Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #1

SUN #187
precorguy
Help with removing sofa and cutting though floor? - yikes!

ok, i am getting ready to start working on enclosing the bottom of the trailer, but i need to do a couple of things

1. remove sofa - so that i can get easy access to the furnace and electrical --- how difficult is this - please tell me its just a couple of bolts - please!

2. i have to drill a 4" diam. hole in the floor so that i can drop a heat duct down under the trailer --- so what is below the lino?

__________ > lino
+++++++++ > sub floor
************ > insulation
========= > prtective under coating to weather protection
^^^^^^^^^ > any beams supporting the trailer

this is what i am thining --- i know that there are water lines the cross over the floor of the trailer in the bathroom that cannot be seen under the trailer - so there must be some space there some place that they cross - but i am sure they do not cross where i want to drop my vent pipe.

does anyone have any experience with making openings in the bottom of the trailer --- i just don't hope to do any damage in the porcess of trying to make things better.

3. what size is the drain pipe in the potable water tank - 3/4 or 1/2" since i am going to have to add a new tap set up to avoid freezing?

HELP!!!!!!!!

if anyone has any pics, that would be great ---- i plan to take pics of my activities once i start --- this weekend is going to be scaping and painting of the frame.

any help is appreciated.

alex

Old 06-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #2

SUN #626
Rich Nagel
Send a message via AIM to Rich Nagel Send a message via Yahoo to Rich Nagel
Re: Help with removing sofa and cutting though floor? - yike

Quote:
Originally Posted by precorguy
remove sofa - so that i can get easy access to the furnace and electrical --- how difficult is this - please tell me its just a couple of bolts - please!
I'm not sure about your specific model (mine is a 1991 T-2490 Solaris) but in my trailer it's simply four largish wood screws that hold the frame of the lounge (a FlexSteel 'convert-a-bed) to the wood mounts that are connected to the floor (two screws on each side).

See This Pic of the underside of mine, that horizontal black bar is one side of the lounge frame... it has a screw on the left, and one on the right (same with the other side of the frame - the left side of the lounge). BTW, that pic is a little renforcement job I did, the mounts for the lounge were extremely weak.

Quote:
i have to drill a 4" diam. hole in the floor so that i can drop a heat duct down under the trailer --- so what is below the lino?

---snip---

does anyone have any experience with making openings in the bottom of the trailer --- i just don't hope to do any damage in the porcess of trying to make things better.
I've drilled quite a few holes in the floor of my trailer <G>, never had any problems near the sofa section of it. Check This Message Thread for pics of quite a bit of the floor and walls ripped apart during a rebuild. Again, prolly a different model/year than yours, but it might give you an idea of what to expect

Rich Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:02 AM   #3

SUN #187
precorguy
Nagel:

wow thanks a lot - gives me a good idea of what is likely under the lino - mine is a 2007 T 2553 ---- thanks very much for the reply and information - nice job that you did on your unit!

alex
Old 06-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #4

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
I discovered a rotting floor last week after I pulled my front cargo door and frame to refurb it. I pushed in on the corner edge of the linoleum inside the hatch and it collapsed... as it did the whole 30" run of the door hatch. I took an ice pick and worked in towards the center and didn't hit good flooring till 24" into the middle of the camper. I don't know the extent of the damage aft yet as I need to pull the furnace and perhaps the fridge above it and work my way back.

I was ordered by the boss to leave it alone till after this weekend's M&G. We used it this past weekend without problems so unless we get a monsoon out camping, it'll hold if we're able to tow up to Mexico.

I'll do what I can to get some pics up for everyone to see what I uncover and how I rebuild it... I just hope it's like one of those really old houses and I find a hidden bag of money or a lost relic when I get in there. :P

The pics already up and shared by others are a great start to the project, thanks everyone!

Take care,
Jason
Old 06-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #5

SUN #379
2beagles
This is what the underside of my floor looks like:

2017 F-150 Crew Cab
2003 2570
2beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #6

SUN #626
Rich Nagel
Send a message via AIM to Rich Nagel Send a message via Yahoo to Rich Nagel
Quote:
wow thanks a lot - gives me a good idea of what is likely under the lino - mine is a 2007 T 2553 ---- thanks very much for the reply and information
Glad to be of help, good luck with your project

Quote:
nice job that you did on your unit!
Thanks Yep, done quite a few repairs and modifications on this old aging T-2490

Rich Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote