Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-21-2016, 04:34 PM   #21

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have seen campers hitting low limbs while the wife stands there yelling her head off. I would bet there will be times the driver will look at the wrong camera or misjudge distances in monitors. Poop will happen. We did better with two-way radios, after the wife and I started working together without making each other mad from our frustrations.

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:05 AM   #22

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Barbara and I have used cellphones to help us get the camper backed in. This is especially helpful when arriving late and not wanting to annoy the other campers with "Turn left!, left!, stop! stop! STOPPPP!!!!"

So far, I haven't been able to find actual videos of back up camera views, so I don't know how much of an advantage they provide. I'll just have to try it myself.
Thanks,
Rich

vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:56 AM   #23

SUN #1830
That sounds like a plan. I would still have her stand at the rear to double check you.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #24

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrt View Post
Barbara and I have used cellphones to help us get the camper backed in. This is especially helpful when arriving late and not wanting to annoy the other campers with "Turn left!, left!, stop! stop! STOPPPP!!!!"

So far, I haven't been able to find actual videos of back up camera views, so I don't know how much of an advantage they provide. I'll just have to try it myself.
Thanks,
Rich
Mary & I started using cell phones also and that's also worked well for us.

I've been thinking about a backup camera only to keep tabs on our bikes while traveling. We have a rear hitch on our trailer that I have a bike carrier for.

I agree with you Rich, I'm also not sure how much the backup camera will help with backing up, though I have a friend with one that say's it's of great help.

For what it's worth.
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:59 PM   #25

SUN #1830
The rear camera will do a great job of watching the bikes. Sometimes I use our camera while traveling. Peace of mind is a good thing.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:16 AM   #26

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
I spoke with a person at Rear View Safety yesterday. I wanted to get a little more detail on the systems that would work for my application. I found out that their 83112 RVS-83112 | Wireless Hitch Camera | Rear View Safety is for hitching up only (not for continuous use) because it's battery operated and shuts off after 15 minutes to preserve the battery. That's OK, but this person also said that there may be interference from the aluminum siding and the TPMS. A wired camera would avoid this problem. Many of their other camera systems run $250.00 and up and I don't want to spend that much, so I'll keep looking. This is not one of my current top priorities, so I may not do anything about it until the spring camping season.

There's an interesting video on YouTube
vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:08 PM   #27

SUN #1830
I think I heard where some people were using home security systems on vehicles. I think this system with two cameras was mentioned. 4 Channel Wireless Surveillance System with 2 Cameras

It is expandable to four cameras. Not sure how it would be connected. Maybe a small 110V A/C power supply? It could even be used at the campsite/home/vehicle by moving the monitor from vehicle to camper or camper to home. Price isn't so bad either since it could be configured to use anywhere.

More information to overload us, LOLOL!

Edited to add: It says it is wireless but you will have to run 110V to the cameras since they do not run from batteries. The monitor will also need power.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:58 PM   #28

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
I think I heard where some people were using home security systems on vehicles. I think this system with two cameras was mentioned. 4 Channel Wireless Surveillance System with 2 Cameras

It is expandable to four cameras. Not sure how it would be connected. Maybe a small 110V A/C power supply? It could even be used at the campsite/home/vehicle by moving the monitor from vehicle to camper or camper to home. Price isn't so bad either since it could be configured to use anywhere.

More information to overload us, LOLOL!

Edited to add: It says it is wireless but you will have to run 110V to the cameras since they do not run from batteries. The monitor will also need power.
I downloaded the manual. The monitor needs 5vdc and the cameras need 9vdc, all supplied by wall worts. It's easy to find adapters for or rig up power at those voltages in vehicles and RV's.

But for $279 for 2 cameras, you're in the same ball park as the hardwired systems from suppliers like Rear View. However, the distances offered are attractive: 150' indoors and up to 450' outdoors.

More overload for sure.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #29

SUN #1830
The difference is the camera. Where the field of view for the "hitch helper" camera is narrower the field of view for the home security camera is wider and would almost capture those low limbs in campsites. Hopefully. Also, the night vision seemed better than a backup cam at distances. It could be easy to power the wall wort power supplies without sacrificing the equipment by running 110V instead of 12V. That would keep the versatility of the system. I have had that system here at home without using it on the camper. A good system, good range around the yard (more than 75') and able to connect to larger monitors through cinderblock walls. The costs don't seem so bad considering the camera quality and the ability to use the system at home as well. Connect to a recorder and you can use it all the time, not just camping. Seeing on the road, seeing at home to protect the camper and other vehicles. The costs become more reasonable, maybe.

Edited to add: It is getting where home security is more important than the backup camera. Even here is this little hamlet there are thieves wanting to commit crimes of convenience. Like the woman across the street that forgot to lock her car and lost a credit card and thousands of dollars that took almost a year to recover. Being able to see your yard, and your neighbors, can help reduce crime and maybe insurance rates. Nice to have eyes while you are sleeping that watch for you.