Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-28-2007, 11:46 AM   #1

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Bike Rack used as a Blue Tote Carrier

In a previous topic I was asked about our blue tote carrier that showed in this picture:

Instead of hijacking that thread, I decided to start a new topic showing and explaining what I’ve done to carry our blue tote. So, Markers Mark, this ones for you (sort-of sounds like a commercial doesn't it :P ).

I haven’t used this on our new trailer yet, but we used it all the time on our previous Sunline Solar T-2670 pictured above. So most of the pictures are with the carrier not mounted on the trailer, sorry, but I hope you still get the general idea of how it works and that it may give you some ideas of your own for those that have a tote.

As probably most of you have come to realize, I’m cheap, so I try and use anything lying around. So to create something to carry our blue tote, I grabbed an old bumper mounted bike rack that I hadn’t thrown out yet (I’m lazy and some-what of a pack rat too ).

The chain and lock hanging off the bike rack are due to keeping the tote safe and secure when we had the trailer in storage. On our previous Sunline I kept the tote mounted all summer long. Plus the chain and lock added some extra security when traveling.

For the bumper mounting brackets I used some ¾” x 7” bolts, nuts, washers, & lock washers and cut, drilled, and painted some metal plate to us as the back plate on the inside of the bumper. It probably would have been easier to get two U bolts, but I could find any the right size at the local hardware stores.

I positioned the bike arms at the bottom of the bike rack frame with the middle depression pointing down. This aids in securing the tote as is shown in a later picture.

When I mounted the bike frame on the bumper of the trailer I positioned it so that the bike arms were the right distance apart such that the arms fit between the blue tote and its wheels.

The axle of the blue tote wheels fit into the depression of the bike rack arms.

The bike rake was tall enough to reach about ¾ of the way up the back of the tote. This helped in stabilizing and securing the tote while traveling.

I used bungee cords to attach and secure the tote on the bike rack. As mentioned above I also had a chain attached to the bike rack that I put through the tote handle and locked it as added protection in case on of the bungee cords snapped while traveling.

Hopefully this may spark some ideas for others that are looking for ideas how to carrier their tote.

Hope everyone has a fun filled and safe 4th of July.
Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #2

SUN #132
Makers Mark
Thanks Hutch,
That is simple, and cheap and thats for me too. Like you said for the most part I know in advance if the tote is needed or not so I will place it in the TV. Would be nice for transporting tote on TT making room for firewood or other things in TV. Appreciate you time, great post as always.
Have a great and safe 4TH.
MM

2015 Rockwood 2608WS (SOB)
SUN # 132
Makers Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:56 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hutch

I would offer a different adjective than "Cheap"

Creative!

Thanks for sharing.