Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-07-2007, 06:12 AM   #1

SUN #187
precorguy
Modification thoughts - comments?

good day all:

with not comping and missing the sunline (i know how sad) i have turned to things that i would like to do:

dealer things:

awning cradle to hold the centre of the awning while in travel (as i don't know where the wall studs are)
having the flex in the siding fixed and the bathroom tap replaced (under warranty)

my things:

heat pads (ultraheat) on the tanks or enclosing the bottom of the trailer -- not so easy but doing i think?
Canada/US sticker map on plexiglas (if i can find the maps and stickers --- i guess camping world)
eplace the cheap plastic light above the dining table and adding a nicer nickle finished light (just more decorative)?
bike rake above the propane tanks so we can take our bikes (thinking about this one for the spring)?
would love to replace the little ceiling speakers as they sound a little off -- but not sure where to get dome type speakers like the ones used in the our t-2553 --- source options?
replace the OEM tires with new ones since we have driven about 15,000 km on them and well they are misson and i am somewhat concerned as to quality.

well i think that this is about it for now --- have a great one eveyone and thanks for any comments - help you are able to provide.

alex

Old 11-07-2007, 08:11 AM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Modification thoughts - comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by precorguy
would love to replace the little ceiling speakers as they sound a little off -- but not sure where to get dome type speakers like the ones used in the our t-2553 --- source options?
Alex,

I think you will find that those loudspeakers are standard automotive speakers. You should be able to find upgrade replacements at any store that carries a good selection of automotive sound gear. In this area, I'd go to Circuit City first. Best Buy is also an option, but I have never had much luck with getting any customer service in their stores when looking at making a purchase so I don't bother setting foot in their stores if I can avoid it.

I don't know if Circuit City or Best Buy have stores in Ontario, but any good stereo shop that carries automotive sound gear should be able to supply you with what you want.

You may not even have to modify the mounting as I believe those speakers are a standard size.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:00 AM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alex,

Quote:
having the flex in the siding fixed (under warranty)
I don't know what you're talking about, but it might be a good idea not to mess with it unless it could leak water. If any of the siding with striping on it gets damaged, you won't be able to replace it.

Quote:
heat pads (ultraheat) on the tanks or enclosing the bottom of the trailer -- not so easy but doing i think?
I don't know about adding the tank heaters aftermarket. From what I've seen on units (non-Sunline) that come with tank heaters, the tanks are fully enclosed, so it protects the heating elements and gives them somewhere to mount to. It might be difficult to fabricate an enclosure for the tanks.

Quote:
Canada/US sticker map on plexiglas (if i can find the maps and stickers --- i guess camping world)
You should be able to find it at Camping World or a dealer. Here in the states, the Canadian map is a little less common, but up there you should have no problem finding it.

Quote:
eplace the cheap plastic light above the dining table and adding a nicer nickle finished light (just more decorative)?
This should be pretty easy to do, just get your 12V light, remove the old one, wire up the new one, and mount it up. Make sure to test the light before you drill for the mounting brackets. Most likely it'll extend out from where the original light was, so if it doesn't work and the old one has to go back up, you wouldn't want unnecessary holes in the ceiling.

Quote:
bike rake above the propane tanks so we can take our bikes (thinking about this one for the spring)?
This should be pretty easy to do, but I haven't done it.

Quote:
replace the OEM tires with new ones since we have driven about 15,000 km on them and well they are misson and i am somewhat concerned as to quality.
I'd say this would be a good idea, especially if you plan on doing a lot of traveling. If you want to spend the money, go for it. I'd recommend Goodyear's personally.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #4

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hi Alex

The heat pads are definitely something you can do yourself. Ultra Heat has a nice web site with instructions, etc.

I would recommend going with the AC units. The VDC ones would drain your battery really fast if you're not plugged into shore power.

If you do this, don't forget about doing the pipes, elbows, and valves and your fresh water tank if it's located below the trailer.
Just putting a heat pad on the tank won't stop the pipes from freezing.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #5

SUN #256
Bobo
As for the ceiling speakers, Fairly easy swap out. The speaker size is 5 1/4 inch round. You will probably need a drill and bits to redrill mounting holes. The OEM speaker is a six hole mount, most after market are four hole. I myself, put in two sets of Polk coaxial speakers in my T-2499. Much better sound quality than the cone type. I picked them up at Circuit City. Watch the Sunday ads in the newspaper for the sales.

The OEM radio that comes with the Sunline does a fine job driving the coaxials, unless you want to install something with more power to rattle the windows and drive the neighbors nuts. DW always puts a CD of nature sounds in at night. Set the volume on low and perfect to go to sleep with. When I get up early in the AM, I just set the speakers to the bedroom only so to cover up any noise that I make when I enjoy my coffee and read the paper.

Bobo

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:05 AM   #6

SUN #187
precorguy
thanks everyone for your idea and comments --- i have decided to do the following after speaking to the dealership:

> awning cradle (they are going to install it -- the pcice was goo - only $47.00 labour plus the part $50.00 --- so around $100.00 with tax -- and that way i know i won't mess it up!)

> speakers - i am going to take your advise and look around --- the ones in our unit are not recessed into the ceiling - they are small rounded triangular things that attach to the ceiling

Steve - we do have best busy just not cuircut city - but with our dollar as it is - we have been doing some shopping in the states anyway -- so how knows after spending so much on exchange to get american money, perhaps i can now get a deal

> heat pats ---- i am going to forgo this one until next season --- when i can do the work myself --- the dealership want too much money to install (i get the opinion they hate to do it) and its something i can work at easily enough.

hutch --- i had thought about the waterlines -- i know that there are two that run under the trailer from one side of the bathroom to the other --- also, the ultraheat pads are both 120V & 12 V --- i thought the 12V would be good for travelling --- so i will let u know how i make out.

> finally, the siding -- the dealership is going to repair it for free --- they provided a 1 year warranty given that the sunline factory closed --- which was great --- they have been fantastic to deal with

perhaps when i get around to it - i will finally post a few pictures of our unti and what not

thanks again for all your help!!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #7

SUN #382
Mooney
Alex,

As far as a bike rack, I put ours on a Thule rack in a front trailer hitch (2" receiver type), available through JC Whitney or any place that sells hitches. I don't know what you tow with, but my Chevy's headlights are only slightly interfered with when the bikes are on the front (I drive a company-owned 18 wheeler, so I am used to pretty bad lighting).

The difference between Best Buy and Circuit City (as far as Customer Service (or lack thereof) is that CC employees are paid mainly through commission, that's why they are so adamant about haveing themselves available. BB employees are paid an hourly rate (and seem- at least around here- less likely to pressure you toward more expensive items) so they take their jobs a bit less seriously. I usually go knowing exactly what i want- so all I need is for someone to grab a box for me...

Greg
'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #8

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney
The difference between Best Buy and Circuit City (as far as Customer Service (or lack thereof) is that CC employees are paid mainly through commission, that's why they are so adamant about haveing themselves available. BB employees are paid an hourly rate (and seem- at least around here- less likely to pressure you toward more expensive items) so they take their jobs a bit less seriously. I usually go knowing exactly what i want- so all I need is for someone to grab a box for me.
The problem with Best Buy (for me) was while I knew what I wanted, there were no sales associates anywhere in the store to go get it out of the back room. The five other customers in the TV department at the same time had the same complaint. I spoke to the manager on the way out and after explaining the situation to him, I told him that I would never set foot in their stores again. I don't like being ignored when I want to spend my money in his store. He didn't have a good explanation other than to apologize. I've always meant to write a letter to the head of the company and return my rewards card with that letter.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I think that if all of us Sunline folks eagerly want to hear good advice and information about good products and services, then I believe that you want to hear about bad products and experiences, too.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote