Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-09-2007, 07:03 PM   #1

SUN #147
chriseck
How we Modified our solaris 276sr

New to the Sunline forum but not to camping.Modifications to our Solaris 276sr are tounge mount 5000w generator,relocate propane tanks foward to make room for generator,install metal heat shield between tanks and generator,extend generator exhaust towards ground and add extra muffler.Add viny propane tank cover as hard plastic orgional wouldnt fit in the close confines.Install extra lenghtl propane hose to allow relocation of tanks to the ground or in the pickup bed away from generator during extended run times. Fab up new battery holder box outside of frame.Add additional bumper supports to support bike rack carrier for two bikes and spare tire.Also installed a cabinet over the tiolet and shelves in all the closets.Install 3 Aeroflo vent covers.Want to get a electric tongue jack since generator added 100lbs.Switched to 20lbs propane tanks from the 30lbs to cut some of the added weight.Enough said.This is one fine quality built trailer.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #2

SUN #115
emam
Sounds like quite the hook up. Is there anyway you could post some pictures of this so I could get some ideas?

The wife and I are trying to figure out how to add some extra cabinets in the bathroom as there are only a few cabinets in the 2499. The mods on the tounge sound really cool, but in a 2499 the bedroom is up front, so that wouldnt be a good option. If our solar panels wont keep everything running, I was thinking about adding a Honda 2000watt generator to the rack I built on the rear.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:38 AM   #3

SUN #147
chriseck
Emam,thanks for the reply.As soon as the kids show me how to upload some pictures I will.Purchased the cabinet at WalMart for about $75.00.The wood color is close,used liquid nails and found some studs in the wall to secure it in place.We also have the front bedroom thats why I added the extra muffler.We dont mind the suttle noise thats herd inside.Vibration in minimal.Removed the gen from its cradle and used the orgional rubber mounts to install on the trailer frame.If you dont need A/c run ability I would go with the smaller generator as you suggest.Up grading to the Honda,yamaha type gen sets is a good idea,they cost more but run much quieter due to less internal engine noise.Ours is ok but would be nice if it had a auto govenor to adjust for various load conditions.Have to set gov pretty high in order to run A/c compressor during hot start cycling.Need a/c alot here in FL.Added larger fuel tank for 13hr run times under heavy load situations.I also changed the 30amp receptacle on the gen to rv style plug in which eliminates the adapter that would get hot after extended use.Bought this at HomeDepot for about $7.00.This allows me to have two 110v outlets left on gen to run refrigerators in the house during power failures[Hurricane season].
Old 01-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #4

SUN #115
emam
Have you had any problems with camp grounds and generator restrictions? We opted to spend the money on solar panels and 6-volt batteries due to our first camping experience where almost every camper in the place was running a generator early in the a.m. to use their appliances. Not good for a swollen head due to late night around the camp fire and a fair amount of pop's

I asked a few of the campers why they werent staying at the camp ground down the road which was right on Lake Superior (Northern Michigan) and they said that camp ground didnt allow generators. So we did our research and thought if camp grounds do that, we had better work around it. I also didnt want to contribute to my fellow camper with a loud generator running beside his trailer. If we do end up getting one, it'll be the whisper quiet one like a Honda/Yamaha style. So far, our batteries and inverter can run our A/C no problem and without blowing any fuses.

I cant wait to see some pictures of your set-up. Someone posted a how-to in the Sunline Community forum and it walks you right through the process.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
Old 01-10-2007, 02:01 PM   #5

SUN #147
chriseck
Sounds like you have a good aux power setup with the batteries.A small gen as you suggest would be perfect to help keep the batteries charged when the pannels cant.We dont dry camp much at all,most all have atleast electric and water.Only run gen at WalMarts/Truck stops thru the night.This allows us to get to our destination city after work but avoid tearing up the camper with a night time arrival at the campground.I can understand that in the dead of night how loud a gen really is.How long can you run your a/c on the batteries?What size a/c unit do you have?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #6

SUN #115
emam
Well the A/C will be a thing we'll have to try in a few months. We only turned it on while it was at General RV and in the garage after the install was complete to see if it would blow any fuses. The electrician said most blow a fuse because a normal battery cant handle the power surge when it first fires up. Once it's up and running, it doesnt draw too much power, it's just that intial power surge. He said the A/C, Microwave and Coffee Maker in that order are the 3 largest draws of power. The Coffee Maker was what surprised me?? I didnt know a hot plate drew so much power.

THe temperature is only 20 Degree's here right now (Go on keep laughing in your Florida sunshine) so running the A/C unit is out of the question. As soon as we get somewhere warm, I'll let you know how long it takes to drain the batteries.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com