Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #1

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
Awning: First world problem

Just back from my first week-long shakedown, and aside from a minor plumbing issue [resolved], it was near-flawless.

But my inner nerd had a problem with the fact that the prevailing breezes kept flipping the awning valance up so it laid on top instead of hanging down to cover the roller and shed rain as intended.

Anyone have a really non-intrusive solution for that? I abhor cutesy hangy-down thingies.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:38 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I usually have camping themed lights clipped on with clothespins. It can still flip up, but only with a lot of wind. If you don't want anything hanging from it, I guess you could still try to clip and tie it down to something, or hang something with a little weight on each end.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:18 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess once it's raining the water will flatten it out if not there really is nothing the rain water will bother the hardware is all aluminum and stainless. Camp more worry less!
Old 08-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #4

SUN #10986
Well, as I said, I'm a nerd and pretty anti-decorative doodad. Took a chance on this "light rope" from Amazon, and I love it. No cutesy hangy-down and it just does the job.

The point isn't rain damage to the roller, just that it's yugly when naked. Maybe I'll see if I can come up with a way to sew some lead weights into the valance. Prefer a solution that can be permanent and just roll up with the awning.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:06 PM   #5

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
And, here I thought I had nerdy issues LOL

This past weekend we borrowed our daughter's tent trailer. Well, we ended up with a super nice breeze, leaves were blowing and we could hear the waves from the lake lapping onto the shore....Peaceful right?

Then, it happened. The awning on her tent trailer has 3 cross poles going FROM the trailer out TO 3 upright poles. During the night with this PEACEFUL breeze I kept hearing this "twanging" sound. It kept waking me up as one of those annoying intermittent noises... grrr.
The next morning I played with various components to duplicate this sound. It turned out to be the spring INSIDE the cross poles used for the telescopic compression of the pole. So each time the awning flapped on it, the inner spring went "Twang".
Ok, so how do I fix that at 3:am?. I'm at home now so I'll let my son-in-law know and let him fix it LOL

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:42 PM   #6

SUN #10986
I carry a plethora of bungee cords and cargo straps. I might have spent an hour or so doing creative spiderwebbing with those. More likely, toss down a couple of stiff drinks and nod off into oblivion.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:41 AM   #7

SUN #11059
Ketchakah is an unknown quantity at this point
Velcro - removable Double sided carpet tape - permanent Maybe would work ?
Old 08-31-2019, 12:58 PM   #8

SUN #10986
Good thought. I may try something along those lines.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #9

SUN #8853
ggrvguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Just back from my first week-long shakedown, and aside from a minor plumbing issue [resolved], it was near-flawless.

But my inner nerd had a problem with the fact that the prevailing breezes kept flipping the awning valance up so it laid on top instead of hanging down to cover the roller and shed rain as intended.

Anyone have a really non-intrusive solution for that? I abhor cutesy hangy-down thingies.

I just roll the awning up 1/4 turn so the valance hangs straight down. It makes it impossible to lay on top. But usually my wife hangs little cutsey lights from the valance anyway.
Gary G