valances. In our case the valance held the mini blinds and the spring loaded curtain rod we added.

See here for some pics. My wife Cindy did all the sewing work, I was just the hanger guy.... I use wood and metal on the camper, she uses cloth, yarn and thread...

Before

After

And we redid the wall paper boarder to better match the new look

To your question on if the plastic expanding anchors will hold a curtain rod. If the rod mount is on top of a wall stud, then you can screw right to the stud and not need the plastic anchors. If the rod mount is out in the open area of the wall and no studs, I do not think the plastic anchors will last for holding power. The wall board is only 1/8" luan plywood. Not very strong against pull out. The plastic expanding anchor I do not think will grip the 1/8" wall board correctly like it can on 1/2" thick home dry wall.

If you want to try the expanding anchors, suggest finding some thin wood, like old paneling that is 1/8" thick and do a test out in the open to see if if will hold.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:15 AM   #6

SUN #9338
Thanks JohnB! And to Cindy, great job! I checked for studs yesterday and I think I have studs where needed. Everything RV on hold for BIG yard sale this weekend!
Old 06-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #7

SUN #9333
I thought I would post an update on my valances and curtains. Ruthie did all if the hard work on recovering them and I just installed them

Old 06-09-2017, 09:59 PM   #8

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi John,

WOW.... those valances look great!!!! Ruthie and you did an outstanding job. They are excellent!

Thanks so much for sharing. These kind of pict-o-upgrade posts are outstanding.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
confetti, curtains, valances