Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-01-2014, 06:19 AM   #21

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Digital stations do that if the signal is weak it either works or it does not. The old analog stations would fad or flutter but you would still have a poor picture. The amp works best at the antenna usually it has a power supply that plugs in inside and it gets it's power through the antenna coax.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:13 AM   #22

SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
Digital stations do that if the signal is weak it either works or it does not. The old analog stations would fad or flutter but you would still have a poor picture. The amp works best at the antenna usually it has a power supply that plugs in inside and it gets it's power through the antenna coax.
my digital stations seem to fluctuate. i can go through a whole show and there is not one problem. then other times, it will drop signal every couple minutes. seems like the weather and temp might have something to do with it.

i don't understand what you mentioned about the amp. yes, my old one plugged in at the antenna, and obviously w/the factoiry one in camper, i can't do that. is there no way to make the amp work from in here?

Old 03-02-2014, 06:15 AM   #23

SUN #2097
Yes weather conditions play a big part in reception of weaker stations I lose 3 at home with a big antenna some times. You are now using a bigger antenna correct? The camper one has an amp inside of it and the amp is powered by the little switch inside. I kind of got a little lost as to what you are using right now so if you can explain that to me there is a way to power your new amp from inside.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #24

SUN #4422
Quote:
Yes weather conditions play a big part in reception of weaker stations I lose 3 at home with a big antenna some times. You are now using a bigger antenna correct? The camper one has an amp inside of it and the amp is powered by the little switch inside. I kind of got a little lost as to what you are using right now so if you can explain that to me there is a way to power your new amp from inside.
mainah,
my current setup is an antenna (yes, bigger) attached to the structure next to my camper. the cable goes from the antenna to the tv inside the camper. i'd like to use the preamp in the camper, but it is not clear to me how the hook up goes...
Old 03-15-2014, 06:32 PM   #25

SUN #2097
OK if it is the original camper switch the amp is not inside the camper it is just a switch. the amp was inside of the antenna A mast mounted amp would be the way to go and they usually come with some type of plug in power supply.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #26

SUN #4422
Quote:
OK if it is the original camper switch the amp is not inside the camper it is just a switch. the amp was inside of the antenna A mast mounted amp would be the way to go and they usually come with some type of plug in power supply.
mainah, attached is a pic of the 'preamp' inside my camper. it is orginal as far as i can tell and it does look like the preamp that i purchased for external use which i've now returned. what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg preamp.jpg (60.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-20-2014, 05:35 AM   #27

SUN #2097
Well it's hard to tell it may be nothing more than the power supply for one. The amps generally are at the antenna the box you have there most likely it the part that injects power into the coax to make the amp work. If there is an amp inside they usually are distribution amps to make up for loss in multiple TV connections. It looks like a Radio Shack device maybe you could look up any numbers it might have on it. An amp inside is better than nothing but an amp at the antenna is best. Maybe this might help you-http://www.solidsignal.com/c/products.asp?tc=over-the-air-tv-antennas-supplies&d=over-the-air-tv-supplies&mc=03&utm_campaign=google_adwords_antenna _homepage&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc
Old 03-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #28

SUN #6056
jhorne05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Newest modification, progressive dynamics 9260 converter, wasn't to pleased with original wiring. To my time , 4 hours later all pretty. Electrical work can fail inspections due to sloppy work. Not sure that work work would have passed inspection on the sites I work at. But to be fair all properly connected.
Now the batteries are charging just fine. No worries now of the original unit failing and being left scrambling. As others have mentioned with out the remote pendant there is no noise like original.

Piece of mind feels good!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #29

SUN #6056
jhorne05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Next modification wil be a complete new rear bumper.
After hearing of bad welds, loose bolts, 3in square tube welded, reserve battery, 2 spare tire mounts with my no bolt cutter access to lock design I came up with several years back.
Main feature no lug wrench required to remove spare.
Should lighten tongue load a nice little bit, figure about 215 pounds on rear of tt.
Will try to get pictures of recent modifications including rear bumper & accessories .
Have Sunline day despite what ever your weather may be, for it never rains forever!
Old 04-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #30

SUN #4422
Quote:
Well it's hard to tell it may be nothing more than the power supply for one. The amps generally are at the antenna the box you have there most likely it the part that injects power into the coax to make the amp work. If there is an amp inside they usually are distribution amps to make up for loss in multiple TV connections. It looks like a Radio Shack device maybe you could look up any numbers it might have on it. An amp inside is better than nothing but an amp at the antenna is best. Maybe this might help you-http://www.solidsignal.com/c/products.asp?tc=over-the-air-tv-antennas-supplies&d=over-the-air-tv-supplies&mc=03&utm_campaign=google_adwords_antenna _homepage&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc
this is the amp that's in here, the archer amplifier 15-1108.
Archer Amplifier 15 1108 | eBay

is this one that will work inside connected directly to tv (or another setup..i dont' know how this one hooks up)? it has the same connections as the one i purchased before, but is insiide instead of at antenna. if so, do you have any directions how to hook up? only to tv?
Old 04-07-2014, 05:35 AM   #31

SUN #2097
OK it's an amp you'll need two antenna leads one goes to the outside antenna the other to the TV. It should be marked TV or out and the other antenna or in. The best thing you can do is keep your antenna leads as short as you can don't over buy if 25' will do don't use 50' the higher the frequency the greater the loss in cable. It is not as good as a mast (outside) amp but it's probably better than nothing.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:35 AM   #32

SUN #4422
ok. so i should disconnect the cable i have right now from the tv to the antenna and hook it up the way you described...

i figure it's worth a shot. the reception is pretty good, just can lose signal when it's cloudy out. maybe this will help during those times. we'll see. thanks mainah!
Old 06-25-2014, 11:32 PM   #33

SUN #4422
wanted to conclude this thread and say that using the pre amp inside the camper has worked very well for me. and i could still shorten the 2 wires i'm using which could make it even better. it helps with channels that were going in and out when the weather wasn't clear, which is often these days. that's been a big relief when i'm enjoying a show. i'm very happy with it and glad i returned the one i paid for.