Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-01-2017, 08:27 PM   #1

SUN #7990
BenB is an unknown quantity at this point
Exterior Fridge Vent Fan

This is the installation of my first and second fridge fan. The first fan worked great, but died (I figured out why) and upgraded control for the second.

I installed the first exterior fridge vent fan last year when the roof was being replaced before the fridge vent cover/base was installed. I took an old fan from a dead computer and used some lightweight angle brackets to mount it.

I drilled holes in the ends and screwed upward on the underside lip of the opening and used sheet metal screws to attach the fan to the brackets.

To get power to the fan I used some thermostat wire because it what was laying around, any wire with two separate strands or two single wires would work. I ran the wire down the fridge vent to the bottom back of the fridge inside behind the lower vent cover. A bolt taped to the wire as a weight and dropped down opening did the trick.

I cut the connector off the fan used wire splices to connect to the thermostat wire and electrical taped the connection. This fan also had a speed switch which I cable tied to the bracket with the other wires.

I connected the wires to power and ground off the fridge circuitry and put the fan on a manual switch. I turned it on/off when the fridge was on by removing the lower vent cover. This was supposed to get me going to the first campout (the roof replacement was sucking all my time) but was used all camping season.

On the last campout of the year my fan wouldn’t turn on, the fan had died. I figured it was my fault for using a used 10 year old computer fan; however it turns out that probably was only part of its downfall.

Current Camper: 2006 Sunline T-264SR
Previous Camper: 1998 Coleman Mesa
Tow Vehicle: 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500, 8.1L, 4X4
DirecLink Brake Controller, Draw-Tite Ultra Frame Receiver, Reese HP Trunnion Bar Hitch W/ HP DC
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #2

SUN #7990
BenB is an unknown quantity at this point
Fast forward a year later, working on winter camping projects I start researching a replacement fan and automatic control, the on/off switch was often forgotten and ran the entire time, not just when needed. Looking into computer fans I learned that they have two types of bearings a sleeve type and ball bearing. The sleeve types are not supposed to be mounted horizontally, for that a ball bearing type should be used as they can be mounted both ways. This is most likely why my other one failed, it was a sleeve bearing that I mounted horizontally (when in the computer it came from, it was vertical).

I purchased a new 120mm dual ball bearing fan from Amazon, $9.99 at the time.
https://www.amazon.com/Antec-TriCool...ll+bearing+fan

To active the fan when the fridge was running I also purchased a snapdisc thermal control switch 100 degree on/ 85 degree off from Amazon, $9.75 at the time.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To gain access to the old fan I removed the vent cover on the roof exposing the screen covered base.

I used diagonal cutters to snip the screen on three sides of one half to remove the old fan.

New Fan

The new fan has a male/female quick connector to a one wire and two wire plug. The plug with the red and black wire was removed and wire spliced to the wire going to my old power/ground wire. The white wire is not used in this application and can be taped out of the way. It is for controls when used in a computer.

The fan was the same size as my old one and bolted right into my bracket, wires taped and cable tied like the old fan. I placed a bead of non-sag Dicor caulk around the screen to “glue” it back in place and replaced the top cover caulking the screws to seal out water. Work on the roof is done.

I made mounting brackets for the snapdisc switch from metal pipe hanger and bolted them to the switch.

I attached the switch to the coil with a couple hose clamps. When the fridge is running the coil will warm the switch and closes the circuit to send power to the fan. When the fridge is off and coil cools the switch opens stopping the power.

For the wiring this is what I did (image below for reference). I suggest all wiring be done with the fridge power off and the battery disconnected. Locate the 12volt power and ground. The black wire terminal (red arrow) is the 12volt power. The white wire terminal (blue arrow) is the ground. Use a screw driver to unscrew the terminal and insert the stripped end of the wires, tighten terminal. The ground terminal should be connected to the wire running up to the fan (the black wire on the fan is ground). I ran the power wire to a low amp blade fuse connecting it with spade terminals (yellow arrow). Then I went to the manual switch (this is optional, I did since I already had it there) and then to the snapdisc switch. Then the snapdisc switch is connected to power side wire of the fan (red wire on fan). Cable tie wires nicely and route out of the way of components that will get hot such as the coils and propane burner.

Current Camper: 2006 Sunline T-264SR
Previous Camper: 1998 Coleman Mesa
Tow Vehicle: 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500, 8.1L, 4X4
DirecLink Brake Controller, Draw-Tite Ultra Frame Receiver, Reese HP Trunnion Bar Hitch W/ HP DC
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote