Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #41

SUN #4364
dtstanton is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryJ View Post
I know they're a decent antenna but still not sure of their distance capabilities.
Jerry,

I can tell you how mine does. The distance will depend on various conditions such as terrain, of course. I'll preface these comments by saying that this is a new installation, and I have nothing to compare it to. It was not a replacement for any other kind of antenna, and I have no other experience with TT or RV antennas.

That said, ...

From the house in Amarillo, we get 24 or 25 stations. Doesn't matter a whole lot where it's pointed. Only 8-15 mile distances.

From the storage facility, from 20' or 25' inside a steel shield but the open garage door facing South, we still get 21 or 22 stations - 15-20 miles away. Those stations are to the North. The FCC site says 6 stations using a 30' mast.

We camped in Caprock Canyons State Park near Quitaque, TX and got some 11-14 digital stations - all Amarillo area stations. It's about 70 or 80 miles as the crow flies. The FCC says we might get 1 from Lubbock - if we're lucky. (We didn't turn it towards Lubbock.)

When in Palo Duro Canyon, we again get a whole pocket full of digital stations. (Ok, around 17.) They are around 25-30 miles away as the crow flies, but that's from down in a 600'+ hole. The FCC site says we might get 5 stations down there with a 30' mast.

When at Wolf Creek Park in Ochiltree County, TX, we didn't get anything. Nothing registered on the signal finder. The FCC site says that we might get one if we're lucky - a PBS station about 70 miles away.

All in all, I agree that it's an investment you can't go wrong with. I am impressed with it.

-Dale

TT: 1988 Sunline T-1350
TV: 2003 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3L
dtstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #42

SUN #4364
dtstanton is an unknown quantity at this point
Those brackets might have been for a TV antenna. There are some that mount on the outside of the shell like that. I think Winegard makes the Hideaway (?) that mounts on the outside wall of the TT. Could even be a do-it-yourself installation.

TT: 1988 Sunline T-1350
TV: 2003 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3L
dtstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:04 AM   #43

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I watch that video last week when I was surfing. I also looked on line to several places that sell them. I know they're a decent antenna but still not sure of their distance capabilities. I heard, too, where they constantly said it uses AC wall plug. That's the actual power source. But often times that AC input has an output of another voltage in DC. More often than not it's 12VDC, but I have seen a few real odd ball voltages.
The A/C unit is for home use the antenna it's self works on 12 volts D/C
Old 06-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #44

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
As you folks can see I have two brackets on the side of my trailer left of the awning up-rights. Could be wrong but this looks like someone's after thought as opposed to a proper FACTORY install.

My problem is, while I'm trying to do a wee bit of a restoration, I don't want to add any new holes and don't want to remove items from existing holes, UNLESS it's to improve brackets in the same holes..
I like the idea of that Jack antenna but no new holes in the roof. Hence if it has a provision for a mast I might go that route onto the existing brackets. FYI our camping destinations are typically 125 to 175 miles from home. Yup, camping means no TV, but I do like my news and the weather channel and they're great for those rainy days. (Isn't that right my beautiful wife?).

I read a few websites where the 4 bay to 8 bay bowtie is superior to the Yagis I don't know how true that is,
I was bored last Friday so I built a single bay bow tie UHF. I used a cheap walmart coat hanger frame. This was a coat hanger designed to hang pants but as soon as I saw the rungs it gave me the idea. I ALSO brought out a deep cycle battery I had and hooked up one of those 75 watts AC inverters used for plugging into your cigarette lighter. TV powered up great.

With my single bay bowtie and 3 feet off the ground I pulled 10 stations east to west and rescanned for 12 stations north to south. Mind you with a bird flight path, I'm 30 to 40 miles from Toronto so it wouldn't take much. So, what would an 8 bay bowtie do at 25 feet?

My bottom line is: As well as they work, I don't want a home made for the trailer, I just don't want that red neck appearance

Any suggestions?
  • mast mountable
  • light weight
  • decent gain
  • not expensive
My question is where would you store it? They are not small. I have one for home use they work quite well and have a much wider patter than a Yagi meaning they are lass fussy about aiming. Antenna claims are all based on an imaginary antenna that has no gain. It is called an isotropic antenna that is why you see the figures rated as dbi so all others has some gain and that is how they are rated as XX dbi gain. It is a guide line and has some validly but real life has a big effect on the gain ratings. The testing is done on an antenna range not in some ones back yard. The bow tie antennas have a large capture area that is one reason they work well and have good dbi ratings. Most mobile TV antennas have receive amps that add gain with broad band amplifiers and with out them they are about worthless.