Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-08-2008, 06:10 AM   #1

SUN #187
precorguy
Lifted and nice!

this is kind of an update on what has been happening lately --- i just got the trailer back from having the axles flipped and hence the trailer lifted.

firstly, i would like to thank Mobilife in Kitchener ON for doing such a great job.

secondly, it looks a little weird -- 5-6" of lift in it from before - so quite pleased with the results --- should have changed out the steps but didn't do it as i wanted to see what it would be like before deciding on it --- now the first step is a huge step -- but good to keep those joints moving

i am thinking of building a small step to put below the front step to see how that handles the transition.

i don't know about others, but found that the trailer towed a wee bit better lifted than it did before --- doesn't lean into transports as much as it did before - i suspect that is because the trailer has move air space under it.

so, if you are curious if lifting the trailer would be a good thing - my answer (so far) is yes!

i will take a few pics and post them in the next couple of weeks of the change.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:42 PM   #2

SUN #382
Mooney
I also found our coach tows better with the lift than before.

I resolved the step issue by making a box out of 2" x 6" boards, topped with a peice of plywood.

A couple of liberated milk crates (being in provisions, it was easy to get permission from the milk guy to have them ) fit right into the box, so if we need MORE of a "mid-step" we can put some weight into the crates then put the step over the top of them.

When we pack up, the wheel chocks and extra jack-pads fit right into the box, along with our polarity tester and various other things.

A word of note, the coach may wiggle a little more than before due to the jacks being further extended than before, we use stacked pieces of 2 x 6 under each jack to make them less flexy. It worked REALLY well in OH (pics. still pending from Kelly's camera) where I got our coach squatted down and jacked so perfect that it was as sturdy as an actual house. NO MOTION.

Congratualtions on a successful (and wise) decision!

Greg

'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:25 PM   #3

SUN #43
Trailblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
precorguy, Thanks for the information on the axle flip. My trailer is at Mobilife right now having the same axle flip done. They mention to me about the possibility of the bushing being worn and I told them that if they encounter that just to change them out at the same time. I will post back at how the rig tows when I get it back. I am looking forward to having a trailer that does not drag anymore. Before taking the trailer in for the axle flip I noticed that my drag bars are almost completely worn through.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
When I picked Sunny up, I didn't get to tow very far, but, I thought to myself "hey, I thik he's towing better". But, I thought oh, it must be my imagination, BUT, maybe not, since hearing these other "tows better" opinions.

And, I love NOT dragging getting into my own yard.

Another benefit: can get under trailer easier for checking/fixing things.

I will be glad when I get to use Sunny and tow a distance to see the real "towing experience"

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #5

SUN #504
dan&deb
Would love to get the axel flip anyone know where I can get it done in western PA
Old 10-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #6

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan&deb
Would love to get the axel flip anyone know where I can get it done in western PA
Any reputable trailer dealer or RV dealer should be able to perform the flip. For the Dexter axles, it is a simple mechanical change plus some arc welding. The kits run about $50 per axle plus the labor to install them.

The rubber ride axles can't be flipped, but any good welding shop can install a 2", 3", or 4" riser between the frame and axle assembly. Kitty just had that done recently and it is well documented by her. Look back in the discussion threads for it.

You may find better pricing at a dealer who specializes in utility trailers instead of RV's. All the parts and assemblies are pretty much identical in utility trailers and TT's, but for some strange reason, the trailer dealers seem to price everything much more reasonably.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #7

SUN #408
partimcmpr
I have been resisting the urge to do the lift. However I did drag going into a gas station this past weekend. I am considering having it done during the winter if I get a chance and a few spare dollars.

Thanks to those of you who have posted updates on the change.

Later,
ParTimCmpr
2006 Sunline T2553 Classic
https://dbmcbride.com/stttv.gif
partimcmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:36 AM   #8

SUN #187
precorguy
i with kitty --- i was under the trailer the other day --- there is so much space now - my stomach getting get me stuck!

as this is now done - i am going to enclose the underside to heat up the tanks a bit -- just need a few dry and warmish days --- its been very cool and rainy here lately - ugh!

i hope to post a pic of the lift as soon as i have the film (yes i said film) developed - i know old school eh!

for those that lifted their unit --- did you change the single step to a double - we have not - have been using a folding stool - but i don't see that as practical in the long run.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:10 AM   #9

SUN #128
Tweety
We were using a homemade wooden step, but it was big and hard to store. We bought this one from Camping World and it's great!

https://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...ing-step/38293

It's nice and light weight, sturdy, has 2 height settings, and is aluminum so will never rust. The highest setting works perfectly with the axle filp. We waited for it to go on sale. It's nice but not $80 nice! We haven't had any problems with the rubber feet like the reviewer mentions, but we've always had it sitting on our outdoor rug.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #10

SUN #520
kathyh
We bought this step on sale at Camping World after having our trailer lifted. It is very sturdy and has 2 heights but it does not weigh only 8 lbs as listed - more like 18.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...orm-step/35639

Dan&Deb - We had our trailer flipped at R. Kennedy Davis & Sons in Oakdale in W. PA. They said they had done lots of flips and we were pleased. I think the price was about $250 (will check with DH tomorrow).

KathyH

2007 Sunline T2499 4" lift w/03
2011 Chevy Avalanche
1988 Sunline 1850 Satellite
Rob and Kathy H
kathyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #11

SUN #504
dan&deb
Thanks Kathy, we live near Monroeville so Oakdale won't be very difficult.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #12

SUN #520
kathyh
Deb,

Yes it was $250. They also did the recall on our Dometic refrigerator.

R. Kennedy Davis & Sons
7905 Steubenville Pike
Imperial, PA 15126
Toll Free: (866) 585-1702

KathyH

2007 Sunline T2499 4" lift w/03
2011 Chevy Avalanche
1988 Sunline 1850 Satellite
Rob and Kathy H
kathyh is offline   Reply With Quote