Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #1

SUN #1031
DebB
Removing carpet

Has anyone removed or replaced the carpet in their TT? I would love to put in a vinyl floor or laminate but I'm stumped with how to do the slide room area. Any suggestions?
Deb
320SR

Old 03-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
HI Deb,

I often read about carpet removal in RV.Net. I think a lot of folks leave the carpet in the slide area and remove all the rest. By leaving the carpet in the slide area the "joint" between the slide floor & stationary floor are covered. I have already thought about "when" we remove our carpeting in the F311. Actually, I had thought about it when we had the T320. Carpeting really does not belong in an RV in my opinion. Lots of folks in RV.Net are using "Allure" flooring, but I haven't investigated it. Keep us posted on your decision, and take/post photos if possible.

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Deb

The slide rug is stuffed slightly under the wall. To get it out you will have to use a sharp utility knife. I see you have a 2003 camper. Your slide and mine while different floor plan, is built the same.

See this post as it has many pictures of the carpet, what is under the carpet, the steel metal edge that spans the slide trough and the gap Kitty is talking about.

Slide Floor damage

The carpet can come out fairly easy with the worst being getting the rug wood strip along the wall off. If after looking you are still considering it, I can give you some pointers on how to get that wood strip along the wall up with the 30 some screws in it… The gap is something to figure out as the rug spans it. Tile over the gap will have issues unless you create a wood cover that is removable to bring the slide in. Since you are on a seasonal site, it is probably doable. The main slide would have to be built up that cover thickness but again doable. Or you change the carpet to another new one.

I want to also give you a friendly heads up. Your slide is made like mine and there are holes in the black vapor membrane along the edge that allow screws to hold the slide floor up. Those holes can allow water to get in under the vapor barrier can create a mess like I have. Cover up the holes even with duck tape if that is all you have. A product called Flexmend repair tape that I linked you to on my post is a permanent repair tape. The duct tape will only last so long. And before you seal it up, make sure it is not wet above the barrier and the floor soft along the front or rear end of the slide. If water is in there, there is no way for it to get out.

Another friendly recommendation after living thru my fix, when you go home after the camper stay, bring the slide in verses leaving it out. The sun will not beat on the slide seals and the rain will then never be on the slide roof or ever attempting to get in under the slide. I truly believe my damage came from this camper being on a seasonal site or at the dealers lot with the slide open for months on end and no one home. The odds where that much greater for water to get in.

Good luck and hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:13 AM   #4

SUN #1031
DebB
John
You have a nice floorplan in your camper. I love the rear entertaining area with all the windows.
Thanks for the heads up on the potential leaks in the slide room. We do leave the slide open during the camping season but retract it for the winter. We don"t have a slide topper but we did put a tarp up last year to deflect water so we could leave the side windows open. Worked great!

Kitty,
I can see why pictures are important. John did a great job with the pictorial on his repairs. I too can't understand the reasoning of putting carpet in a camper. I would love to remove it but don't know what to do with the metal plate that the slide runs over. I was thinking I could paint it to match. I would love to find the manufacture of the vinyl that is in there now so I could use that. Does anyone know who makes it?

I'll post pictures when I can.
Deb