Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-29-2008, 07:30 AM   #1

SUN #695
minidiesel
Help with digital thermo

Have a 2002 267SR that I purchased about three months ago. Installed a digital thermostat yesterday and when I checked to see if every thing was working correctly the AC fan runs when the heat is on. When I bought it the heat was only run long enough to make sure it worked and I do not remember if the AC fan ran at that time or not. Is this normal or have I got something wired wrong?

Old 10-29-2008, 07:59 AM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help with digital thermo

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidiesel
Have a 2002 267SR that I purchased about three months ago. Installed a digital thermostat yesterday and when I checked to see if every thing was working correctly the AC fan runs when the heat is on. When I bought it the heat was only run long enough to make sure it worked and I do not remember if the AC fan ran at that time or not. Is this normal or have I got something wired wrong?
Here is the fairly common colors that go with both the duotherm and Hunter terminals. (Your wire colors may be different, but the duotherm to Hunter chart will still be the same.)

Function Color Hunter Terminal
--------------------------------------
+7.5.......RED......not used (tape off)
Cool.......YEL........Y
Furnace...WHT.....W
Hi Fan......BLU......Thru spst switch to G
Fan..........BRN.....G
Ground.....GRN.....RC

On the Hunter, also jumper RC to RH.

Can you confirm that this is how you have it wired?

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:41 AM   #3

SUN #695
minidiesel
Yes, this is the way I have it wired up. If the AC fan is not supposed to run when the heat is on I may have one of the wires from HI/LOW switched pinched into contact with another terminal when I pressed the housing for the thermostat back together.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #4

SUN #264
Quote:
Yes, this is the way I have it wired up. If the AC fan is not supposed to run when the heat is on I may have one of the wires from HI/LOW switched pinched into contact with another terminal when I pressed the housing for the thermostat back together.
A couple of other things to check:

First, some of the overhead AC units are actually heat/cool instead of just cool. If that is the case with your unit, then it is likely that both the propane furnace and the heat portion of the AC unit can run at the same time, provided you are on a shore line and not on battery. You will probably have to pull out the manual on your AC unit, verify the model number, and see what it says.

Second, check the FAN switch on the Hunter. It should have two positions: ON and AUTO. Does the AC fan come on regardless of which position this switch is in? That may help us figure out what is happening.

Third, gently pull as much of the multi-wire cable out of the wall behind the thermostat as you can. You might be surprised to find there is probably at least 6" and maybe as much as a foot or more of cable just tucked in the wall. One of our members here had a problem when installing his Hunter, and it turned out to be a spliced wire that was not initially visible. Worth a check.

Let me also suggest that you do a search on the Repairs & Maintenance and Modification forums on just the word "hunter" without the quotes. I only found a few message threads, and they all are worth reading over. I seem to recall that there were a number of folks who had questions about this install, and they all got helpful answers.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #5

SUN #695
minidiesel
Thanks very much for your help. I will check the paper work tonight on the AC, I don't think it has the heat.

The thermostat I got was not the Hunter but a Temprite from Home Depot.

If you think about it a home unit would need the fan on when you are heating or cooling.

Guess I could always pull the fuse to the AC when using the heat.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:00 AM   #6

SUN #695
minidiesel
I checked last night and my AC has no heater. Do you think this feature for the fan is built into the thermostat? Fan on when you heat or cool.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #7

SUN #264
Quote:
I checked last night and my AC has no heater. Do you think this feature for the fan is built into the thermostat? Fan on when you heat or cool.
Hard to tell because it is a thermostat that I am not familiar with.

Did you add the SPST switch for hi/lo fan? There may be something amiss in that area if you did.

Other than that, I am stumped. Most thermostats will treat the AC and heat as two completely separate functions and not run the AC fan when in heat mode.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:42 AM   #8

SUN #549
frank
Took a look at what HomeDepot offered online in the RiteTemp models. The least expensive was the 6020, so I took a shot at that, figuring it was possibly what you purchased.

The manual is here: http://www.ritetemp-thermostats.com/...tion_guide.pdf

Top of page 10, it shows the diagram for 4 wire heat/cool. That would be the diagram you should follow. The extra wire for the second fan speed would not be shown in their diagram and would be handled through an external switch.

Anyway, they show some jumper blocks which need to be set depending the sytem type. They want #3 set, and then either #6 or #7 - #7 for electric heat, #6 for gas or oil. Any chance you have that jumper on #7 instead of #6? I think that would cause your problem.

If you do have a different model, we can take a peek at that models instructions as well. I suspect it would have a similar mode selection that could make this happen.

- Frank
Old 11-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #9

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi MiniDiesel

Steve and Frank are on the scene so you are in good hands.

I’ll ad a few things to maybe help some. If you a have 2002 unit camper, I’m suspecting you have an Atwood Hydrotherm furnace and a Dometic Duotherm AC unit.

The AC comes out of the ceiling vents and the Heat comes out of the vents ducts near the floor. They are 2 totally separate systems. Each has it’s own blowers. Since you confirmed you do no have a heat strip in the AC unit, a special option, then the AC fan should not be running when the furnace runs.

I’m suspecting you have some wiring accidentally mixed up or your T’stat jumpers not right.

The low speed fan was mentioned, that low speed fan wiring is looking for an open path from DC common and it will run low speed once enabled. If it finds DC common it will run high, again once enabled. Meaning to run low speed the blue wire is unhooked from DC common. Or just floating in the air. Again once the fan is enabled.

Is your AC fan running high or low?

The main fan, or fan enable is also looking for DC common. If it gets a signal to DC common it will run even if the compressor is not running. Which “might” be what you are experiencing.

I did the Hunter thermostat conversion and here are some pic’s of the way the original Dometic T stat was wired. Along with the Dometic wiring diag. This might help tell you at least if you have the right wring in the right spot. Then there is the jumpers Frank talked about.

If you strike out and need a sounding board, like Frank said tell us the model you have and we too can look it up.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #10

SUN #695
minidiesel
Thanks again for your help. The model I have is ritetemp 8035C. It was the last one they had and got it at a good price. I think it is last years model. The way I have it hooked up is as follows.

Red wire not used
YELLOW wire to (Y) terminal labeled (Compressor)
WHITE wire to (W) terminal labeled (Heating Control)
BLUE wire to the manual switch I installed & then back to (G) terminal
labeled (Fan Relay)
BROWN wire to (G) terminal labeled (Fan Relay)
GREEN wire to (RC) terminal labeled (Cooling Power) This terminal came
with a jumper to (RH) terminal labeled (Heating Power) I did leave this
jumper in place.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #11

SUN #549
frank
Quote:
Thanks again for your help. The model I have is ritetemp 8035C. It was the last one they had and got it at a good price. I think it is last years model. The way I have it hooked up is as follows.
OK. Going by the manual for the 8035C (http://www.ritetemp-thermostats.com/...tion_guide.pdf) top of page 4, section 4 "Gas-Electric Selection" - there's a pair of headers on the back of the control unit that get shorted with a little block. Shorting one sets you for electric heat, shorting the other sets it for Gas heat.

You're going to want to double check that header and make sure you have the jumper block installed on the GAS pins. As per the manual, setting it to the electric position will make it behave exactly the way you describe.

- Frank
Old 11-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #12

SUN #695
minidiesel
The jumper was the problem, switched that and she is working fine.

Frank, John & Steve, again thanks so much for your help. Hope I can return the favor some day.

Greg
Old 11-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #13

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Frank, John & Steve, again thanks so much for your help. Hope I can return the favor some day.

Greg
Greg

Glad things worked out. Being able to post things back and forth on our virtual campfire here is sort of priceless. "We" all learn from each other and are better because of it. We "all" have something to contribute. You keep posting and I'm sure we will learn something from you too.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #14

SUN #549
frank
Quote:

Greg
Greg,

Glad we could help!

- Frank