Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #61

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The "V's" are on the round wheel and the plate above it that does not turn. There are two posts on the roof that the antenna arms nest in when the "Vs" are lined up other wise it will move around on the roof or hang out over the edge of the camper.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #62

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Just got back from Austin and Oh happy day! Found the arrows which actually are fairly large but apparently not for us vertically challenged

Thanks all!!

Now on to the GFI plug and...

My potty smells stinky, not that kind of stinky but sorta this weird almost sour odor?

I did try the GEO method to try an clean the tank monitors to be accurate but did not work.

I bought this Thetford Aqua Cleaner to clean the potty, shower, sinks etc and it smells like the same smell. I wonder if that could be it since I never had a problem before?

Actually I was wondering if it was too old cause when I use it there are very small clumps of blue no matter how hard I shake the bottle. And when I Googled it the label is not the same as the bottle I have. Probably sat on the shelf a long time. However, I won't use it anymore and hopefully that was the source

I read that Scrubbing Bubbles can be used as its not abrasive

What do others use?

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #63

SUN #1546
Going to be here until 1st week in January so thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtstanton View Post
I got mine mail order from PPL Motorhome, and it didn't seem like it took very long. I see that Walmart will even get it for you - Site-to-Store. $118 from them and no shipping (Site-to-Store). That may be an option for you if you're going to be in one place for a few days.

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 11-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #64

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by apackoftwo View Post
Just got back from Austin and Oh happy day! Found the arrows which actually are fairly large but apparently not for us vertically challenged

Thanks all!!
Those arrows can be sneaky.... Was that the problem?

Not trying to talk you out of the Jack antenna, when we added the Wingman add on to our Winegard it really helped the reception. Now I just have to get a single finder to help narrow down the right direction to point it "before" starting the auto tune process.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #65

SUN #1546
Yup!

Well it looks like a pretty simple installation

Do you mean a something like this for an extra signal finder?

They do have a Jack retro fit for the Winegard too

I guess my number one reason for seriously thinking of the Jack is that you do not have to crank it down so just one less thing to go wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Those arrows can be sneaky.... Was that the problem?

Not trying to talk you out of the Jack antenna, when we added the Wingman add on to our Winegard it really helped the reception. Now I just have to get a single finder to help narrow down the right direction to point it "before" starting the auto tune process.

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 11-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #66

SUN #1546
Question

This looks interesting too...Know anyone who has used this Winegard Rayzar Air?

The retro fit is $50 (or less on other sites)

According to Winegard's site "The Rayzar Air's multi-directional reception pattern gives it more coverage than the Sensar, which will lead to less tuning required to receive programming. It is also optimized for UHF reception, which a majority of US over-the-air stations are broadcast on.

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 12-01-2014, 05:19 AM   #67

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad the arrows lined up!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:23 AM   #68

SUN #2097
"I guess my number one reason for seriously thinking of the Jack is that you do not have to crank it down so just one less thing to go wrong"

Yes except the removal of the old system and the installation of the new one guess I'm saying you don't have much to gain by replacing it other than a minute or two operating it.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:48 AM   #69

SUN #2097
Quote:

According to Winegard's site "The Rayzar Air's multi-directional reception pattern gives it more coverage than the Sensar, which will lead to less tuning required to receive programming. It is also optimized for UHF reception, which a majority of US over-the-air stations are broadcast on.
From what I have read if your old one works you'll not gain much by replacing it with the new one. If the old one is toes up it might be an option may be a little easier to raze and lower.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #70

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

I don't have the Rayzar Air, however; I do have the Mohu leaf 50.

I'm using it in the '83 T-1550 and have used it in the house also. It is rather versatile.

I just finished doing the 19" tv install in the T-1550 and decided to use the leaf as I don't have a roof mounted antenna on this unit.

I have a little portable 7" tv/dvd combo that I have used it with also. The portable came with a little non amplified antenna that kinda works at home but very limited.

I haven't had a chance to use the leaf away from the home front other then my work. I was surprised I got some stations from there. It is very hilly and parts of that area is dead to any over the air reception. I loaned it to a employee of mine to try at his house. He only lives 4 miles further away from work, but he wasn't able to receive any stations.

In the trailer, I just coiled up most of the slack coax cable (it is 16' long) and flopped it in the over head bunk near the tv. The T-1550 is totally encased in aluminum, including the roof. This may have some impact on the reception.

I figure in nice weather and camping, I would just toss it up onto the roof and feed it into the trailer cable jack. That is yet to be tested (next spring) to see if I benefit from doing so.

It is easy enough to use a shorter or longer coax cable if you have one or need to have one purchased or made up.

It comes with a usb to ac adapter if your tv doesn't have a usb port or won't power a usb devise.

I hope this is of some help to you.

http://store.gomohu.com/the-leaf-ult...v-antenna.html

BTW. I purchased mine from Walmart.
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #71

SUN #2097
Pretty much all of the small camper antennas have amps in the head. The switch inside turns on the amp with out it it is unlikely you would get a picture even if your 5 miles away. A house type antenna all though it could benefit from an amp has enough gain it will work with out one.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #72

SUN #5039
I was driving home and it dawned on me that the Rayzar Air was actually the outside antenna for the trailer. I was kinda comparing the other Winegard indoor antenna to the leaf.

If you just want to do the retro in the link you posted then you have the amplifier in the trailer already at the dc jack. You (may) still need to lift the antenna but not aim it.

Tim got to this before I got home. My experience for the most part so far seems I have needed the amp. with the leaf to get good picture reception. I haven't done a real thorough set of testing to prove that.
P3 break control
Old 12-02-2014, 06:10 AM   #73

SUN #2097
The TV jack in the trailer is the power supply it injects 12 volts DC to the antenna amp in the head through the coax. The Rayzar has an amp in it,it is more omni directional making it a good bit easier to find a signal but from what I have read it's not really a huge improvement over the old style as far as a picture is concerned. Yes if you add an amp to a house type antenna it will help as long as you don't all ready have strong signals. If you are in an area with strong signals an amp may make it worse.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:49 AM   #74

SUN #5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
The TV jack in the trailer is the power supply it injects 12 volts DC to the antenna amp in the head through the coax. The Rayzar has an amp in it,it is more omni directional making it a good bit easier to find a signal but from what I have read it's not really a huge improvement over the old style as far as a picture is concerned. Yes if you add an amp to a house type antenna it will help as long as you don't all ready have strong signals. If you are in an area with strong signals an amp may make it worse.
Agreed! Thanks Tim.
P3 break control
Old 12-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #75

SUN #4364
dtstanton is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
They do have a Jack retro fit for the Winegard too

I guess my number one reason for seriously thinking of the Jack is that you do not have to crank it down so just one less thing to go wrong
A friend of mine (my boss and best man at our wedding ) did the Winegard/Jack retrofit a while back and loved it. (He has since traded TTs.) Unfortunately, you still have to do the crank-up/crank-down thing with it.

TT: 1988 Sunline T-1350
TV: 2003 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3L
dtstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #76

SUN #1546
I have been doing some research on the whole thing and from what I have read more people like this:

Winegard RVW-205 Sensar IV White Antenna Replacement Head

I have read complains about the Jack being made cheaply or failing however I know that has not been your experience and you love it and that's great.

But this would be a fairly simple retro fit..although I have to figure out how to get to the roof since I do not have a ladder tall enough

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 12-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #77

SUN #2097
Is there any reason to believe it does not work? I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it. Here is what you need to do before you replace the head and still not have it work the same thing could happen to a jack replacement. You can raze the antenna part way and turn it so it points out over the roof then lower it. Back your pickup up to the trailer stand in the bed and deal with the antenna you will need a volt meter or a friend with one. Remove the coax connection from the antenna turn on the switch inside and check the voltage between the small wire in the center of the connection and the outer metal part if is there is 12 volts or better the switch assembly is working if not that needs to be fixed first or no replacement antenna will work. Chances are good that if you have no picture the mast head is bad that usually is the case but if there is no 12 volts it will not work and neither will the replacement. The replacement is simply and you should be able to do it from the bed of your pickup.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #78

SUN #4364
dtstanton is an unknown quantity at this point
It could be that some people just don't want to remove/replace the whole crank-up assembly with the whole Jack. Can't blame them. Much quicker and simpler to just replace the head. My friend/boss/best man said it was a painless operation. It was not an issue for me because we didn't have an antenna to begin with.

TT: 1988 Sunline T-1350
TV: 2003 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3L
dtstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #79

SUN #1546
My antenna does work.

And I usually subscribe to the "if it isn't broke don't fix it" philosophy.

However, I started considering upgrading to something that can pull in more channels when I thought mine was broke and reading this thread.

Yup did think of I though using my truck, thanks.

Then I found this one...
LAVA HD8008 Omni-Directional Amplified Outdoor HDTV Antenna with 35% More Gain

Apparently there a whole bunch of people tired of paying high cable fees and have gone to using air antennas at their home. This one can be used for an RV. It is more than I want to pay right now but I love to know someone who is using this one and if it lives up to its hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
Is there any reason to believe it does not work? I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it. Here is what you need to do before you replace the head and still not have it work the same thing could happen to a jack replacement. You can raze the antenna part way and turn it so it points out over the roof then lower it. Back your pickup up to the trailer stand in the bed and deal with the antenna you will need a volt meter or a friend with one. Remove the coax connection from the antenna turn on the switch inside and check the voltage between the small wire in the center of the connection and the outer metal part if is there is 12 volts or better the switch assembly is working if not that needs to be fixed first or no replacement antenna will work. Chances are good that if you have no picture the mast head is bad that usually is the case but if there is no 12 volts it will not work and neither will the replacement. The replacement is simply and you should be able to do it from the bed of your pickup.

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 12-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #80

SUN #2097
I guess I would question 35% more gain than what? It really won't make much difference what you put on an RV roof they all are going to come out pretty much the same so I guess I'm saying why beat your self up if the old one works it's fairly doubtful you will improve on what you got. Very high gain quality fringe antennas will improve your reception but they won't fit on an RV roof and will cost well over $150.