Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #1

SUN #115
emam
Hiding the Stereo Speakers

Since I'm a music nut, I love to hear my music played over quality speakers and usually very loud I think I have over 50,000 songs in my MP3 file on my CPU or roughly 120gig of space!!

I owned a set of Klispch speakers for my Computer that we mounted in the cabinet in our 2499TT and they came with us on the journey. Originally we had the speakers sitting on the top shelf and when ever we moved, we would unhook the speakers and store them in the cabinet below.

Obviously after a few weeks of moving non-stop, this became very tiresome and I knew I needed a better way of mounting them. When I hooked the sound card out of my CPU to the AUX Input on the stock stereo, I noticed how much wasted space there was in that section of the cabinet.

I decided that I could pop out both of the panels that were just there for cosmetics, and hide the speakers in the wasted space of the cabinet.

This is what it looks like stock.

Here is how easy it is to pop out one of the panels where I mounted the speaker.

By removing the speaker stand that was mounted to the bottom, I was able to hide the spaker in the slot and mount it with some metal strapping material screwed to the base of the cabinet.

Of course I had made a few measurements before hand, and was very excited that the speaker fit almost perfectly. If you dont want to use Klispch, there are plenty of other speaker companies that make speakers this size that could be hidden in these compartments.

At one point I thought I had made a huge mistake when I realized the volume controls made one of the speakers too tall to fit. I about Crapped my pants when I discovered this, because all along, I had been doing all the measurements with the smaller speaker. All I could think of was Cindy bludgening me with the speaker for cutting into the panel. Then upon further inspection, I noticed that the volume controls just slide off the bottom of the speaker and I could mount them under the cabinet in the next storage compartment.

Here is what it looks like all put back together. You can see that the powered subwoofer hides in the bottom cabinet and really adds to the sound of the system.

And here is what it looks like with the covers installed and everything closed up.

The system sounds fantastic and really adds to the stock sound of the radio. If we watch movies on the flat screen up above, the subwoofer allows you to feel the movie and not having to worry about the speakers falling or being stored was well worth the hour it took to make this modifacation.

Hope you enjoy
Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Pat,

Very nice job, looks great.

Thanks for sharing.
Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Pat

Thanks for sharing. Good job. While I enjoy listening to music all the time in the shed, car etc, while camping I’m not so much a music listener. In fact the number of times I turned on our sound system in the last 3 years camping I can count on 2 fingers.

But, I do fall into the category of “Modification Nut”… And I have almost went into that area to add another storage compartment. You have now sparked another idea… I smell another mod in the works some day.

Also I see your lower 2 cabinet doors swing with the center column on one door. Did you do that or did Sunline change there ways and actually make the center post swing in 2007? In 2004 I had to modify mine to swing the center post with the door. One of the best mods’ I ever did for getting into any of the cabinets.

Thanks for sharing

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:16 PM   #4

SUN #115
emam
Hey John, I couldnt remember who had done it and gave me the idea, but now I think I know. If you were the one who posted those shots a while back, then thanks for the great idea.

I had to remove that center support to put the Subwoofer down there, and Cindy and I both commented that we wish we didnt have to put it back in. Then when I saw your idea in another post, I went ahead and screwed it to the door and shaved off just enough that it will still fit snug, but open freely.

THanks for the great idea, and I'm sure if Sunline was still in business and frequented our forums, they would take many of the great ideas you all come up with and incorporate them into the new models.

If we only used the camper on the weekends or for seasonal trips, I doubt I would have mounted the speakers and just would have made the space avaliable for storage, but being as we live in it full time, any chance we get we usually have the music playing.

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
Old 07-24-2007, 08:50 PM   #5

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Pat,

Great job! Those speakers look like they came there from the factory.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #6

SUN #307
purplesuebug
Pat,
Excellent job..........looks very professional. Marshall
purplesuebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #7

SUN #115
emam
Thanks guys for the Props!! If you guys think it looks good, then that's all I needed for confirmation that I did a good job.

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com