Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-29-2017, 06:45 AM   #1

SUN #9129
mcj7247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback on convertible sofa as a bed? Futon replacement?

I have some plans to host a family member or friends on occasion during extended stays and I wanted to see what folks thought about sleeping on the convertible couches? Thumbs up or thumbs down as a second bed? I'm not sure if all Sunlines have similar couches but this would be in a T-1950. I've never slept in one before and wanted to see if others think they serve the purpose for a few nights? This would be a for a single person, not a couple and they'd be under 6' tall and 175lbs. My sisters are significantly smaller but some guy friends are about 6'.

I have a futon at home with the upgraded 8" mattress and it's as comfortable as my queen and was thinking to remove the Sunline couch and install a futon. I know the futon's frame is pretty heavy. Has anyone replaced the couch with a futon? Any feedback?

Old 05-29-2017, 08:34 AM   #2

SUN #128
Tweety
Here are a few things to check before proceeding. I think a futon will be too wide and long to fit in the space. Also, there may be a tank or water heater or some other utility under the sofa.

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #3

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
We've never slept on the fold-out sofa in our 2363, or even tested it for comfort, so take this for what it's worth. I've read where people have used the swim "noodles" to even out the area where the couch folds; you can use it whole or cut it in half.

If it's being used more than just a single occasion, you might want to consider buying one of the gel foam mattress pads to even out the sleeping surface. We bought this one for a pop-up bed that we took on a recent trip and it really made it comfortable for sleeping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:41 PM   #4

SUN #9129
mcj7247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabes View Post
We've never slept on the fold-out sofa in our 2363, or even tested it for comfort, so take this for what it's worth. I've read where people have used the swim "noodles" to even out the area where the couch folds; you can use it whole or cut it in half.

If it's being used more than just a single occasion, you might want to consider buying one of the gel foam mattress pads to even out the sleeping surface. We bought this one for a pop-up bed that we took on a recent trip and it really made it comfortable for sleeping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
Thanks for the info Wannabes. The topper is a great idea for the regular bed but I'm not sure it would be as convenient for the sofa. Any idea if they would be able to fold well when in the the sofa position? It also looks like they are difficult to store once they are unpackaged and return to "normal" size after shipping. Any suggestions?
Old 05-29-2017, 07:52 PM   #5

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
We use a 3" topper on the pulled out sofa of our Sunline. It's pretty uncomfortable without it IMO.

It's kind of a permanent thing for us as the topper is cumbersome to constantly remove and install.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:22 PM   #6

SUN #4050
Don't know how the topper would work when the couch was folded up, imagine that it would be a bit bulky and don't know if it'd stay in place. It would definitely be difficult to take it off and store it in the trailer.

Matthew and Lisa
Old 05-30-2017, 06:22 PM   #7

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabes View Post
Don't know how the topper would work when the couch was folded up, imagine that it would be a bit bulky and don't know if it'd stay in place. It would definitely be difficult to take it off and store it in the trailer.

That's what I'm saying. They're heavy and bulky. We only take ours out in the off season. Otherwise it's a full time bed.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:34 PM   #8

SUN #4050
Yeah, that's what I figured. Our topper in the pop-up stayed flat all the time so had no idea if it could stay in place when folding up the sofa. (Ours isn't real heavy, just bulky.) I thought more in-line with keeping the sofa in the bed position.

(What's great about the SOC: someone is bound to have some experience with things like this, as you do.)

Matthew and Lisa