Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-22-2012, 05:13 AM   #1

SUN #784
jsms264
Need advise on adding second battery........

I need to replace the battery, it’s the original (24DC24) so it's time for a replacement. We don’t get out much camping over the last few years, but whenever we do its almost always primitive so I really want the additional power. I have done some research and thinking 2 (two) 12 volt batteries will be best for me. I am pretty handy, but I have a huge mental block with the 12 volt power supply for an RV. So, I was hoping someone could help with a few questions I have.

I have searched the forum and can’t find these answers....although I am sure somewhere on here it has been discussed...sorry for the repeat!

1) 2 - 12 volt batteries run in parallel correct?

2) What is the minimum gauge wire should I use?

3) Will the American Power Converter that came with the 2005 264 be able to handle 2 - 12 volt batteries?

2005 Sunline 264SR
2005 Chevy 1500HD 4X4 6.0 4WS
jsms264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The stock converter is not much they don't have a very good charge rate they will charge both batteries but slowly. Yes the batteries should be wired parallel you can join them with a wire as small as #6 as long as they are close together because the camper feed wire is no bigger then a #6 and the current draw is not that great however with wire bigger is all ways better.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #3

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
... however with wire bigger is all ways better.
And sometimes easier. Go to Autozone (or similar), you'll find ready-made pos. and neg. cables in a set. They're meant to wire starters. That's what I used.
I also strongly advise getting a battery minder Batteryminders Specials | BatteryMinders.com
I remove my batteries when I park the trailer and get them out of the heat (or cold) and keep them on a maintainer. Don't depend on your on-board converter to maintain your batteries over perods of non-use, especially if, as you said, you don't go very often.
So, two, identical, brand-new, deep cycle 12V batteries, wired parallel is what I use. They're sitting in my basement on the Battery Minder and will be until July 4 when they go to a cow pasture along the Shenendoah River for 4 days. Then home and back to the basement.

Teach
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote