Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-31-2008, 01:00 PM   #1

SUN #115
emam
Larger Tires on the 15" Rims

I know the tire issue has been brought up time and again, and I had stated awhile back that I was thinking about upgrading to 16" rims to be able to move up to a higher rated tire.

After camping with a buddy who has a toy hauler, I was looking at his wheel/tire combo and noticed that he had 15" rims/tires that were 'E' Rated.

Why hadnt I thought of this before???

By moving up to a 225/75 R15 over the stock 205/75 R15, you're able to go up to 'D' or even 'E' rated tires. These tires fit on the stock 8" rim fine, and I was able to go from a 'C' rated, 4 ply tire that had a 1820lb load carrying capacity to a 'E' rated, 10 ply tire that has a whopping 2830lb load carrying capacity.

Now I'm not moving up to these tires to try and up my carrying capacity, but with as much backroad driving as Cindy and I do, I just thought if I was going to replace the tires anyways, then why not have a stronger, more durable tire to ride on?

Just thought I'd pass along this info for anyone who might be replacing their tires. You might want to go with the 225/75 R15 and move up to the 'E' Rated, 10 ply tire

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:37 PM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Larger Tires on the 15" Rims

Hi Pat,

Good idea. Did you change out your tires?
What brand of tires did you go with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emam
... with as much backroad driving as Cindy and I do, ...
Ok - how much of that backgroad driving does Cindy really do!?!?!? :P

We're going to miss you guys at this years Eastern M&G .

Glade to hear from you, it's been awhile.
Love your pictures of Moon Lake - thanks for sharing them.
Hope your adventures continue to be safe and fun.
Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:14 PM   #3

SUN #115
emam
Hey Tom, you're right Cindy does NO back road driving, although in that picture of the truck and Sunline going down that steep incline, she was behind the wheel so I could take the picture.

I wish I could have had an upclose shot of her face behind the wheel as the truck skidded down the sandy hill :P

We're gonna miss you guys this year at the m&g! I really wanted to make it, but we'll have to wait till next year when we're on that side of the country.

One thing about the tires. While we were at the tire shop, the guy got down one set of 'D' rated tires, and one set of 'E' rated tires, and we were both amazed that the 'E' tires were about an inch or two taller than both the 'C' and 'D' tires.

Looking back, I should have snapped a picture. I guess the 10ply tire adds quite a bit in the circumfrence of the tire. Not that I mind, we have the clearance in the wheel wells and I'd rather get more clearance anyway.

Boy was it cool to see him let the jack down and not have the sidewalls of the tires even so much as bulge out one bit. I hate seeing the flimsy sidewalls of the 'C' rated tires, especially when we're on a rocky road or some area where I'm worried about sidewall blowouts.

I think the tires are Road Master (No Name) made in Indonesia. Nnot that I'm worried about where they're made. My only tire I had on the coach that was made in the USA had a total failure while we were coming out of Zion a few weeks back!

This was a Carlylse (SP?) and was the only one made in the USA of the 5 205/75 R15 tires we had. Actually, with all the fuss about the Mission tires, I still have two of the original Mission tires on one side, and two of the new 225/75 R15 Road Master tires on the other. The tire shop where we were only had two of the Road Masters, so I had him put them both on one side, and kept the two Missions on the other side.

I know, we're total rednecks when it comes to mix and matching tires, but what to do when you're only in these small towns? I was actually amazed to find a tire shop in the size of town we were passing through, so two new tires is better than sitting on the side of the road with two flats

Take care, and have fun at the meet & greet! We'll miss everyone!

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
Old 05-31-2008, 04:15 PM   #4

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by emam
you're right Cindy does NO back road driving, although
If your like us, I drive and Mary nagavates
(no that isn't a typo )

Are the tires LT or ST tires?
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #5

SUN #44
SanDimasJoe
larger tires on the 15" rim

EMAM,
Seeing as how the diameter of the 227/75x15 tires is larger than the 205/75x15 tires, how much clearance do you have between the front and rear tires. This has been my concern since my mission tires need to be replaced. I want to put at least an 8 ply rating tire on the TT. This just might be my solution.

Joe
SanDimasJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #6

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
Emam... did I read correct and you're running 2-225s on one side and 2-205s on the other?

I just told my cousin about your tire the other day while we were chatting. His father, my uncle, works at Carlisle Tire and Wheel.(he actually runs the print shop there but can get tires at cost... only snag is he can only get so many every year) He asked his father to put in an order for 5 tires for his boat trailer and was informed he'd have to wait for a bit as the tires were due in from China. He's supposed to get the tires tomorrow and is going to call me and let me know if they're stamped 'Made in America'... wouldn't surprise me.

Take care,
Jason
Old 06-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #7

SUN #19
Sunline1
eman

I'm a little confused, please clarify.

Are you useing the stock "rims" that came with your sunline with the 205 75R 15 LRC tires. You indicated I believe "8" in Rims, My (2002),model 2975 sunline came with 205 75R 15 LRC tires and the rims are like 5 or 5 1/2 inches wide. i was thinking of going with the 225 75R 15 tires as you, but I not sure if my rims are wide enough. I thought I saw somewhere on the computer a chart indicating reccommended rim size as 6 in min, I believe for the 225 tires. Any info appreciated. Thank you Sunline1

2002 Sunline model T-2975 (large Bath)
Sunline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #8

SUN #597
henryj
Tire charts

This is a tire size chart from Carlisle that should answer some of the questions here until emam is able to get back on again with first hand experience.

http://www.carlisletire.com/products...ail/index.html

Note that they have a 205/75R15 LRD that would fit the recommended 5" rim on most Sunlines and provide at least some of the benefits that emam was talking about.

This is another size chart from TireRack that lists rim size ranges.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...irePageLocQty=

The OEM rim width is minimal even for the OEM 205 tires.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:02 AM   #9

SUN #19
Sunline1
henryj

Thats kinda what I was getting at about the rim size. I forget but my stock rims are either 5 o 5.5 in, and I got the 205 75R 15 LRC with my Sunline from the factory.

Reviewing the Carlisle tire chart, looks like if One wanted to buy the carlisle tires he could get the 205 75R 15 LRD, which has the higher wt. 2150lbs same as the 225 75R 15 LRC, and keep the same Rims, if the stock rims are suitable for the WT. as well as Pressure (65psi), for the LRD 205's. Do you or anyone happen to know if the stock rims are suitable for both the 65 psi as well as 2150 lbs ? I also wunder if I were to purchase the 205 75R 15 "LRD", tire would my spare 205"S "LRC", work with the others ? Or would i have to buy 5 tires. Thanks Sunline1

Thanks for the info you have already supplied.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #10

SUN #597
henryj
Bigger Tires

Sunline1

The OEM tire and wheel size should be on the front left corner sticker of your trailer.

The load capacity of the stock rims is almost certainly the same 1820 lb. that the 205/75R15 tires are. In upgrading tires, the rim capacity doesn't matter because you can't carry more load on the axles anyway nor go over GVWR regardless of what the tires are inflated to.

I don't know what pressure the rims are rated at, but given they are rated for the tires max load they are probably only rated at the tire's max psi as well. I have heard the psi is sometimes stamped on the wheel, but it is not on the face and I don't have one off to look at the back or possibly even the inside. In any case I find it hard to believe that a heavy steel wheel like that wouldn't take 65 psi.

I did some more reading on Carlisle's website--very interesting--and despite publishing a load/inflation table, they say to always run ST tires at max psi.

The top menu bar of Carlisle's home page has a Resources link. Download the 4 pdf articles under that link for lots of information.

http://www.carlisletire.com/

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #11

SUN #19
Sunline1
henryj

I found the rim info on the left front as you indicated, size 15 x 5. I agree with you about the pressure 65 lbs shouldn't be a problem. i checked the spare tire rim, couldn't seam to find any info about pressue. i read posts about 80 psi tires that might be a problem, I wouldn't worry about the 65 psi. As far as the load capacity of the rim, they would be carry the same load (same trailer), with the 8 ply as with the 6 plys. Thanks again for your input. Sunline1

Old 06-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #12

SUN #115
emam
Sorry guys, I posted that and then climbed up and over the Sierra's into Yosemite where a signal is impossible.

My rim is stamped on the rim 15x5, so I stand corrected with the 8" rim info.....sorry I asked the tire guy about it, he walked out looked at the rim, then came back and said "Yeah, that 225/75 R15 tire will fit on that rim no problem"

I have plenty of clearance between the tires and with the lift kit, I have tons of clearance in the wheel well

Here is a picture of the tires and the clearance issues. You can see there really is still plenty of room

I wouldnt be surprised that the Carlyle is made in China but stamped Made in USA. The name of the tire was USA Tread or something like that? I talked with a friend who used to live in Guam, and he said because it is a USA Owned territory, they can say MADE IN THE USA on things made there.

In all reality it is only a short boat ride from China and all the labor is sweatshop labor being boated over from China. He would tell me crazy stuff about the island, but everything that left there still was MADE in the Good ol' USofA

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
Old 06-12-2008, 06:16 AM   #13

SUN #19
Sunline1
eman

Looks like you have pleanty of clearance for your tires. I'm wondering if I were to go with the 225's on my standard rims, if I would have enough clearance as well, for my 2975 model with no lift kit. I sure have pleanty of clearance with the 205's.

By the way, what really is the purpose/reason for putting a lift kit on your trailer, could you please explain ? Thanks Sunline1
Old 06-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #14

SUN #115
emam
THe lift kit keeps our back end from scraping on the approaches and departures. i.e. pulling into or out of steep driveways or not tearing anything off the bottom of the camper while driving down rough roads.

A stock height Camper will usually drag ont he ground on any steep driveway, or even on some bad roads. Quetse just posted a comment while driving the backroads in Virginia I thinkit was, their camper was dragging many times just on the normal HWY because of how steep and tight the turns were int he mountains.

We never try to take HWY's and always try to find two lane backroads to travel on. We think we find more unique places this way, and see much more of the country. Most of these roads are pretty rough and a low riding camper would leave us in the repair shop all too often.

To get to a town in Baja Mexico, we had to travel down roads like this for some 50 miles! A low clearance camper would have been dead on the side of the road in the first few miles

LIKE THIS!

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
Old 06-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #15

SUN #19
Sunline1
eman

I get it. now that you mention it, about the dragging the corner/bottom. On a trip down south for the winter, I drug the left back corner pretty hard on the way out of a gas station. End result, it broke the drain pipe on the corner shower in that same back corner of the camper. i also have run into trouble with the height of the campground sewer drain, being higher than my sewer outlet, a lift kit would help that as well. how many inches does one gain with the lift kit ?? Sunline1
Old 06-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #16

SUN #115
emam
I you answered your own question..LOL

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com