Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #1

SUN #685
WOLFGAR
Marker Lights

Hello

I have received a very old, 20 or 21 year old Sunline, Very tiny, VERY NICE! Amazingly enough, someone actualy has a pictuer of one on the net here ...
http://www.sunlineclub.com/coppermin...cat=0&pos=-146

Mine is very similar to that one.

Any how. The tail lights were a mess and not working, so i went out and got my self a new set ... not the same, but they do now work. My problem now is the marker lights. The side marker lights have 4 wires each, while the tail light set i installed says they should only have one!

I have no idea where or how to wire in the rear top marker lights either. Can any one advice ?

Also does anyone know where i can get one new rim and 2 new tires ?

Any information You can give me about the marker lights, or anything else about this camper would be a great help.

ThankYou in advance for your time and help in this matter.

WOLFGAR
drizzt@nyct.net

Old 08-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #2

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
Re: Marker Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFGAR
Any how. The tail lights were a mess and not working, so i went out and got my self a new set ... not the same, but they do now work. My problem now is the marker lights. The side marker lights have 4 wires each, while the tail light set i installed says they should only have one!

I have no idea where or how to wire in the rear top marker lights either. Can any one advice ?

Also does anyone know where i can get one new rim and 2 new tires ?
The 4 wires you're seeing for the marker lights are most likely 2 green(+) and 2 white(-)

They wired the markers in a series from different splits. One green/white pair supplies the + and - to the light and the other green/white carries the electric to the next marker light. When you pop off a marker that only has two wires, one green/white pair, that's the end of the run. If you're installing brand new marker lights the + is probably black and the ground is probably white. No matter what color the new lights wires are, the green goes to the bulb mount assembly and the white goes to the wire that is tacked to the light base somewhere. In the end you'll have two splices with three wires into each splice... example 2 greens and a black spliced and 3 whites spliced.

When you're resplicing them be sure to cut a little off the original wire end and unshield the lead so that you're dealing with decent wiring. The splice braid on the end of the original splice is probably corroded and tarnished. In doing that you should have good continuity from run to run unless the wires have been compromised within the run somehow... mice sometimes chew them partially in an unknown spot or a friction point that has rubbed through the shielding is also a cause to a continuity loss.

When you're reattaching the light bases and lenses, make sure you do a good job sealing everything so that water can't find the hole where the wires exit the siding.

As far as the tires, you should be able to see what size they are by the print on the outside wall of the tire near where the rubber meets the rim... example 205-65-14... 205mm tire diameter, 65mm tire width and 14 inch rim diameter. With getting a new wheel(rim) you'll need to note the lug pattern and lug circumference to get a match.
This site should give you somewhat of an idea about sizing your tires and wheels(rims) to get a safe replacement.

http://www.easternmarine.com/em_stor...FQOjFQodY3KbfQ

If you're not absolutely sure, jack it up and take the wheels with you to a trailer tire store and get a professional opinion on replacement. With an older camper, especially if you're planning on towing it a lot, you may very well want to take it somewhere to have the bearings replaced and repacked and the brakes/drums inspected. Most of the time the reason people are parting with these is the fact that they've been setting for a long time unused, an invitation for unseen problems to develope and surface for the new owner who actually uses the camper.

Hope that helps.

Take care,
Jason

https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/Lodeline.jpg
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:37 PM   #3

SUN #685
WOLFGAR
Thank You

Jason;

Thank You for your reply. I am reading it after working a 15 hour shift, so im not understanding it very well atm, but I will print it out and read it again in the morning when my Brain decides it is able to work with me

I have also checked out the web page you gave me on the tires, and have book marked it. For the prices they want, I will prob buy 2 new rims with tires already attached, and keep the old crappy ones i have for spares. The old ones are not much, but certainly better than nothing in a pinch.

Thank You Sir, Again, for your time, and your expert advice. I am in your debt.

WOLFGAR
Old 08-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #4

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
Re: Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFGAR
Thank You for your reply. I am reading it after working a 15 hour shift, so im not understanding it very well atm, but I will print it out and read it again in the morning when my Brain decides it is able to work with me

I have also checked out the web page you gave me on the tires, and have book marked it. For the prices they want, I will prob buy 2 new rims with tires already attached, and keep the old crappy ones i have for spares. The old ones are not much, but certainly better than nothing in a pinch.

Thank You Sir, Again, for your time, and your expert advice. I am in your debt.

WOLFGAR
Expert ... I wish, but thanks very much for the compliment. Sorry it was vague. Here's a picture of how I'd wire a marker light.

The connector is a Weatherproof Heat Shrink Butt Connector available at Walmart in the automotive stereo/wiring section. The blue is for 14-16gauge wiring since it needs to fit two wires on one end for many of the marker lights. You'll need a crimper and splicer tool. The pic provided is my crimper/splicer, just understand I have to disconnect the spring to use mine on the final crimp to get the tool out of the wire run.(stupid design!... and of course I bought one) I'd give each wire end that goes into the connector with some dielectric grease for protection before inserting them into the connector for crimping. Once you're done with the wire crimps use a lighter to go back over the connector, it will shrink down onto the wiring making it weather proof for a long long time. Be careful not to overheat the connector as your applying flame and don't burn the shielding on your wires... it takes a little practice.

Hope that's a little better.

As far as the tires/rims, the page I relayed to you was just the 1st I plugged off a quick google search. You may find better prices on ebay or a google search once you've narrowed down the exact specs as to what you're seeking to replace.

Take care,
Jason
https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/Lodeline.jpg
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote