Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #1

SUN #836
Jonboymd
Generators

Let me first say that I know almost nothing about generators. Have recently purchased a 2499 and am interested in buying a generator. Advice that I was given at one of the local RV shops was that I could probably get by with 3kw, would be more satisfied with 4.5kw, and could not go wrong with 6kw. However after searching old threads, it seems that there are many on this thread that are using much smaller gens. Would be willing to spend the money on one that will run the AC and whatever else I want to use at the time. Also will be using for TV, and laptop (and was advised to get one that "cleans up" the current for less interference.) I was also advised that the easiest thing to do would be mount a receiver hitch to the rear of TT and insert a tray with portable generator chained to it.
Essentially, my questions are: 1. what size gens are yall using, 2. how do you have it mounted, and 3. what size / brand should I get.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Jon

Old 05-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #2

SUN #115
emam
You cant go wrong with either of the top two name brands. Either Honda or Yamaha both have models that will run what you're trying to keep you comfortable while camping.

You'll need at least a 3000watt model to keep yer' A/C running and being able to use anything else at the same time.

We have two Honda EU2000i's and they work flawlessly. Granted we rarely run them because we always try and follow comfortable weather, but they can sit for months and will always start on the first pull. Moving up to the 3000watt models of either brand will also give you electric start.

The reason we opted for two 2000watt models rather than go with one 3000watt, that would have worked fine, is if all we need to do is run a few items, or just recharge the bank of batteries, then we only have to get one generator out of the bed of the truck. They're light enough that my wife can lift them out of the back of the truck by herself. I think they're around 50lbs? Not sure exactly

If we need to run the A/C (one will do it, but neither the A/C nor the generator like it) we get them both out and hook up the parallel kit which now gives us 4000watts of Pure Sine Wave power.

Remember that both of these models, (The Yamaha and the Honda) are whisper quiet, but if hooked to the frame of the camper, you WILL feel it inside the camper. A mount installed to carry it is a great idea, but when running the generator, you'll want to set it on the ground.

Dont waste your money trying to get a cheaper model and make it quiet. There is a thread on RVnet that is a few hundred pages long of things people have done to theirs to try and make them as quiet as a stock Honda or Yamaha. In the long run they would have saved a ton of time and money just to go with one of these two name brands in the first place.

Good Luck, and Happy Camping

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2 kw Honda eu2000i. It will run almost everything in the TT except the AC. We do have to be a bit careful not to run multiple high useage appliances at the same time but otherwise, the unit is fine for our needs.

We just carry it in the back of the pickup truck and then chain it to the TT frame or a tree when in camp.

On brand, I only recommend the Hondas or Yamahas because of their high reliablitly, durability, and low noise factor. Any genset that is noisy or annoying at 50 feet or more is not appropriate for campground use IMHO. Gotta be kind to the neighbors. You can buy lots less expensive generators, but you may not be happy with them a few years down the line.

On size... Your generator guy isn't wrong if you really need to use all your appliances at the same time; 4.5 to 6 kw will do it. But there is a cost factor to consider. The Honda 2 kw that I have retails between $900 and $1,000. The Honda 3 kw is nearly $2,000. Beyond that, I don't know the pricing, but expect it to be about $1,000 more for each step beyond 3 kw.

Yamahas are priced much the same, but they offer a 2.6 kw model for about $1,300 or so. This is enough to get the AC running without damaging the unit. It's not the constant draw of the AC that's the problem, it is the initial surge to get it going that defeats the 2 kw models.

Some other considerations: The Honda 2 kw is about 50# and easily moved about by me or my wife although I get the task of lifting it up into the truck. 3 kw generators and larger are much heavier, and require wheels.

Whatever you do, buy a generator that provides clean power for computers and other high-tech electronics. It'll say so right in the specs. If it doesn't say so, it probably does not generate clean enough power for these devices.

We camp at least 30 days a year in NY State Park campgrounds where there are no hookups. Most of the campers we see there are using either the Honda or Yamaha 1 or 2 kw models. I expect to see the Yamaha 2.6 kw models begin to appear this coming season. Most of the folks we talk to cite the lower cost, extremely low noise factor, and the durability and reputation of these two brands as the main reason for their choices.

Food for thought.... If your budget allows for a 6 kw generator, you may be better served to buy a 2 or 2.6 kw unit and put the rest of the money into solar panels, a bank of 6 vdc batteries and a big inverter. Ask eman about that as he has that exact setup in his 2499.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #4

SUN #115
emam
One other thing to consider and the real reason we have 2 Honda's (Shhhh, dont tell anyone) was I bid on two different models that were going online. One on Ebay and one on Craig's List and ended up getting both of them....OOPS!

Got one off of Craig's List for only $600!! The one off of Ebay was a bit more, basically full price, but it came with the parallel kit which is a couple hundred bucks by itself.

I'd also agree with Steve that if you have the money to dump on a 6kw unit, buy the 2000kw or 3000kw and spend the rest on a few solar panels, some good 6-volt batteries and a nice Pure Sine Wave inverter.

This is the real reason we have only run the generators a few times in the past 3 years on the road. We almost never are without a full bank of batteries from out 3 solar panels. Best money we've ever spent on the camper set-up. Might not be worth it if you're only going to go camping a few times per year, but in the long run, they'll pay for themselves a few times over.

Ours have saved us thousands of dollars in campground fees by allowing us to boondock almost 99% of the time for free.

Wasnt that funny that Steve and I posted almost the exact same comments at the exact same time. I must be able to type a few words per minute faster than he can which is why my post came up first....

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #5

SUN #836
Jonboymd
nice info guys, thanks
Jon
Old 05-04-2009, 04:35 AM   #6

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
One thing to remember is that a load exceeding 3600 watts (120v X 30a = 3600 watts) or 3.6kw will trip the trailer's main breaker.

So, unless your planning on running a seperate extension cord independant of the trailer's electrical system, anything bigger than 4,000 watts (4kw) is wasting your $$$.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:20 AM   #7

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
I looked at 4 different Honda models:

2000i -- 53 to 59 db -- 47# -- $1,079 -- 20 amp receptacle -- 15 hr on 1 gal of fuel

2000iA -- 53 to 59 db -- 47# -- $1,199 - has 30 amp RV receptacle - designed for tandem with another 2000i when needed. Available Summer '09. Also 15 hr on 1 gal of gas

3000i -- 57-65 db -- 78# -- $1,999 -- 20 & 30 amp receptacles -- 7.7 hr on 1.56 gal -- can be paralled with another 3000i like the 2000's

3000iSA -- 49-58 db -- 134# -- $2,199 -- 20 & 30 amp receptacles -- 20 hrs on 3.4 gal

I didn't look at anything bigger due to the TT's 30 amp max fusing.

All and more can be found at: http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...G&category=all

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:01 AM   #8

SUN #836
Jonboymd
Thanks again
I am going to go with a pair of the honda 2000s.
Jon