Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #1

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Maxxair Turbo/Maxx Disappointment

The Maxxair Turbo/Max has been touted as practically a miracle for keeping your RV cool.

I have the Turbo Maxx with the temperature control

I have been testing it today in my little T-1950 Its quite hot here, about 89 degrees with high humidity and the temperature in my RV is 86 degrees! I see little to no difference using in on the exhaust setting.

I have the awning up. At first I had some windows on the shady side open but decided to close all the windows when using the fan because of the humidity.

I am doing something wrong? Is the only real cooling using the air intake with the temp control? It appears to me that when I do that it is just bringing in humid air.

I don't get it? I am expecting too much? Is it installed correctly? I had the dealership do it and its seems simple enough.

I do expect some cooling for the cost.

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #2

SUN #67
264SRinPA
Yes you're expecting too much. The fan is just pulling all that hot and humid air inside. But once the sun goes down and it starts to cool off outside, the fan will start doing it's job. We also have a Turbo Maxx

Sunlines= '06-2075, '06-264SR
264SRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #3

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree, you're expecting too much. I found it worked well but only when it was cooler outside. I'd close the door and all but one window over the bed and exhaust the air for 5 minutes drawing the cooler air through.

I still have a MaxxAir today but in a hot and humid situation I use a generator (2, Honda 2000's) and A/C if I'm allowed even just to cool it down if I don"t have power.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #4

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Well really that is a relief to know. I have never seen one in action before and apparently there is some over blown rhetoric on some RV Forums about what it is capable of doing so I thought that something was wrong with mine! Of course now that I think of it, in order to do any real cooling the exhaust fan power would have to strong enough to suck me out! LOL!

Thanks, you guys are the best!

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Often I use mine in reverse when it's cool at night the wind chill effect and the cool air cool it down pretty fast.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:22 AM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Yes, your expecting too much depending on the conditions. The fan only moves what is outside, inside. And the initial massive heat buildup inside, to the outside… It does however do that very well. The question is, is it any better outside???

On those nasty very hot & humid “days”, dehumidification is the need. Either a stand alone dehumidifier or an AC unit. If you where out west in say AZ, Phoenix area etc, in that high heat, low humidity, swamp coolers (sprays mist of water into a fan) on the roof of the houses helps. They get the evaporative cooling effect. However they are bone dry, massive high heat. Opposite problem of us east coasters with high heat and high humidity.

If you have ever had a “whole house” fan, the kind that draws air from the living area of the house and then exhausts it out through the attic, that type of action is what the Turbo Maxx or any of the RV power fans , Fantastic etc, do. They help get the hot heat inside the camper out, and then bring in air from the outside that is “ideally” cooler.

We use to be in an older farm house with no AC in upper NY. The last week of July/1st week of August was always brutal. 95 to sometimes over 100F during the day and the humidity was on overload…. I finally installed a whole house fan, about a 3 foot blade tip diameter fan and come after supper or better about 8:00/9:00PM, turn on the fan. The 1st thing it would do is exhaust the massive heat built up in the attic, then it would draw in cooler air from the down stairs windows (2 story home) and it was bearable.

Our Turbo Maxx falls into the same category. When we go boondocking this is how we survive those again hot summer nights. If folks are comparing those hot nights to not having a fan, then yes it a very large improvement. During the day, there may be a slight improvement but again depending on what is outside, may not feel a whole lot better.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, maxxair turbo/maxx