Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #1

SUN #201
Charlsve
rear wall stud locations on 264SR?

Sorry I've just been browsing the forum, not posting anything, this past winter. Great information all through the threads from all of you, and I'm appreciative, as it gives me a lot to look through at lunch here at work! Snow is *finally* going away here in MA. so might be able go get the TT out in another week or two. Camping dates all set for Mom's Day weekend on through the summer already. I'm glad my wife likes to camp, so she can't really complain too hard when all the 'weekend' yard work doesn't get done (again this year)!

Anyway, I'd like to hang a removeable chair rack (that normally goes onto a roof ladder) onto the back outside wall of our 264SR ('05), so I want to mount appropriate bars onto the back to act as ladder rungs would. My wife gave me the chair holder for Xmas without realizing it's for a motorhome ladder but it's neat and I want to use it. I'm thinking I might be able to use a couple of those white heavy duty bathroom tub-assist bars for the purpose of hanging it onto the trailer. I could not find any 264SR stud info in the 'files' section of the forum ....does anyone have specific info on the support locations before I try to locate the studs from the inside and do the outside reference-measure thing? I believe, withhout going to look at my brochure right now, that there was SR another model with the rear bathroom configuration like the 264?

---I knew I should have taken more pictures of this at the factory tour!

Oh, another quick question: I saw a pix of a late model 264SR for sale on the Web and it didn't appear to have a front bedroom picture window. Did Sunline actually eliminate that feature on the last 264's they made? Just curious is all.

Thanks,
Charlie

Old 03-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: rear wall stud locations on 264SR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlsve
Oh, another quick question: I saw a pix of a late model 264SR for sale on the Web and it didn't appear to have a front bedroom picture window. Did Sunline actually eliminate that feature on the last 264's they made? Just curious is all.
Hi Charlie

The later models (starting with '06 I think - Jon (aka SunlineFan) proably knows the exact model year ) Sunline started installing head-boards over the bed - replacing the window. I think I remember their reason was that they did this due to customer suggestions based on many customers stating that condensation was dripping down from the window onto the bed.

Sorry I can’t help with any specific information on the location of the rear studs.
Hopefully someone else here can.

Quote:
Snow is *finally* going away here in MA.
Wrt your snow finally leaving – we just got another few inches last night . I had an appointment to get the trailer inspected today – had to postpone it until next week. I have this thing about not pulling the trailer in snow.

Have a great summer camping.
Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:04 PM   #3

SUN #201
Charlsve
Thank you, Hutch, for the info on the window. I was just curious. We leave vent open a bit and don't seem to have excessive condensation, although sometimes we do get a bit.

We don't have to get our trailers inspected in MA (yet) but I did put the '08 sticker on the plate last weekend. Good luck and happy camping to you also.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #4

SUN #492
GhettoMedic
Quote:
We don't have to get our trailers inspected in MA (yet) .
SHHHHHHHH! Don't give them any ideas
https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...9/mycamper.jpg
GhettoMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #5

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hutch & Charlie,

Yes, they did quit installing bedroom windows starting with the '06 model year. Like Hutch said, LaRue told me the reason was because customers complained of condensation dripping down on their heads. I personally have never had this problem, but I suppose when every sale counted toward the end, they had to do everything they could to get them.

Wrt the stud locations, I don't have anything more than what is posted here already. The 267/276SR has a very similar rear end, but not exact. I'm not sure how similar the back wall structure is. I would recommend trying to make something that will mount to the bumper to hold the chair rack.

Did you take pics at your factory tour? If you did, I'd love to see them.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:26 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Charlsve

See if this helps any. While I do not know of the T264 specifically , I have tracked down studs on my Sunlines.

I was talking with LaRue once and they build then on 16” centers. And from what I have found, for the most part they follow 16”. I say the most part as on a camper getting a very long run without some large cut out going on can be challenge. Fridge vent, large window, door frames, cargo holes, etc.

I just a few weekends ago had to find them on my T310SR on the side walls to mount my outside kitchen. Here is what I did. This works for the Aluminum side, don’t know if the fiberglass will flex like this.

If you can get to the area of the camper on the inside, they use 1/8” Luan board as the interior walls. And it flexes. They have to out full length studs in the corners and at most all door ways and ends of the windows. So starting from a known location, press the wall and find the stud spot. You can tell by the flex or lack of it pressing again the wall. Then go 16” from that location. You should find one. When you do, then go another 16” from there and start searching.

Once you find the pattern measure off something you can find outside. A window edge, side of the camper, door frame etc.

Then outside measure from that spot once again and start feeling around. Press gently and you can find the studs on the behind the aluminum. Then do the same thing with the 16” You should bump into that pattern again. The aluminum side can fool you as it bow so much some times that it is hard to tell where the stud is. But they are there….

I have one of the electronic stud finders I use in the house type construction, but never tried it yet on the camper inside. Don’t know if the metal siding will mess up the signal or not.

Good luck.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:10 AM   #7

SUN #201
Charlsve
Thanks John B, for the detailed locating information. I have the alum. siding so will see what I can do. I may try the stud finder just to see if it'll work from the inside despite the outside aluminum. I have enough stuff on the bumper already and the weight is right at the 100lb limit!

Sunline Fan (Jon) ---yes I took pictures about a year and a half before the plant closed on my tour with LaRue, and also went to the auction (aka: sad day) on my way to the Carlisle, PA car meet last year. I think I have a few Pix from then also. Problem might be that I used my ancient Sony Mavica and will have to find the floppy disks. I'll try to do that this week or the weekend and will then need instructions on how to post pictures, since I'm a bit PC-challenged in that regard.

Charlie
Old 03-31-2008, 03:25 PM   #8

SUN #67
264SRinPA
Charlie, I'm in the same boat. I want to add a center awning support, and having a hard time finding the studs from the outside. I have an expensive stud finder but it doesn't seem to work on the trailer. Not sure if the aluminum screws the thing up. The bad thing is the inside area where I need to find the stud is behind a cabinet. The important thing is to measure twice and drill a hole once.

Sunlines= '06-2075, '06-264SR
264SRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote