Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #1

SUN #132
Makers Mark
Pergo Floor?

Hello All,
I am seeking opinions and suggestions pro and con for a mod my DW wants.
We both love our 2363, but always had said that we wished we had custom ordered so we could have had vinyl all around instead of the carpet accents. JL is always struggling with stains and dirt. She has always said it would be easier with vinyl. At Eastern M&G even Sunline Fan said it would be a major job. I have done some research on RV net and there have been some pros and cons with using the Pergo, however the pictures posted on some remodeling jobs look very nice.
Here is my revised compromise plan. If you are familiar with the 2363 layout, (I know you are Jon), I could just rip out the living, kitchen and hall portions of the coach. That would leave the carpet under the couch and in the bedroom; and leave the vinyl in the bathroom. That area is roughly 59 square ft and reduces the scope of the job by eliminating the hard to do trim areas of the bedroom and bath. I have had experience with Bruce flooring in the house (3 rooms approx 800 sq ft) and our son in-law is an experienced trim carpenter for plenty of expert help with trimming. He would do it up right with returns on the trim and such.
I also have concerns on the reliability and wear of the Pergo itself. How it stands up to spills etc. Also I am thinking I should do the lay-in instead of the glue-in just in case of problems. As far as the finish around the door, that is the only area that I can't figure an appropriate trim for.
Sooooo……any ideas??
Thanks in advance,
MM

2015 Rockwood 2608WS (SOB)
SUN # 132
Makers Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Jay,

Well, I don't have much experience with Pergo, but I can help you with some of the trim details. I think it could be a very easy job depending on what you want to make of it. I don't know how your couch is set up, but mine went straight through to the front wall underneath. There was no divider or anything, so for my '94 it would have been easier to go straight up to the front wall instead of trimming it out before the couch.

As for by the doors: If you remove the trim plate on the inside of the door (about 4 square head screws), it will reveal yet more carpet and your second VIN plate. Remove this plate and put the new floor under there, and then reinstall the plate. Then, reinstall that door trim piece and it will trim out the door just like it would have been from the factory.

I personally think the vinyl is better in the bathroom anyway due to the moisture in there from the shower. Also, if the toilet or sink overfill, I think the vinyl will hold up better with the water and won't absorb it some like wood would.

Then again, you could always upgrade to that 264SR at Buttonwood!

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #3

SUN #132
Makers Mark
Hey Jon,
My couch has a carpeted piece of trim that goes the entire length of the couch. I like it because it keeps things slid in from the front cargo doors in line without coming out from under the couch. That would make a clean transistion for the floor. Thanks for the door info. I saw the screws you are refering to, but I thought it was attached to the entire door assembly. That would be easy if that sill just comes off by itself.
Yea, that was a pretty coach at Buttonwood. That would be one heck of an upgrade for us, but would have to upgrade the TV also. $$$$$$
Thanks,
Jay
SUN # 132
Old 08-08-2007, 02:06 PM   #4

SUN #123
They should have thought of that piece of wood upgrade before! I always had the problem of stuff coming out from under the couch. It rarely slid very far, but it was just enough so you'd see it in the couch skirt. Maybe it had something to do with the fact I had the compartment so full .

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 08-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #5

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Pergo Floor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makers Mark
I also have concerns on the reliability and wear of the Pergo itself. How it stands up to spills etc. Also I am thinking I should do the lay-in instead of the glue-in just in case of problems.
We've got Pergo in our kitchen at home. I did the install myself over 7 years ago using the older style "glue together" Pergo. If I had it to do over, I'd use the snap-together panels but they were not available then.

It has held up to daily use extremely well, and unless you drop something sharp and heavy on it, it is nearly impervious to damage.

I did the lay-in (rather than glue the panels to the subfloor) and am very, very happy with that. Just get their caulk and caulk the perimeter edges like they recommend to prevent water damage to the edges of the flooring.

Pergo comes with very good instructions (at least it did when I did our kitchen) so take the time to read them carefully and get a full understanding of your project. It is worth it in the end.

They also have a number of different transtion strips for going from Pergo to carpet or other materials, and you may want to check that out for transitioning to your vinyl floored bathroom or your carpeted bedroom.

Spills are no problem with Pergo - just wipe them up with a damp cloth. Cleaning is equally easy. We use Swiffer Wet but other products are just as good.

CAUTION: Pergo and other laminate floorings are very slippery when wet. Even a small splash can be dangerous. We have a small rubber-backed rug by the sink to prevent accidents. Wipe up spills promptly.

One comment here: If I was in a position to order a trailer today, I would specify vinyl throughout the rig. NO CARPETS! The rental versions of RV's have got it right - it's a lot easier to clean, and if there is damage, it is much easier to replace. And, I could go back in later and easily upgrade some of the rooms to Pergo or other laminate floorings.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:12 PM   #6

SUN #128
Tweety
We installed the Armstrong version of Pergo in our family room a couple of years ago. It is the snap together type. We both worked on it and it was SO easy. The family room is 12 x 20 and we did it in a day including trimming it out. Consider that the borders require a 1/4" gap all around for expansion of the floor. This will require the addition of 1/4 round molding at the edges, so you'll want to check that this is possible in your trailer. Our instructions said to be careful to wipe up spills quickly so liquids don't seep in the cracks. I just love our floor and would definitely choose it again.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:55 PM   #7

SUN #132
Makers Mark
Thanks for all your input. I think this is a do-able mod for me. Will have to pick my time though, don't want to be in construction during camping season. Wife and I agree Steve, all vinyl should be the standard in trailers it makes things easier. Went to Loews today for some ideas and color samples. From what I saw the trim pieces available should make the job easy. Thanks again all.
Jay MM
SUN # 132
Old 08-09-2007, 08:16 PM   #8

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Jay,

Can't wait to see your new floor next year at the 2008 Eastern M&G.

You'll have to post pictures of during modification and at completion.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:39 AM   #9

SUN #132
Makers Mark
Yea Hutch, at the 08 M&G we will have a ribbon cutting with cocktails following.

I will try to document for you. My dark secret is that I am digital picture illiterate. When the time comes I will need coaching from you guys like you have helped others. Too much camping to do right now.

Regards,
Jay
SUN # 132
Old 08-13-2007, 08:44 AM   #10

SUN #196
tinybluetj
Consumer Reports Rates the "Lowes Brand" stuff the best (Swift Lock, I think it is). Turns out, this company developed it, and then sold the idea to Pergo, but with the condition they can still sell it. They use all of the same manufacturing and stuff. So you are getting a Pergo floor at 1/3 -1/2 the price. Just thought I would throw that in!

PS- when you are done, wanna come do my kitchen?
Old 11-29-2007, 04:37 PM   #11

SUN #128
Tweety
Did you do the Pergo?
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:59 AM   #12

SUN #132
Makers Mark
Not yet Pam. I am sorry to say we closed the coach for the winter. We have to store so it is not to easy to get projects done. We have taken samples over to pick color and hope to start as soon as the weather breaks. I am not expecting a problem, I have put down 600 sq Bruce flooring in our house and this should be easier. I hope I am not being too optimistic.
Jay
SUN # 132
Old 11-30-2007, 08:45 PM   #13

SUN #368
Marylyn
It may not be as easy as doing your house, there are a lot fewer clean runs and a lot more cuts per square foot in a travel trailer. All that said, we did do the whole floor in my 1740 in a light maple from Sam's club, one of the floors with the attached underlayment. DH started the job, then we had a friend finish it because we too don't park our trailer at our main house. The friend had to do all the trim work. There are a lot more cuts than you could imagine for a little trailer!

But it's worth it! I really should find some photos that I have of the floor just about done...okay, here they are:
First, had to pull up the floor from the door around to the other side of the sink. The soft floor was the result of a leak in the hose that filled the potable water tank (see it behind the water pump...access panel is off in one of the photos)...these first photos are of the plywood I cut to cover that area. Painted it on both sides with exterior porch paint. Thought I could stop there, but DH had different ideas (see further below):

Then DH decided that the floor all the way to the sofa should be torn up, he had a suspicion that there was some wet stuff back there, and he found a bit of black and moldy insulation under the particle board, so he pulled everything up and put down a new subfloor everywhere from the dinette back. Interesting that the floor studs are 2x3's laid on their sides and not on their ends. So he decided to reinforce them with other pieces in between. Below that is the black underbelly, I think, yes? Then he insulated the floor again, put down new ply everywhere and started the laminate. These photos are taken from the middle of the corridor facing the sofa in the back; sink is on the left:

And here is where he began the laminate:

See all the cuts that were going to have to be done to finish the job? It's still not all finished, my friend ran out of quarter round (which is what I brought to finish the edges, so it's not all trimmed out under the dinette. That will get done sometime soon, I had to use the camper as late as last weekend (dry camping at the Big E in West Springfield for a dog show)...but now it can rest for the rest of the winter...and in the spring, I'll have my choice of this camper or our new to us 2653.

All the work this took, and DH still would like to replace some of the carpeting in the 2653 with this exact laminate.

I first thought I should try to match the cabinets when choosing laminate, but then I decided to go for the lightest natural looking floor I could find.

When I'm back at the camper, I should take some photos of the finished floor, but actually it just looks like the regular floor only maple!

Good luck with your project!
2003 Excursion
Marylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:07 PM   #14

SUN #132
Makers Mark
Thank you Marylyn, I appreciate your input and pictures.
I can see I may be in for more of a job than I expect. I will have to think this out very carefully this winter. My ace in the hole is a son in-law who is a very good trim carpenter. Guess who is getting that job! I do hope I do not run into soft flooring like you did, I can see where that will become a major job.
I was wondering what you found when you pulled up the carpet. Was there vinyl flooring under the carpet or do they terminate the vinyl for the carpet?
Regards,
MM
SUN # 132
Old 11-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #15

SUN #123
Wow Marylyn, that looks like a big job. I hope I won't have to do the same in the spring! If I do pull up the carpet, I haven't decided what I'd replace it with- most likely not carpet, but if it's easier, I may.

Jon
Old 12-01-2007, 07:13 AM   #16

SUN #368
Marylyn
This 1740 Was All Vinyl

I know I've seen some with carpet in front of the sofa, but not this one. So it was all particle board beneath. Too bad, the previous owner had this trailer for a number of years, and Weyerhauser actually is the company that waranteed the "structurewood" I think it's called for ten years, but it is what it is. I'm just lucky that I couldn't find an RV place to do the work (otherwise I suspect this project would have been much more expensive), that I myself know that the whole floor has been replaced properly. That black and moldy insulation under the rear flooring was a surprise. It was also the source of a very mild moldy smell that has not returned in the four months that I've had this camper, and I store it with closed windows and vents, so if there was going to be any residual smell, it would have come up by now.

Maybe there was a carpet in front of the sofa? And it was removed, leaving vinyl that was always there? Hmmm, going to have to see if the 1740 floor plan in 1996 routinely had carpet down.

The one good thing about this floor is that is *can* be laid over existing floor, including carpet though that's not the way DH wants to do it in the 2653, and that it's floating, so if your trim work is good, the edges on the floor do have to have some space. I think something like a quarter of an inch. Saves knuckles just a little bit when trying to get the panels closest to the wall placed. DH just really thought it was kind of tight to work in there on the best of days, and this was his first experience with laminate. It won't be his last, though!

I have looked at some of the new Jayco's and they seem to have the stone tile kind of laminate in them. This also looks really nice. But I chose the wood floor, I'm more a traditionalist.

BTW, the soft floor in this trailer is something I knew about going in. I saw the cause shortly after I bought it, but I always knew it was just from the bottom. For the price of a $3.00 hose, I will keep one around and check them on a regular basis on both our Sunnies.

2003 Excursion
Marylyn is offline   Reply With Quote