Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #1

SUN #549
frank
Been busy on the 2363!

Once I got the water damage repaired, I got to work on some customizations to make things a little more comfortable for us.

First, I pulled out the fridge and installed some TV jacks high up on the side of the fridge cabinet. I was able to get into the ceiling above the fridge and tap into the coaxial cable running to the bedroom TV location. 12 & 120V power was stolen from the fridge. All the wiring was terminated into plastic boxes which were thoroughly sealed to prevent any chance of combustion gases from the fridge entering the coach. While I was in there, I also reinforced the cabinet side to hold an LCD TV, and added a mounting bracket. Oh, I also installed one of those $20 hunter thermostats to replace the broken factory one:

Added an inexpensive 19" HD LCD that was on sale at Best Buy (least expensive 19" I could find). Although the TV is right next to the door, it barely protrudes into the door opening (maybe a half inch). As such, there's no issues with it being in the way.

I plan on trimming the mounting spacers down to angle the tv down and to the right just a tad. This will make viewing even more pleasant from the couch. It's not bad the way it is, but I think it could be better.

All the original aluminum blinds in the coach were bent and/or broken. I found a place online (posey supply) that sold vinyl blinds in the oddball widths at a reasonable price (who coach under $80 delivered). So we washed all the curtains, shampooed the valences and I replaced all the blinds with the vinyl ones, and then trimmed them to the proper length. Here's a few examples:

Installed a Carbon Monoxide detector for some peace of mind:

The original smoke detector was looking pretty beat up, so replaced that as well:

Built a pair of between-the-wheel chocks. Didn't have any 4x4 laying around, so I laminated some 2x4's:

Replaced the broken vent for the range hood:

Made up the fence post sewer hose carrier and got that mounted up. Mounting was very simple, a pair of 3" corner brackets secured to the frame with ~6" hose clamps. Also replaced both dump valves (tank was already clean and sanitized so it could be repaired, might as well change the valves too):

The bed would never stay up when lifted. That was getting real old real quick. I took a look at the gas props and decided they would work much better if they were lifting further away from the hinges. Works great now!

Put together a water pump isolator with a couple of small plywood scraps and a piece of packing foam. Used some 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to adhere the foam to the plywood, making a sandwich. I then drilled holes through the top piece of ply and foam, so I could anchor it to the floor. Then the pump goes on top. Much quieter! If we decide to do much camping off the tank, I'll add a small surge tank as well.

We're Sirius subscribers, so I mounted a Sirius mobile antenna up on the roof. It's stuck to the roof with a couple of dabs of caulk. I sealed around it with Dicor to prevent water from getting under it, freezing and popping it loose. Also dicored the cord to the roof to prevent it from chafing the roof in the wind. Please pardon the sloppy dicor job, it does look a little better now that it has had time to level out I snuck the cable under the vinyl strip in the corner trim, then it's under the coach and sneaks up into the living area with the wiring that terminates under the couch.

I did about 100 other things, but didn't get any pictures of those. The major job was repairing the black tank and the pipes feeding the drain valves. I didn't get any pictures of this (too tight under there), but I will probably document what I did with some scrap later in case someone needs to do the same.

With a little luck, the hitch parts I ordered will arrive this week, and we will take our first trip next weekend to French Creek state park in PA. Then in a few more weeks it's the Meet & Greet. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

- Frank

Old 05-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #2

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
Very nice stuff! Appreciate you sharing all the upgrades and pictures.

Take care,
Jason

Old 05-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #3

SUN #115
emam
Hey Frank, looks like the leak turned out to be a good thing.

Nice work!

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #4

SUN #549
frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by emam
Hey Frank, looks like the leak turned out to be a good thing.

Nice work!
Well, I do know my way around every inch of the coach now!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #5

SUN #139
Al in PA
Frank:

Great work! I really like your sewer hose storage solution. Between the rear storage compartment and the spare tire carrier, the back bumper is not a good place to mount a hose storage container on a 2553, but your idea would work perfectly.
2007 T-2553
2003 Silverado 1500
Al in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #6

SUN #549
frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in PA
Frank:

Great work! I really like your sewer hose storage solution. Between the rear storage compartment and the spare tire carrier, the back bumper is not a good place to mount a hose storage container on a 2553, but your idea would work perfectly.
I can't take credit for that idea. I believe I have the fence post carrier on here (maybe it was Kitty that had it) and I have seen it a bunch of times now over on rv.net.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Frank

Very nice work! And thanks for sharing the pic's.

You said you removed the fridge, do you have any pics of the fridge roof vent from the inside.

I want to install one of those fridge coil venting fans up top and was wondering what it looked like on the inside before I tore into mine.

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #8

SUN #549
frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB
Frank

Very nice work! And thanks for sharing the pic's.

You said you removed the fridge, do you have any pics of the fridge roof vent from the inside.

I want to install one of those fridge coil venting fans up top and was wondering what it looked like on the inside before I tore into mine.

Thanks

John
Sorry, John. Dealing with that fridge (heavy and a REAL tight squeeze) was no picnic and I completely forgot the camera.

I can tell you that it's a simple "box" lined with fiberglass insulation. There's a hole in the ceiling the same size as the roof vent. Pretty straight forward, and basically what you would expect to find in there.

It might actually be easier to pull the vent off the roof and reinstall it to gain access for something small like one of those fans. That's only held in place with a few screws, putty tape & lap sealant. One man job vs. the two man to move the fridge

- Frank