Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-26-2019, 08:30 AM   #1

SUN #11675
Dave22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Converter recommendation

I am looking for a charger converter that can be hardwired into the breaker like the old 3200s. Everything i have been looking at seems to have a plug on the end of it and i would like to avoid adding an outlet in what little space i have under the counter of a 16ft rig.

Any recommendations on whats out there for this application. Will also be requiring a new distribution board. doesnt seem that there are any currently produced horizontal chargers that provide those either. although i would prefer a board on the unit thats easy enough to add a small board separately. I do not want to go to a vertical cabinet face power station because it will be simply be to much work to modify the small cabinet opening under the fridge to make it fit.

- thanks

Old 11-26-2019, 04:01 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Cut the plug off wire it direct or use the power lead to the old converter in a J box with an outlet. You really don't need a new power distribution panel it already has a #8 wire going to the old converter so you need to land it and the battery wire under the positive lug in the new converter yep both of them together. It's really not for the faint of heart so if you are not familiar with all the wiring stuff it would be a good ideal to ask someone locally if they can help.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:13 AM   #3

SUN #11675
So bascially just leave the old converter in place and run a pos an ned wire from the old converter back to it board right.

I quickly made this drawing of what i was picturing the wires on the right lead to the battery
Old 11-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #4

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the Progressive Dynamics model that I have been looking at as a replacement is a hardwired model. I could be wrong. It is a 30-amp unit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OR41J8...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 11-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #5

SUN #11675
I bought a powermax PM4-45 last night. I had a post trying to figure out the distribution after mainahs post but i dont know what happened to it. I think he was telling me to wire the power and neg off the new converter to the batter and then a second wire back out of the new converters pos and neg back to the old converters distribution board
Old 11-27-2019, 12:27 PM   #6

SUN #2097
I am going to warn you do not buy a progressive dynamics converter from Amazon they most likely are Chinese knock offs. They have no serial numbers and progressive will not touch them. This info is from bestconverter.com "We have been notified by Progressive Dynamics, Inc. that many PDI converter products are being sold by unauthorized dealers on Amazon and auction type sites without serial numbers and not packaged in the correct boxes. Progressive Dynamics will not support warranty claims from products purchased on Amazon, Ebay or other similar auction sites". For about the same price you can buy a 45 amp Progressive Dynamics from bestconverter. No matter how you look at it one way or another it will have to be wired frankly the simplest way would be an outlet connected to the existing converter wire this also gives you the option to unplug it if anything ever happens to it and plug a new one in. If you use a metal box for the outlet it will have to have a ground wire attached to the outlet and the box if you go with plastic only the outlet needs the ground wire.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #7

SUN #2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22 View Post
I bought a powermax PM4-45 last night. I had a post trying to figure out the distribution after mainahs post but i dont know what happened to it. I think he was telling me to wire the power and neg off the new converter to the batter and then a second wire back out of the new converters pos and neg back to the old converters distribution board
That is correct both wires one from the DC load center and the battery lead from the old converter (usually black) same holds true for the negative leads (usually white). There will be a ground lug (fastened to the converter case) on the new converter this is only connected to the camper frame wire there should be one on the old converter it most likely will be bare copper smaller wire it is the only wire that belongs there if it is colored it should be green.